Ketogenic diet

Options
JoyTN
JoyTN Posts: 28 Member
I've been reading a lot about the ketogenic diet. Thoughts, comments?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I find that a food scale and a calorie deficit is all I need. But whatever works for you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It's one of many different ways that can help you achieve a caloric deficit.

If that style of eating and the foods included/excluded are something you think you can stick to long term, it might be a good choice for you. If they aren't, then it probably isn't.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    JoyTN wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot about the ketogenic diet. Thoughts, comments?

Works for many. Fairly restrictive so do your research on what you can eat. Doesn't align with MFP group think so be prepared for an onslaught of negativity.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it and find it quite filling and not at all restrictive. I'm not a huge fan of carbs anyway so getting my carbohydrates from veggies works quite well for me. PM me for more info.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for half if the year to successfully treat some health issues, but I do find it helpful to weight loss too. I tend to eat less and ave fewer cavings this way. I also seem to lose weight at a faster rate than expected.

Try the keto or Low Carber Daily groups for more knowledge and support. A very LCHF diet is not practiced by many on the main boards.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    With any way of eating, you will need to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. The same rule applies to a keto diet. You could eat a healthy well balanced diet that includes carbs, and as long as your at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Or you could cut carbs and still need a calorie deficit to lose weight. It makes no difference, as long as your eating at a deficit.
    Do you think the keto diet will give you some advantage for weight loss? Do you have a medical condition that warrants you to watch your carb intake? Do you think carbs cause people to gain weight or cause people not to lose weight ?
    The choice is yours, do whatever you feel is best. Just remember for long term success, this must be a lifestyle change. Otherwise its just a diet. So do your research first.
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and lost rapidly.... For me once I went off, I was out of control. I felt like I had to keep eating all the carbs I deprived myself of and would say "I'll start tomorrow" ... But never did. This time around I am doing calories in and calories out... I am down 43.5 pounds and feel like I can sustain this. If I want chocolate I am not going off my diet to eat it, I work it in. Finally I am finding success, it's not easy... I still have to make choices and can't always eat when I want to... But it works.

There is no right or wrong plan... Just pick the one that works for you and that will make you feel good while reaching your goals. Good luck!

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Are you in your 50's? Hows your cholesterol? Please ask your doctor first.
    I'm on a low cholesterol diet just because it seems to be excellent for weight loss. I have read that in older people a diet high in saturated fat can be bad for cholesterol levels.
    I eat lots of beans, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc. (excludes holidays)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Are you in your 50's? Hows your cholesterol? Please ask your doctor first.
    I'm on a low cholesterol diet just because it seems to be excellent for weight loss. I have read that in older people a diet high in saturated fat can be bad for cholesterol levels.
    I eat lots of beans, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc. (excludes holidays)

As a general rule, a ketogenic diet usually improves cholesterol.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love keto. It's yummy and fun for me. There are some keto groups on MFP that can provide some detailed info. Beyond that, all you can do is try it and see if it works for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to our sub forum. Check out the "Launchpad", it has just about every conceivable question and answer you may have.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group