Wow

Options
2»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love BWW, but I only eat the naked wings with spicy garlic sauce. For @kc4nus and I, that's our "fast" or "lazy" food, because we can justify the calories in wings only. But yes, we now go to restaurants and either research ahead of time or sit with the menu and look up calorie and carb totals. Because holy cow!

@ninerbuff made a good point about "portions" and today was a good example. A woman at the next table was eating and said to her friend, "This is all I'll eat all day and I can't understand why I can't lose weight." Well... 3 supreme slices of pizza (470 ea), a pecan Cinnabon (1050), and a venti frap (looked like Java Chip) from Starbucks (500 minimum). It was at least 2500 cals, but it was only 5 portions.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo thanks. I still trying to figure this out
    This is my third week and still figuring what foods fill me up and what doesn't
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Yep. I don't bother with places like BWW, Friday's, Applebee's, etc. The menus are full of nutrition landmines and the food is not worth it.

If I'm going to blow my limit, it should be for something actually tasty. A local BBQ place (tho chicken + veg isn't all that bad), some legit chinese food, etc. Life's too short to eat things that aren't either a) good for you or b) delicious.

I feel the same way. I'm not going to waste calories on cheap fast food or takeout. If im going to blow them its going to be on restaurant quality food not fast and fried crap thats barely food.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    amietest wrote: »
    As hard as it is to find something on the menu at places with big calorie menu items, it is much preferred to the places with no nutritional info available! More frustrating

Which is why I don't demonize chain establishments. While I disagree with the high amounts, per serving; it's better than not knowing because at least I can divide the serving, into my caloric allotment; per portion & still have the accuracy of knowing; it's caloric value.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People don't count calories, they count servings and figure if they only ate one serving they are good. Part of the reason why over consumption of calories is the main factor for obesity rates rising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That also depends upon, what 1 considers a serving of food to be as well. For me 1/4 carton of ice cream, is what I once; considered to be a serving because that amount, is what then satisfied me.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The many examples in this thread are the reason why it doesn't work to "eat the same things you always did but in moderation. Fit it in your calorie goals. " Unless you're mooching off someone else (which is ok) you're not gonna make a 1900 cal shake or a 4500 cal sampler plate fit within your cals, even if you save up for a few days. I just can't afford to "spend" cals like that in place of more filling food. Goodie for those who think they can!

You can get these types of foods, then portion them yourself; to fit into your calorie goals. Just like if you don't buy a single serving box of cereal, that doesn't mean that you have to eat an entire multi serving box; as 1 serving.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    I love BWW, but I only eat the naked wings with spicy garlic sauce. For @kc4nus and I, that's our "fast" or "lazy" food, because we can justify the calories in wings only. But yes, we now go to restaurants and either research ahead of time or sit with the menu and look up calorie and carb totals. Because holy cow!

@ninerbuff made a good point about "portions" and today was a good example. A woman at the next table was eating and said to her friend, "This is all I'll eat all day and I can't understand why I can't lose weight." Well... 3 supreme slices of pizza (470 ea), a pecan Cinnabon (1050), and a venti frap (looked like Java Chip) from Starbucks (500 minimum). It was at least 2500 cals, but it was only 5 portions.

Unless I was in a hurry, I would've totally approached her & offered to help. I just can't mind my own business, if I believe that I can; help someone.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Yep. I don't bother with places like BWW, Friday's, Applebee's, etc. The menus are full of nutrition landmines and the food is not worth it.

If I'm going to blow my limit, it should be for something actually tasty. A local BBQ place (tho chicken + veg isn't all that bad), some legit chinese food, etc. Life's too short to eat things that aren't either a) good for you or b) delicious.

I feel the same way. I'm not going to waste calories on cheap fast food or takeout. If im going to blow them its going to be on restaurant quality food not fast and fried crap thats barely food.

I actually really enjoy the taste of chain restaurant food, even $1.00 menu items; I just dislike the high amounts of calories, etc.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo thanks. I still trying to figure this out
    This is my third week and still figuring what foods fill me up and what doesn't

@chuckyjean Keep working at it. It took me a long time to figure it out. It also took a long time to realize that feeling hungry for an hour will not be the end of me. Although, I make sure I have something within my limit available so I don't stuff myself with anything in sight. You can do it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The many examples in this thread are the reason why it doesn't work to "eat the same things you always did but in moderation. Fit it in your calorie goals. " Unless you're mooching off someone else (which is ok) you're not gonna make a 1900 cal shake or a 4500 cal sampler plate fit within your cals, even if you save up for a few days. I just can't afford to "spend" cals like that in place of more filling food. Goodie for those who think they can!

Yes and no. I do agree that there are a lot of things that are really hard to fit in now... Like the Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes. Love them. But at 1100 calories or more for the ones I like, I need to split it with someone, and even then, it has to be at the time of my cycle when I'm not starving and can afford a 550 calories treat without starving all day afterwards. So needless to say, I have some once a year.

But milkshakes? Pretty much the only one I've had in 3 years was after having my wisdom teeth removed and even then, I thought it wasn't worth it. And forget Starbucks drinks...

But things like pizza, burgers, donuts, cupcakes, or fries, you can relatively easily fit in your days. In your sampler example, you could order just one item from the sampler and share it with someone. I mean, most of us can't fit a 1000 calorie burger plus fries the same day, but we could have half the burger and fries, or the burger and broccoli or something (with my goal I can afford to have a 1200 calorie lunch occasionally).

Plus there's always the option of finding recipes to make things you love for less calories. I can have a burger and fries at home for less than 700 calories, for example.

But I hear you, some days I can't even fit in 200 calories of ice cream because I'll be starving later.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this is greatest value of MFP: making you more aware of what you're eating. I've been able to lose 10 pounds this year without much effort; simply knowing not to have that bowl of ice cream at the end of the day because I'm at my calorie limit.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    " fitting in treats (ice cream, beer) regularly helps maintain my sanity so I don't feel as if I'm on a diet." nutmegoreo, I love it. Now I know why I still have a beer or two now and then. Makes sense.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    " fitting in treats (ice cream, beer) regularly helps maintain my sanity so I don't feel as if I'm on a diet." nutmegoreo, I love it. Now I know why I still have a beer or two now and then. Makes sense.

@djscavone
    I don't plan on giving up beer for the rest of my life. It makes sense to learn how to fit it into my goals now. :smile:
  • chupacabramamma
    chupacabramamma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes and no. I do agree that there are a lot of things that are really hard to fit in now... Like the Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes. Love them. But at 1100 calories or more for the ones I like, I need to split it with someone, and even then, it has to be at the time of my cycle when I'm not starving and can afford a 550 calories treat without starving all day afterwards. So needless to say, I have some once a year.

Hi!

If you have some self control, and would like something to "binge" on occasionally, you can bake a recipe like that in muffin cups - and the bottom crust really isn't important or necessary. You can find my late Aunt Ann's old cheesecake recipe here - it's guaranteed to be classic NY Cheesecake. https://plus.google.com/110247016739428907151/posts/J2G3cDpEzC6 Run the cottage cheese/cream cheese/sour cream/eggs through a blender first, if you don't have a mixer powerful enough to make it smooth, otherwise the texture will be a bit more crumbly and less creamy (unless you like it that way.) Once you have the cheese and egg mixture fully smooth, minimize your blending - don't beat more air in it, so you don't get the crack in the middle after baking. My friends in the comments were able to substitute ricotta for the cottage cheese, and stevia for the sugar, if that helps.

(Think I'll add that recipe to the public database, so it's easily accessible with nutr. info.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well turns out we are not going to BWW after all. Fine with me, miss out on high calorie food (although I do love the food there) and boring UFC fights.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Hi!

If you have some self control, and would like something to "binge" on occasionally, you can bake a recipe like that in muffin cups - and the bottom crust really isn't important or necessary. You can find my late Aunt Ann's old cheesecake recipe here - it's guaranteed to be classic NY Cheesecake. https://plus.google.com/110247016739428907151/posts/J2G3cDpEzC6 Run the cottage cheese/cream cheese/sour cream/eggs through a blender first, if you don't have a mixer powerful enough to make it smooth, otherwise the texture will be a bit more crumbly and less creamy (unless you like it that way.) Once you have the cheese and egg mixture fully smooth, minimize your blending - don't beat more air in it, so you don't get the crack in the middle after baking. My friends in the comments were able to substitute ricotta for the cottage cheese, and stevia for the sugar, if that helps.

(Think I'll add that recipe to the public database, so it's easily accessible with nutr. info.

Ah yum I'll have to try it out one day lol. And cheesecake freezes well too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    Been watching food docs on Netflix and they all pretty much all day a whole food diet is the best bet. So hard to get away from processed foods and all the sugars and salts. I mean I was eating rice cakes not realizing all the fructose in them. But I don't think my stomach can handle just fruits and veggies and beans, I'd be running to the bathroom all day

I tend to mostly eat a whole foods diet, cook from scratch, all that, more for taste and personal preference reasons than anything else. I can say that I managed to gain lots of weight doing this, as well as lose lots of weight.

Personally, I think the main reasons it can be helpful are: (1) it increases the difficulty of eating in that you have to prepare something vs. just buying it or going to a drive-through window; and (2) it becomes harder to delude yourself about what you are eating/how many calories. You still can -- I have certainly abused the olive oil or made high cal homemade dishes -- but if you are watching calories it makes it hard not to be conscious of what you are eating and also makes it easier to control.

Anyway, if you like rice cakes, I am sure they could fit into your weight loss plan, and chances are many of them have less sugar if that's a concern (I'm not sure what the calorie range for rice cakes is, as they aren't my thing). Probably a bigger concern is that people think of them as diet food so it's easy to just assume the calories are insignificant without checking, and that's one thing that MFP teaches you.