Not so encouraging people

Options
I got engaged Xmas day. I have 50lbs to lose, because the wedding dress I want is a size 9. Every person i tell scoffs and says, "I don't do exercise or diet." Well...i kinda wasn't talking about YOU. I'm talking about me and how i want to end up looking and being.
Why get so snotty about someone trying to lose weight?

Replies

• boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't tell anyone about your weight-loss goals. JUST DO IT!! Start today & don't look back. You will show those haters that you can do exercise & eat right (I never use the term "diet"). Show them & don't look back!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is your profile picture current?

if yes, not sure why you want to lose 50 pounds...
  • mer1cose
    mer1cose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't tell anyone about your weight-loss goals. JUST DO IT!! Start today & don't look back. You will show those haters that you can do exercise & eat right (I never use the term "diet"). Show them & don't look back!

This! ^^^^^^^^^ You got this!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@Rawr1978 Best advice ever just given by @boricua3177 !! If you must say anything just say you're trying to 'eat healthier'. ;) Which you are... The word 'diet' has such negative connotations. It's simply a word pertaining to what our diet consists of but it's got a bad rap over the years so when ppl hear it they get all crazy. lol

Congratulations on your engagement! Focus on getting healthier for YOU, not the dress but for your body, mind and spirit and then it will last long after after the wedding dress fits. <3
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Now you have a great motivation for weight-loss and motivation is often what people don't have in order to initiate the process. It could also be a touchy and sensitive topic for them because of that. :)
  • maryannachka
    maryannachka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Do it! We are here for you! I want to lose 50 lbs by April too.. I'm starting by cutting out all processed foods and extra sugars. 2 friends have already done that who had 20+ lbs to lose and JUST by cutting out the bad foods in their diet altogether they have both lost so much weight! (One lost 31 lbs with light exercise in 2 months and one lose already 15 lbs in 3 weeks without much excercise) they say it's hardest the first 3 days to cut out the bad but it's not impossible. You can do anything you set your mind too. Go out there and show them you'll fit in that size 9!
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's that extra motivator, i've need to lose 50 for a while (no, the profile pic is 6 years old, taken during my lasr weight-loss)
    I've stopped posting anything about it on fb, along with getting rid of a few too-snarky people. I get that it's a sensitive topic, but these people were getting snarky over everything i was posting, so screw em.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike person too (just do it). My weight loss real life friend and I lost a bunch together then gained it back. The I went on to lose almost 20 pounds. Has she said one word? Nope. If I say I worked out she always tells me why she hasn't been able to jog for 20 years. If I mention weights, she says she doesn't have time. And on and on. I no longer bring up the topic as its "sensitive". Nike.
  • boricua3177
    Options
    Rawr1978 wrote: »
    It's that extra motivator, i've need to lose 50 for a while (no, the profile pic is 6 years old, taken during my lasr weight-loss)
    I've stopped posting anything about it on fb, along with getting rid of a few too-snarky people. I get that it's a sensitive topic, but these people were getting snarky over everything i was posting, so screw em.

I understand what you mean. Weight & weight loss are very sensitive topics, especially to people like me. My husband used to smirk (& laugh) at me when I would talk about losing weight, so I stopped talking about it. Now, I am down 41lbs....I don't get anymore snark from him!

Add me as a friend & get your fitness on! :-)
  • Rawr1978
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm a Nike person too (just do it). My weight loss real life friend and I lost a bunch together then gained it back. The I went on to lose almost 20 pounds. Has she said one word? Nope. If I say I worked out she always tells me why she hasn't been able to jog for 20 years. If I mention weights, she says she doesn't have time. And on and on. I no longer bring up the topic as its "sensitive". Nike.

I think what bugs is when the people you've been supportive to wont support you back...oh well.
    Sounds like your friend got jealous.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree "just do it! Those same people will be asking what diet or what pill/program did you use. Thats when you say MFP (calorie deficit), portion control, healthy food choices and exercise. I lost over 50 lbs. this way however I slacked off and put 20 lbs. back on so here I go again. This time I know what is needed to get it done. Don't wait, Do It!
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the engagement! You are your own best supporter!!
  • boricua3177
    Options
    Rawr1978 wrote: »
    I think what bugs is when the people you've been supportive to wont support you back...oh well.
    Sounds like your friend got jealous.

I hate that too! Especially when you have supported them through something in their life in the past. Unfortunately, you can't control or change other...only yourself. Now is the time for you to get smoking hot for that wedding, girl!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't post or talk about weight loss unless somebody asks you about it or you're on a site like MFP that has specific forums for it. It's really not that interesting to most people. Especially when it comes from perpetual/repeat dieters.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree that it feels bad when people (especially long term friends) aren't even supportive. Look at this as a good thing because you can weed those friends out and be thankful that you found out how they really act so you don't waste anymore time on them. I bet you are so happy about getting engaged. What a great thing. I wish you the best with your weight loss--and call it anything you want. True friends will respect you.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement :-) As others have said re JDI :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't post or talk about weight loss unless somebody asks you about it or you're on a site like MFP that has specific forums for it. It's really not that interesting to most people. Especially when it comes from perpetual/repeat dieters.

This. It's hard for me sometimes because I live/breath health and fitness, but people really don't want to hear about it.
  • Rawr1978
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The funniest part is, it mostly comes from those who posted nonstop when they were doing it. Im over the wtf though.