Amenorrhea cause weight gain?

I've hit my goal weight more than a year ago. I was having major examinations and stuff so it caused amenorrhea and over the past few months I've been gaining weight even though I have been tracking my food and stuff. So is the weight gain related to it? I went to the doctor and started to take hormones to induce period, will it help to lose the weight that I gained?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    How tall are you and what do you currently weigh?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What caused the amenorrhea? Did you lose too much weight? Did you cut too much fat from your diet?

What is your current height and weight,do you need to gain weight? Do you suffer from an eating disorder?
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    How tall are you and what do you currently weigh?

I am 161cm and currently weigh 51kg.
  • Wingg_
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What caused the amenorrhea? Did you lose too much weight? Did you cut too much fat from your diet?

What is your current height and weight,do you need to gain weight? Do you suffer from an eating disorder?

I am 161 cm and weigh like 51kg now.
    I have a balanced diet of fat, protein and carbs.
    After I reached my goal weight I was having my period.
    When I first started to have amenorrhea the doctor said I was too stressed.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    edited December 2015
    If you have put weight on and are currently 51kilos I would say being underweight has caused the amenorrhea, weight gain is just a co-incidence, if you hadn't put weight on you would still have amenorrhea.

51kilos is at the lowest end of the healthy weight range for your height, how much weight have you gained recently?
  • Sued0nim
    Sounds like you need to put on weight and eat sufficient fat to help get your hormones stabilised. Your body is telling you you are too thin

Is that what the doctor said?
  • Sued0nim
    Her ticker says she wants a BMI of 18.5

What about your body do you like / dislike? What is your body ideal?
  • Wingg_
    Sounds like you need to put on weight and eat sufficient fat to help get your hormones stabilised. Your body is telling you you are too thin

Is that what the doctor said?

The doctor said I was too stressed. I used to weigh like 42kg so I gained weight to 45 kg (goal) and I had my period.
  • Wingg_
    Her ticker says she wants a BMI of 18.5

What about your body do you like / dislike? What is your body ideal?

I like my body before the recent gain. Now it is very obvious that I've gained a lot of weight and some of my clothes don't fit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sorry you said you were 161cm which is 5 '3 and a half and you weighed 51kg. Your ticker says you have 2kg which would put you at 49kg a BMI of 18.5

Where has 42 and 45kg come in?

It is good that your periods returned when you put on weight and unsurprising. Being too thin affects hormones, having inadequate fat intake affects hormones ...hormones affect your menstrual cycle. I am sure you are stressed too, I would be too.

I asked you what you liked and didn't like about your body and what your ideal body aesthetic is up thread, do you want to answer?
  • Sued0nim
    Do you have an eating disorder diagnosis?
  • Wingg_
    Sorry you said you were 161cm which is 5 '3 and a half and you weighed 51kg. Your ticker says you have 2kg which would put you at 49kg a BMI of 18.5

It is good that your periods returned when you put on weight and unsurprising. Being too thin affects hormones, having inadequate fat intake affects hormones ...hormones affect your menstrual cycle. I am sure you are stressed too, I would be too.

I asked you what you liked and didn't like about your body and what your ideal body aesthetic is up thread, do you want to answer?

At the beginning I weighed like 42kg was I thought was too thin so I gained to 45kg. I had my period. I maintained at 45kg for like a year until I had to prepare for my major exam and was super stressed that I didn't have my periods. After having amenorrhea for some time I started to gain weight. So I want to get back to where I was.
    And no, I do not have eating disorder.

To answe your question, I like my flat tummy. I gain weight everywhere but stomach.
    I didn't like the fact that I look much bigger that some of my clothes won't fit.
  • Sued0nim
    45kg is clinically underweight for your height

49kg is borderline

I think your lack of periods is evidentiary proof and you may need appropriate medical help to get your head in the right place

Good luck
  • Wingg_
    45kg is clinically underweight for your height

49kg is borderline

I think your lack of periods is evidentiary proof and you may need appropriate medical help to get your head in the right place

Good luck

You must be missed the fact that I was having my period when I was 42kg.
    However, thanks for your help.
    Ive went to the doctor's and will have follow up appointment soon.
    Thank you.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Losing your period is a symptom, not a disorder in itself. It did not "cause" weight gain. Even if you had your period at 42kg, that doesn't mean it was a healthy weight. Yes, extreme stress can cause you to skip a period, but not for an extended period of time unless you are talking about cancer-diagnosis level of stress. Definitely follow up with your doctor.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Having dealt with amenorrhea myself many years ago, I agree with those who say you need to keep up with your doctor appointments. It's not something to be taken lightly since it can cause long term health issues like osteoporosis. Having been there done that, I would advise you that dealing with the ammenorhea is much more important than worrying about a couple of kilograms of weight (which is a really piddly amount in the overall scheme of things). You can definitely be too thin for your body's liking, even if the (stupid) BMI chart says you're at a normal weight. If it's too much of a stressor on your body to maintain a certain weight then it's not a good weight for you. Listen to your body.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Build more muscle, and then you'll be in a weight range that your body likes (hormones and such) and also look small like you like :)

If the lack of periods keeps up and you have unusual weight gain, you might have your gyno do an ultrasound for PCOS. It's just hard to tell with you because you are on the borderline of period loss due to low weight, since you lost and gained your periods with weight changes. In any case, the polycystic ovaries are an objective finding and will be found or not found, so you'll know whether it's PCOS or not. That's a prime cause of lack of periods and common in women. I have it, btw. Edit: and I had it at very low weight and normal weight and then when I was a little overweight, lol. Don't let the fact that it usually occurs with overweight+ folks fool you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    I've hit my goal weight more than a year ago. I was having major examinations and stuff so it caused amenorrhea and over the past few months I've been gaining weight even though I have been tracking my food and stuff. So is the weight gain related to it? I went to the doctor and started to take hormones to induce period, will it help to lose the weight that I gained?

I am guessing the dr did a pregnancy test, right? Because amenorrhea for a few months followed by weight gain usually is pretty obvious...
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Wingg_ wrote: »

I am guessing the dr did a pregnancy test, right? Because amenorrhea for a few months followed by weight gain usually is pretty obvious...

haha - yep, that would be a reason too...