Couch to 5k group Starting June 12!!!

Options

Replies

• supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!!

Yay for everyone completing their first days! And I hope those who haven't have plans to soon! It'll be tough in the beginning but it's so worth it!!! Keep it up!

I woke up to a seriously stiff/painful ankle. I think I slept on it wrong and now am paying the price. So, I'm walking around the house in an ankle brace today, trying to loosen it up, we'll see if it shakes off and I can get my run in tonight. If not, tomorrow morning I'll have a date with a Jillian Michael's podcast and my running shoes!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    is it too late to join? I just did W3D1. The first half of the workout was ok but i really had to push on the second interval.
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    I started yesterday but I don't think I'm ready to join a group. I would lag so far behind. I wasn't able to do all 30 minutes last night. I only got through about 22 minutes. I'm going to keep doing week 1 over and over until I can do 3 week 1 workouts in a row without stopping.

I think once I get going it would fun to join a group though. Lord knows I could use all the motivation and encouragement that I can get.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Hi mandy! hi Keeand!! Yes everyone is welcome!!! Even if you aren't able to do the first workout, you should still join. Everyone's gripes are going to end up being the same, It's hard, we're sore, wondering if we can do the next workout, no matter what week we're on! The encouragement and support and feeling like you're part of a team will help keep you going! And always remember, at least you're out there doing something, trying to make a change, trying to better yourself, most people in America today couldn't say that, sad, but true. Keep up the hard work!!!

In other news, my ankle has worked itself out, I think I'll be heading out for my run tonight when the sun gets lower and I won't be fried on the pavement!!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Started week 2 today and am still loving it. I'm still dealing with tight shins, though it was better today.
  • mandykasase
    Options
    Hi
    I know i went for my run yesterday and did W3D1, but i felt pretty good this morning that i decided to go out again today. I didn't struggle as much on the second interval as yesterday and i think i went further than i did too. If the weather is good tomorrow i might do it again. Am I getting obsesses? I'm loving it though.
  • CaelaXO
    CaelaXO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey! is it too late to join? Just started yesterday, did W1D2 today! Downloaded the app for my phone and love it so far! Im signed up to run a 5k in September and I really want to finish without walking!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Caela- Yes you can still join, way to go! I just completed W1D2 today as well!

Mandy- That's awesome, just make sure if you do start feeling a twinge of pain any where in your joints or bones to take a day off. Especially in the beginning rest days are so important to let your ligaments, tendons, bones, and muscles recover. But yay for starting a running a addiction it does feel so good!

Jess- Good Job! Take care of those shins, ice baths(or really cold water soaks) after a run can help reduce inflammation and then a warm shower right after helps to return circulation to get your recovery going. I swear by ice baths and icing any sore/stiff parts for 15 min on 15 min off for up to an hour. I've been running and playing soccer and other misc. sports my whole life and have never had a sports injury knock me out of training.

oops I forgot my own update lol. Did W1D2 today, felt great! I'm glad that even though I didn't run through the first trimester only did fitness dvds and random yoga/pilates, my endurance (so far) doesn't seem to have been affected. I feel like I could run the whole time, but as I progress that might change but we'll see. Gotta stay positive!

How's everyone else out there doing?!?
  • jessradtke
    Options
    Did W2/D2 today and my shins are feeling even better than they did on Monday. I had shin splints from track while I was in high school and they've given me problems ever since. Arnica gel and lots of stretching and they'll loosen up in a week or two. Just gotta' push through it.
  • irishk8lin
    irishk8lin Posts: 15
    Options
    completed W1D2 yesterday. Feel awesome! I;m doing W1D3 tomorrow before work.
  • CaelaXO
    Options
    Did W1D3 yesterday. A friend suggested that I add incline to the treadmill, bc when i run the 5k ill be outside. Wow, could i feel the difference. My butt muscles are killing me! But i was able to do it and Im sure next week will be better!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Way to go everyone!!!! Keep it up! I will be doing W1D3 tomorrow, yay for finally being done with week 1!

Caela- Yes if you run on a treadmill you should definitely have at least a 2% incline to simulate pushing yourself across real terrain. Keep it up and you'll do great in that 5k!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    FOR ALL OF YOU CONSIDERING COMPLETING THIS CHALLENGE and actually signing up for a 5K, follow the link below for helpful hints to make your first race a little smoother. Good luck with your challenge!
    JR

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/266518-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Thanks for the link! Those are some great tips and we've got quite a few people on here signed up for 5k's already! I need to get my act in gear and sign up for one already!

Got my run in this morning, W1D3! Felt great! I love getting lost in my new neighborhood and listening to my Jillian Michaels podcasts. I won't be on much over the weekend, going to visit my parents 3 1/2 hours away so I'll be busy busy. If I don't get back on then yay! for everyone who did there workouts and keep it up! So proud of all of us C25K'ers keep it up!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Thanks for the link! Those are some great tips and we've got quite a few people on here signed up for 5k's already! I need to get my act in gear and sign up for one already!

Got my run in this morning, W1D3! Felt great! I love getting lost in my new neighborhood and listening to my Jillian Michaels podcasts. I won't be on much over the weekend, going to visit my parents 3 1/2 hours away so I'll be busy busy. If I don't get back on then yay! for everyone who did there workouts and keep it up! So proud of all of us C25K'ers keep it up!
  • jessradtke
    Options
    Thanks for the link JR! I haven't signed up for a 5k yet, but I'm considering it. I just haven't bothered to look and see what will be available when I've finished the program. lol I just finished week 2 today and am ready for week 3!
  • jessradtke
    Options
    Hey...I just realized that if I finish the program on time I will be ready to run my first 5k right before my 41st birthday!! Happy Birthday to me! lol
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Jess- That would be an awesome birthday present to yourself!!

Did Week 2 Day 1 today, not fun in humid houston mid-morning heat but I got it done and felt good. I need to get a maternity support belt though. My round ligaments and lower abs/back were feeling achy during the last two run segments.

How was everyone's weekend?
  • mandykasase
    Options
    Weekend was good, i did W3D4 on saturday. I did an extra day coz i didn't feel ready to move to week 4. I rested sunday and yesterday but it's pouring out today and i really wanted to get started with week 4. I'll see if the rain lets up later and i'll go out this eveing. The 5 min run has me a bit scared though, wish me luck. Hope everyone else had a good weekend.
  • CaelaXO
    Options
    I had a weekend full of drinking and eating way too much! But I was back on track on Sunday! Going to do W2D1 today at the gym! Bought new running shoes last nite bc my feet were killing me after i ran last week! Looking forward to breaking them in!