"Completing" days under 1200 calories.

Options

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks MFP was not designed for ... and according to some, not compatible with ... fasting diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046388/make-mfp-5-2-fast-diet-compatible

Erm... Everyone in that thread is agreeing with the original poster soooo...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This site is designed to produce a daily caloric goal based upon Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. It is not designed around weekly intakes. It is not designed for whatever IF program you choose. You may have noticed that at no point during setup were there any entries regarding fasting.

Get as defensive and laughably flag happy as you want about those simple facts.

its not really? where is that in the rules?????

thats like saying you can't just drive a truck because it is meant for hauling things from point A to point B …

#dumb
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    This site is designed to produce a daily caloric goal based upon Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. It is not designed around weekly intakes. It is not designed for whatever IF program you choose. You may have noticed that at no point during setup were there any entries regarding fasting.

@brianpperkins you operate in black and white don't you? There is no gray with you?

You are wrong though, the site does allow you to track weekly calories. You enter your calories based on a 24 hour period but you can see where you are sitting on your weekly totals. At least you can on the apps. I can see my caloric intake for the current 7 day period and as each day goes on the number gradually gets smaller till the last day of the week and then it resets.

The site also works just fine with the TDEE method as well. Just enter exercise as 1 calorie or don't track exercise and it functions just fine.

It is NOT limited to the NEAT method as you keep insisting. How it was designed and how it can be utilized is two different things.

So you enter things incorrectly to get what you want ... then say it that the site will "allow" ... not that it is designed for things. I didn't say the site was "limited" to NEAT, I said it was designed for it. In your attempt to play word games, you tried to change what was actually said to fit your narrative. That's quite sad.

you sound like the kind of guy that would only use an iPhone to make calls and nothing else because its primary function is a cell phone…

LOL lighten up ...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

its not really? where is that in the rules?????

thats like saying you can't just drive a truck because it is meant for hauling things from point A to point B …

#dumb

I said what the site was designed for, not what is in the rules. Comprehension is necessary to intelligently converse via the written word.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks MFP was not designed for ... and according to some, not compatible with ... fasting diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046388/make-mfp-5-2-fast-diet-compatible

The people in that thread are complaining that the site is not IF compliant ... the OP of this thread never said a thing about fasting, just not able to complete the day due to low calories. Again, comprehension and reading what is actually there, not what you read into it.

I'm noticing a trend.
  • adelek13
    adelek13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    its only a guide right? maybe i sound rude if so sorry im new to this app too but cant you just add in a food to help complete your entry to make it upto 1200 you know your not eating as much as that but itll help you close the day
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My doc has put me on 800-1000 cals a day, so hopefully i can use the app, rather than writing it all day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, you can use the app. The only thing you cant do is get the "If every day was like today, in 5 weeks you would weigh XX" (which is rarely accurate) and (I believe, unconfirmed) have the "NAME completed their diary!" post to your timeline. Apart from the wank, NOTHING is affected by you being under 1000. It's simply not a big deal!!
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    Kates8891 wrote: »
    Not sure but eating under 1200 does not sound healthy at all

It's common for those doing intermittent fasting like the 5:2 diet and such.

It is also common for those of us who are older and very short and also do IF.
    I am several years past 65 and under 5 feet and am getting tired of people making blanket statements in regard to eating 1200 calories. For most people it is not enough, but for some of us it is a fair amount of food.

I agree, not everyone needs the same amount of food.

I'm 4'11" I certainly don't need more than 1200 calories while losing weight. In fact my goals (set to lose a reasonable 1-2 lbs/week) is 1100 calories. I'm not sedentary but my exercise is walking which doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's certainly good for my health.

Generally speaking, it isn't wise to generalize.

• MegaMeganekko
    Options
    I'd really like to be able to log mine accurately without the site getting so angry about it. I have a pretty wonky metabolism because sometimes I honestly forget to eat--I don't feel hunger much, so I have to consciously remember, and if I get busy, I don't. I'm trying to improve this by being conscious to log my food, which reminds me to do so. But if I have a bad day, the site seems kind of punitive--but someone who eats 2984018408140148091 calories has no problem with the site? That seems a little unreasonable.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

The people in that thread are complaining that the site is not IF compliant ... the OP of this thread never said a thing about fasting, just not able to complete the day due to low calories. Again, comprehension and reading what is actually there, not what you read into it.

I'm noticing a trend.

Pompous isn't pretty. Don't insult my intelligence.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I am several years past 65 and under 5 feet and am getting tired of people making blanket statements in regard to eating 1200 calories. For most people it is not enough, but for some of us it is a fair amount of food.

I'm 4'11" I certainly don't need more than 1200 calories while losing weight. In fact my goals (set to lose a reasonable 1-2 lbs/week) is 1100 calories. I'm not sedentary but my exercise is walking which doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's certainly good for my health.

I see what you did there! :smile:
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I'm noticing a trend.

Pompous isn't pretty. Don't insult my intelligence.

Then quit trying to be pompous and use the intelligence you claim you have to read what is actually written rather than rage against things you read into posts.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I see what you did there! :smile:

zky268ayd7bp.gif

• OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here, MFP is trying to coddle anorexics and make sure they are not being tempted by seeing how tiny they will be in 5 weeks--

--But, we're all adults here let's not throw everyone else off just to coddle someone. Maybe of someone has multiple days in a row, they should get a warning to seek psychological help.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Did you realise this was a year old thread?
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    it does, but only if I'd *meant* to eat over 1200 cals, and then go back to delete something. Ex: I usually log what I plan to eat the day before. My intended goal is 1350-1500 cals, but I might get busy/not have an appetite, and eat >1200. In that case, it'll still show me my "projected weight" after the deletion. Not sure how the system chooses to do that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Did you realise this was a year old thread?

While sometimes I get annoyed when I realize I've just responded to a zombie thread, I do appreciate that someone used the search function, found this thread, and took the time to comment or further inquire. I think we would see a lot more old threads getting resurrected if people did use the search function, or if threads weren't nuked when the debate gets heated.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    JEE2015 wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of the above. To each his own and everyone has their own 'recipe' for weight loss. I personally can get quite a bit of food for under 1000 calories and feel full.

<3 Thank you for saying that out loud. I have days like that and feel terribly guilty at times because of comments on the boards. It's not on purpose it's just on occasion I don't make it up to where I need to be, other days I make it over that. @JEE2015 psssssssst.........guilt be gone! ;)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here, MFP is trying to coddle anorexics and make sure they are not being tempted by seeing how tiny they will be in 5 weeks--

--But, we're all adults here let's not throw everyone else off just to coddle someone. Maybe of someone has multiple days in a row, they should get a warning to seek psychological help.

The 5-week prediction is basically meaningless anyway, as it's if you eat exactly like that day every single day. It's not just to deter those with EDs, it's to make sure everyone is getting proper nutrition, which is pretty hard if you consistently eat under 1000-1200 calories.