Spot me Breh!

Options
So today I was at the gym and some guy offered to spot me for benches and deadlifts. With benching I felt like all I needed was some help just lowering the bar from the rack. But this guy does more than that. From what I could tell, he kept his hands on the bar the whole time!!! I honestly felt like I was being helped too much and he was like "I wasn't doing any work". So do these reps count?!? Because it would be nice to think I benched 125 today lol.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I always give explicit instructions on how I want to be spotted. Sometimes they listen, other times they do not. Gym perils.

Does it count? Depends if you were assisted at all or if you, despite hands on the bar, locked out or not by yourself.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep always let them know exactly what you want doing as there can be alot of variation from person to person. Some people want lift offs, some want help with forced reps and others like me only want help if im going to get stuck under the bar.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm explicitly clear with my spotters about how I expect to be spotted. For example a few weeks ago, I grabbed a spot and told them that I was doing triples, this was my 9th triple and my bar speed on the third rep was slowing down significantly. I got exactly what I needed - a perfect lift off and a reminder to reset and retighten my back before starting the last rep.

When I'm spotting, I'm pretty hands off until I see your bat speed decreasing where I'll verbally prompt you through until it's clear I need to help just a bit (or completely take the bar as case may be)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Tell the person goes many reps you think you'll be able to do and exactly how you wish for them to spot you. They still don't do exactly what you want but it will be much better.

WTF is a spot on a deadlift?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So did you get a second date with him?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how do you spot someone on a deadlift???????????
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    next time you use a spotter be clear about what you want. I tell my spotters not to touch the bar unless I verbally ask for help. It doesn't matter if it looks like I've stalled on the lift, I'm still trying to push through it.
    I always give explicit instructions on how I want to be spotted. Sometimes they listen, other times they do not. Gym perils.

Does it count? Depends if you were assisted at all or if you, despite hands on the bar, locked out or not by yourself.
    RIP Lemmy
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The spotter positions under the bar and pushes up the bar with their hands, but has to move quick before the bar hits to the floor.

(I kid.)
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    RIP Lemmy
    Musically he excelled and was a great guy -- very cordial to his fans.
  • DavPul
    Options

Prolly looks similar to those movie scenes where a man shows a woman how to golf or shoot pool

golfin.jpg
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Duh...

https://youtu.be/9qrWXp35K3I
  • DavPul
    edited December 2015
    Options

Duh...

Oh GAWD! I totally forgot about this from instagram earlier this year!!

https://youtu.be/pz2i49Ir9Hw

Best part was how proud she was when she posted that mess and then reading all of the comments.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Duh...

Oh GAWD! I totally forgot about this from instagram earlier this year!!

https://youtu.be/pz2i49Ir9Hw

Best part was how proud she was when she posted that mess and then reading all of the comments.

I couldn't decide which one to post... epic spot.
    Options
    No words....
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I.....wow. That's a new one by me.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I could have used a deadlift back spotter on this one. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and I've seen others do the same. Nothing beats doing it at a world championship though :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvbeShIY7s
    Options
    I'm sorry Julie, I smiled at that one. :)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

That's okay. I still watch it to entertain myself. I've seen enough lifts go sideways on a number of people not to get bent out of shape about it.
    Options

That's okay. I still watch it to entertain myself. I've seen enough lifts go sideways on a number of people not to get bent out of shape about it.

That's MY biggest fear on platform. First meet, second lift, farted so loud you could hear it over the all the people watching and announcer on the PA.

Whoops.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

That's MY biggest fear on platform. First meet, second lift, farted so loud you could hear it over the all the people watching and announcer on the PA.

Whoops.

Things happen on deads on the platform. Don't think I'm ever going to forget watching some of the puking and peeing that I've seen.
    Options

Whoops.

Things happen on deads on the platform. Don't think I'm ever going to forget watching some of the puking and peeing that I've seen.
    Puking I get, but peeing?