Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options
123457»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I throw stuff out all the time. If I can avoid having stuff foisted on me I leave it.
  • knolan147
    knolan147 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This year I shared the treats I was given. My coworkers treats were put out at my family party and my families treats were shared at work. I dodged the fat bullet, and I did my good deed. It really was nice to see the smiles of everyone when I have them a little something. :)
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I totally understand having to toss the treats or regift them. I mean...I obviously didn't get to where I am because I'm amazing with self control and discipline. So, out they go. Buh-bye Christmas fudge!

The people who criticized you here...I don't really understand why. It's incredible that you had the mental strength to get rid of the treats instead of sabotaging your weightloss/fitness efforts.

It's clearly not an issue of you disliking or disrespecting the act of kindness they bestowed upon you. You can appreciate the effort they made while also looking out for your best interests.

Sorry so many people criticized your decision here.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Ms_Chai wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

I don't. :-( Is it good?

I don't either, and I think I would have heard of it, living so close by in Illinois :D

@Ms_Chai , here's your chance to have a whole planet try it: What's your recipe, and could you include persimmon selection / buying instructions, please?

Oh, and in.... For edible unfortunate looking sauce.

I am happy to give this recipe out! I used a couple of online recipes the last time I made it, because I didn't have access to any family ones at the time. The persimmon pudding recipe is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/persimmon-pudding-15963. For the sauce, I used ONLY the sauce recipe from here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/persimmon-pudding. You only add the sauce when you get each slice in my family.

I ended up with a pudding that was similar to what I am used to and it was easy to make. As for buying persimmon, make sure it is Hachiya persimmon. I can find people who sell pulp around here, but I usually just buy the fruits from my local grocery stores. I have no idea where you would get pulp if it isn't a local fruit. If you have the opportunity to buy persimmons, try to get VERY soft fruits. If there aren't soft ones, then take them home and put them in a brown paper bag and leave them until they are VERY soft. I always get an extra one or two so I can test them out. You want the insides to get almost gel-like. They will be sweet and so delicious when they are very ripe. If you eat them before they are ripe enough, they are astringent and make your mouth feel fuzzy. It will ruin your pudding....but hey....no pressure or anything :wink: Good Luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am just astonished at how many people view baked goods shared in the office as sabotage, rather than a kind gesture at the holidays. It is your choice whether or not to consume the goodies, but for heaven's sake - if you can't fit in a couple of cookies or pieces of chocolate during this time of year without feeling like you've been sabotaged, I just don't understand that mentality.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

I don't. :-( Is it good?

I don't either, and I think I would have heard of it, living so close by in Illinois :D

@Ms_Chai , here's your chance to have a whole planet try it: What's your recipe, and could you include persimmon selection / buying instructions, please?

Oh, and in.... For edible unfortunate looking sauce.

I am happy to give this recipe out! I used a couple of online recipes the last time I made it, because I didn't have access to any family ones at the time. The persimmon pudding recipe is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/persimmon-pudding-15963. For the sauce, I used ONLY the sauce recipe from here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/persimmon-pudding. You only add the sauce when you get each slice in my family.

I ended up with a pudding that was similar to what I am used to and it was easy to make. As for buying persimmon, make sure it is Hachiya persimmon. I can find people who sell pulp around here, but I usually just buy the fruits from my local grocery stores. I have no idea where you would get pulp if it isn't a local fruit. If you have the opportunity to buy persimmons, try to get VERY soft fruits. If there aren't soft ones, then take them home and put them in a brown paper bag and leave them until they are VERY soft. I always get an extra one or two so I can test them out. You want the insides to get almost gel-like. They will be sweet and so delicious when they are very ripe. If you eat them before they are ripe enough, they are astringent and make your mouth feel fuzzy. It will ruin your pudding....but hey....no pressure or anything :wink: Good Luck!

Hey thanks! And now I have at least one food related goal for 2016 - track down the perfect hachiya persimmon fruit, even if it kills me >:) Saw some $45 price tags on Amazon, but I'm not quite sure it's that serious... yet B)
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @JaneiR36 Oh my. I could imagine it would cost that much on Amazon. They aren't that bad here in the grocery stores, though. You said you are in Illinois, right? Wait until next fall, and then try. They are still more expensive than your average fruit, but well worth it. I would even argue they are worth more in their pure, fruit form than in the pudding dessert form! Just let them ripen. Even if you end up hating them, at least you tried something new, right?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    @JaneiR36 Oh my. I could imagine it would cost that much on Amazon. They aren't that bad here in the grocery stores, though. You said you are in Illinois, right? Wait until next fall, and then try. They are still more expensive than your average fruit, but well worth it. I would even argue they are worth more in their pure, fruit form than in the pudding dessert form! Just let them ripen. Even if you end up hating them, at least you tried something new, right?

See now this is why I love connecting with you guys. You just get it :)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I saw persimmons in our Shoprite here in New Jersey. (Sometime between the first mention of pudding & now.) They were by the plantains, coconuts, mangoes, aloe leaves, etc. I clicked on the recipe @Ms_Chai since I'm always intrigued by new foods. But the more I read about persimmons, I'm intimidated!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    just say no thank you and refuse to take it.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I"m part of the "throw-away-the-best-looking-desserts" crew. Sometimes I take a few bites and toss it if it's too good. Other times I just toss it. I also toss away any nuts that make their way into the house. I've thrown away at least 2 large jars of those Costco mixed nuts that probably cost 20$ each and contain 9000 calories (since I know my self-control is very limited around nuts and I can demolish the entire jar in less than a week). Growing up in a household where throwing away food and not finishing your plate were equal sins, it took a while to be able to throw away food guilt free.