Counting Calories as an Eating Disorder?

Options

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    people don't accept changes, that's the problem

they suddenly become psychologist and nutritionist

no one worries about you when you are obese and cannot run for 100m, but suddenly everyone is very worried when you have a healthy BMI and enjoy running/walking...

are you happy and have found your balance, have an healthy life style, so your food/fitness choices don't negatively impact your life/people around you? this is what really matters

• MrsHall83
    MrsHall83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm just giving my two cents here because you and I are about the same size (well, usually. I had a baby a few weeks ago so I have baby weight to lose). I'm 5'2" and was 120 with a goal of 115 before baby #2 was born. Your goals aren't unrealistic or unhealthy. About 10 years ago I lost 20 lbs and successfully maintained that loss, except for my two pregnancies of course. After baby #1, I lost all the weight and I have no doubt that I will do that same again with baby #2.
    You do have to be a little extra careful when you're small. When I first started out, I was really strict but I definitely didn't have an eating disorder. That didn't stop people from constantly asking me if I was "sick" or encouraging me to eat. If you're getting comments like that, they probably won't go away entirely but they will become less frequent once people adjust to the "new" you.
    Anyway, over time I learned to adjust so that I don't have to be quite so strict, but maintenance is hard and you can never just forget about it and go back entirely to not ever logging or eating whatever you want. You're never "done". That's what most people don't understand, and it's also why a lot of those who lose gain the weight back.

Give yourself a little break from calorie counting every now and then if it starts to get to you and allow yourself treats here and there. You're doing great. Best of luck :)
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like you're super committed and dedicated to your goals. Great job!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eating disorder - WTF!?

Okay - my 2 cents. I've been overweight since the 3rd grade. I'm 54 years old. I don't think I will EVER know maintenance "naturally." I can almost guarantee that I will need to log forever.

I have 2 choices.....be fat (and have "that" kind of eating disorder)....or be thin and log...but I guess that's an eating disorder too. Rant over

I'm guessing you will be able to relax a bit eventually. But tell your friend that figuring all these things out takes time. Besides you're only 5'2".....that makes the job harder still.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    eating disorder? definitely not. VERY good with planning and sticking with a routine. YES! i hope one day i can be half as good as you with planning and sticking with it. it seems that you are very disciplined, but allow for treats and off days. i think your friend is very jealous of you and couldn't think of a nicer way to say "congrats" on the loss and maintenance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Good point. I don't eat main meals that aren't homemade, so when my friends go out to eat with me, I go along for the experience.

It's a fine line between staying committed to your fitness program and sitting there on a high horse while your friends eat the banished restaurant food. (No offense.)

Eh, I've gone to bars and not drank or made value judgments about my friends who do drink.

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    How does one get from:
    an environment that promotes gaining weight and one that is not conducive to weight loss

to:
    Oh, so everyone is being force fed and forbidden to exercise in our society?

I am genuinely curious.

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I see it this way, an eating disorder is exactly that, disordered eating - either on the positive (overeating) or negative (undereating) side.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet to get a healthy, balanced body is NOT disordered eating and is not an eating disorder.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    How does one get from:
    an environment that promotes gaining weight and one that is not conducive to weight loss

to:
    Oh, so everyone is being force fed and forbidden to exercise in our society?

I am genuinely curious.

I guess it can depend on where you live. Here, there are myriad health food stores & restaurants, an abundance of gyms and rec centers, not to mention all the free exercise videos on youtube (which can be taken advantage of anywhere.)

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You do not have an eating disorder and anyone that suggests you do is not too smart :smile: I've kept all my weight off for 10 years or so and I've continued to count calories. It's easy, it's quick and it keeps me accountable. I give myself one day a week where I can eat what I want and I don't count calories to give myself a break. I've been highly successful at this whole maintenance game and monitoring what I eat is a huge part of that. I do know people who don't count but I'm a numbers gal, love those numbers :smiley: Keep doing what you're doing and ignore her!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    LOL no, that's not an ED. An ED causes constant obsession with food, weight, and calories. Counting and planning is not the same at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Counting calories CAN be indicative of an eating disorder, but it is the obsessive counting and freaking out over a 10 calorie overage that is disordered, not the actual monitoring of your intake.

this... this pretty much sums it up.

I've taken a food scale to a restaurant before- because science and data... and people thing that's extreme but sometimes you just gotta get more data. It doesn't mean I have a problem_ I know when it's to much and when I've crossed the line.

Going out with your friends and not being able to take a "break" or just know that 'today- today is not a day that I will be in my calorie goals for now" that's more problematic to me.

You can count calorie and still go out to eat- and still have high and low days.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you are aware of what you eat, pay attention, gather data, analyze and adjust in order to improve your health, you probably don;t have an eating disorder.

If you have a meltdown because you;re 5 calories over, saw red on your ticker, and cried yourself to sleep over it .. you have an eating disorder.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Good point. I don't eat main meals that aren't homemade, so when my friends go out to eat with me, I go along for the experience.

It's a fine line between staying committed to your fitness program and sitting there on a high horse while your friends eat the banished restaurant food. (No offense.)

Eh, I've gone to bars and not drank or made value judgments about my friends who do drink.

I think this is a great example!! I work in a bar and lots of people come for the fun with friends, the companionship, the conversation... and don't drink at all. Hell we call it a designated driver and give them free cokes as a reward. If you are not at the restaurant drooling over the food and complaining that you "can't" eat it who cares if you order.
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mabye, you (we) plan out your your meals in advance is the cure to your eating disorder. which is eating too much !
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I recently was having lunch with a group. They decided to go to Five Guys. I love that place! However, I did not have the calories available and Chipotle was next door. A couple of people remarked that I shouldn't be on a diet that doesn't allow for splurges. I did explain that I agreed but needed to be choosy about when the splurge happens. I don't think that's disordered.
    bisky wrote: »
    The term “obesogenic environment” refers to “an environment that promotes gaining weight and one that is not conducive to weight loss” within the home or workplace (Swinburn, et al., 1999). In other words, the obesogenic environment refers to an environment that helps, or contributes to, obesity.

Oh, so everyone is being force fed and forbidden to exercise in our society? Nope. Not buying it.
    Hmmmm, this term "obesogenic enviroment" stopped me in my tracks.

While United States is not force feeding or preventing exercise, our society, big business and politics does not promote that healthy of a life style. We moved to Northern Italy in May and difference in our societies is amazing. We frequently see 70 and 80's out for bike rides and walks everyday. Everyone in my small town goes to the farmer market once or twice a week for fresh vegetables, fruits, seafood, cheese and meats. The lattisere has fresh milk and yogurt...not chocked full of preservatives. There is not one fast food place in town except on American base. Pizza and pasta place make everything fresh. Gelato has much less sugar than ice-cream. There are miles of walking and hiking trails in our city. From 1-4pm is Riposa. Shops are closed as Italians workers go home for a cooked meal and nap. Then they walk back to work. You can set your clock by it.

In United States there is so much cheap, non- nutritious food all around plus so many convinces. This is from the NIH:

"More than two-thirds (68.8 percent) of adults are considered to be overweight or obese. More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity. Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese."

High fructose corn syrup, aspartame and trans fats should have all been outlawed if our society cared enough about health. There would not be so much resistance for healthier food plans at schools if our society has a high value on nutritious foods for our children. The goal of a lot of diets is to lose weight quickly to look better not to be healthier.

While we are each personally responsible for our food intake and exercise there is a lot of pressure in our society to eat foods that are not healthy and to observe athletes rather than be one.

I wonder if restaurants in other countries advertise "unlimited" or bottomless baskets of french fries like Applebees and Red Robin. Another ad I noticed this summer was for Pizza Hut - pizza with hotdogs in a blanket outside of the crust. The commercials have really made me think about the obesity rate in the US. If I went to these places and took advantage of having 5 baskets of fries, it's on me definitely. I think it's interesting that it's available. These restaurants are only doing what the market and law allows.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    I wonder if restaurants in other countries advertise "unlimited" or bottomless baskets of french fries like Applebees and Red Robin. Another ad I noticed this summer was for Pizza Hut - pizza with hotdogs in a blanket outside of the crust. The commercials have really made me think about the obesity rate in the US. If I went to these places and took advantage of having 5 baskets of fries, it's on me definitely. I think it's interesting that it's available. These restaurants are only doing what the market and law allows.

I tried the hot dog crust pizza. Wasn't worth the calories :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    I recently was having lunch with a group. They decided to go to Five Guys. I love that place! However, I did not have the calories available and Chipotle was next door. A couple of people remarked that I shouldn't be on a diet that doesn't allow for splurges. I did explain that I agreed but needed to be choosy about when the splurge happens. I don't think that's disordered.
    bisky wrote: »
    The term “obesogenic environment” refers to “an environment that promotes gaining weight and one that is not conducive to weight loss” within the home or workplace (Swinburn, et al., 1999). In other words, the obesogenic environment refers to an environment that helps, or contributes to, obesity.

Oh, so everyone is being force fed and forbidden to exercise in our society? Nope. Not buying it.
    Hmmmm, this term "obesogenic enviroment" stopped me in my tracks.

While United States is not force feeding or preventing exercise, our society, big business and politics does not promote that healthy of a life style. We moved to Northern Italy in May and difference in our societies is amazing. We frequently see 70 and 80's out for bike rides and walks everyday. Everyone in my small town goes to the farmer market once or twice a week for fresh vegetables, fruits, seafood, cheese and meats. The lattisere has fresh milk and yogurt...not chocked full of preservatives. There is not one fast food place in town except on American base. Pizza and pasta place make everything fresh. Gelato has much less sugar than ice-cream. There are miles of walking and hiking trails in our city. From 1-4pm is Riposa. Shops are closed as Italians workers go home for a cooked meal and nap. Then they walk back to work. You can set your clock by it.

In United States there is so much cheap, non- nutritious food all around plus so many convinces. This is from the NIH:

"More than two-thirds (68.8 percent) of adults are considered to be overweight or obese. More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity. Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese."

High fructose corn syrup, aspartame and trans fats should have all been outlawed if our society cared enough about health. There would not be so much resistance for healthier food plans at schools if our society has a high value on nutritious foods for our children. The goal of a lot of diets is to lose weight quickly to look better not to be healthier.

While we are each personally responsible for our food intake and exercise there is a lot of pressure in our society to eat foods that are not healthy and to observe athletes rather than be one.

No, I think that's definitely an American thing. I am often taken aback at the portion sizes,cheap prices and fries with EVERYTHING they have in America. We used to have the "all you can eat" pizza huts here, but they all closed down years ago.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Eating disorder - WTF!?

Okay - my 2 cents. I've been overweight since the 3rd grade. I'm 54 years old. I don't think I will EVER know maintenance "naturally." I can almost guarantee that I will need to log forever.

I have 2 choices.....be fat (and have "that" kind of eating disorder)....or be thin and log...but I guess that's an eating disorder too. Rant over

I'm guessing you will be able to relax a bit eventually. But tell your friend that figuring all these things out takes time. Besides you're only 5'2".....that makes the job harder still.

I'm in the Perpetual Loggers Club too! Why stop when it works so well?