Wow

Options
Told my hubby I'd go to buffalo wild wings with him to watch the ufc fights and just looked at all the food they have there and the calorie content. All I can say is wow. The sampler plattet has more calories in it then ,I'm allowed a day. That is what I used to get all the time before mfp. I did a few things there that were under ,300 cals, but not much. It's amazing how b.f mfp you really never paid attn to how many calories are in food. Quite the eye opener.

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. And then I'm nauseated thinking about how I used to order that stuff all the time. No wonder I was 90 lbs overweight.

Yes, it's really frustrating, too, when you basically can't find anything to order at some places (like a small local BBQ joint for example.)
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As hard as it is to find something on the menu at places with big calorie menu items, it is much preferred to the places with no nutritional info available! More frustrating
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my last son I always wondered how I gained 60 pounds. Then I remembered I had one of those sonic shakes every week and I looked up the calorie content... 1900 calories for one shake!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This was something that was really eye opening for me too! I still have my favorite restaurant foods, but I ask for a take out box from the start and put half into it. I also rearrange my calories for the rest of the day to fit it in. But, yes, shocking! I was at a restaurant the other day and decided to look up their brunch menu because it looked good. One breakfast item, 1700 calories. It would have to last me the whole day :disappointed:
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget the day this gal I worked with looked at the creamer I was putting in my coffee. She said "50 cals a day, 7 days a week, 350 cals a week, 5 pounds a year"

I've been drinking coffee black for 7 years now! ha! Every once and a while I do have a "treat" coffee, but I actually like it black.

• mauvebutterflies
    Options
    I used to love the boxed mac & cheese from my local store, and i'd eat the whole box. Mfp made me realize that the whole box had 1400 calories, and thats before adding milk :o Thats more than my daily calorie goal. I no longer buy them.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I used to love the boxed mac & cheese from my local store, and i'd eat the whole box. Mfp made me realize that the whole box had 1400 calories, and thats before adding milk :o Thats more than my daily calorie goal. I no longer buy them.

I don't know what box you're buying, but some of the Kraft boxed mac and cheese has two servings. So you could eat the whole box and still be under calories because one serving is 389 calories prepared.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I actually can't even find their nutrition information on their site. Odd. But there doesn't seem to be anything on their menu that I'd actually want to eat.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I actually can't even find their nutrition information on their site. Odd. But there doesn't seem to be anything on their menu that I'd actually want to eat.

Same here! However, my family loves that place, so I just eat beforehand and then order a drink when I'm there. Generally we're there to watch a game of some sort so it's more about the atmosphere for me.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yep. I don't bother with places like BWW, Friday's, Applebee's, etc. The menus are full of nutrition landmines and the food is not worth it.

If I'm going to blow my limit, it should be for something actually tasty. A local BBQ place (tho chicken + veg isn't all that bad), some legit chinese food, etc. Life's too short to eat things that aren't either a) good for you or b) delicious.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It really is amazing how many calories we can consume w/o realizing it! :o
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my last son I always wondered how I gained 60 pounds. Then I remembered I had one of those sonic shakes every week and I looked up the calorie content... 1900 calories for one shake!

:open_mouth: That's crazy!! That must have been one monstrous delicious shake @Asher_Ethan.

I'd imagine there'd be folks who have stuff like that everyday not realising how many cals they're drinking...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    People don't count calories, they count servings and figure if they only ate one serving they are good. Part of the reason why over consumption of calories is the main factor for obesity rates rising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I found the calories of the food in mfp
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    BWW you have to email to get the nutritional menu. Someone on MFP was kind enough to upload it, I imagine.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Been watching food docs on Netflix and they all pretty much all day a whole food diet is the best bet. So hard to get away from processed foods and all the sugars and salts. I mean I was eating rice cakes not realizing all the fructose in them. But I don't think my stomach can handle just fruits and veggies and beans, I'd be running to the bathroom all day
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yup, for me it was the XXL Papa Johns favourite. 4600 calories (with the option to go higher with different bases etc). Even with my active workouts these days, that would still be almost two days food. And of course there was the sides, bottle of coke, and the fact that I also had another meal that day.

On a side note, Be careful with the docs on Netflix. I haven't watched all the food ones on there, but the ones I have watched have been massive propaganda pieces full of misinformation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    Been watching food docs on Netflix and they all pretty much all day a whole food diet is the best bet. So hard to get away from processed foods and all the sugars and salts. I mean I was eating rice cakes not realizing all the fructose in them. But I don't think my stomach can handle just fruits and veggies and beans, I'd be running to the bathroom all day

There is a lot of conflicting and confusing information out there, including the 'documentaries' on Netflix. Scientific data can be twisted into any number of directions to support any number of perspectives. If you enjoy rice cakes, and you have no medically diagnosed condition which requires you to limit them, then you can eat them. Each person needs to find what works for them. I find that proteins and fats help me feel full longer, veggies are great for providing bulk so that I get the full stomach feeling, and I find that fitting in treats (ice cream, beer) regularly helps maintain my sanity so I don't feel as if I'm on a diet. The way of eating that is best for you will be dependent on medical condition and compliance. I strongly suggest not watching the Netflix docs, and toy around with your personal eating to see what works for you. Eliminating foods based on what the documentaries say, will frequently lead to failure. People "mess up" by eating something that is "bad" for them and so begins the cycle of shame.

I came across this today, and while it's not scientifically backed by studies, it is something that I whole-heartedly agree with:

http://www.healthybalancefitness.com.au/2015/12/things-you-should-quit/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    amietest wrote: »
    As hard as it is to find something on the menu at places with big calorie menu items, it is much preferred to the places with no nutritional info available! More frustrating

This should be coming soon!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The many examples in this thread are the reason why it doesn't work to "eat the same things you always did but in moderation. Fit it in your calorie goals. " Unless you're mooching off someone else (which is ok) you're not gonna make a 1900 cal shake or a 4500 cal sampler plate fit within your cals, even if you save up for a few days. I just can't afford to "spend" cals like that in place of more filling food. Goodie for those who think they can!