Why do people eat their exercise calories?

Options
Sedonafan
Sedonafan Posts: 26 Member
I really don't understand why. There really is no "science" behind it. The only true science in weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. I feel like eating your exercise calories is an excuse to eat more. You already ate 1300 calories... why would you eat 500 more? Excuses to eat more is how we all got ourselves into this place! I bet that if people didn't eat their exercise calories, they would lose weight a lot quicker! I am sorry to sound rude, but why cheat? You are only cheating yourself!

EDIT: Ok, people are taking it too personally. It was a simple question. Sorry I asked.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would go to the gym and burn off everything I ate for the day, I have to eat exercise calories back not to starve my body, its about keeping your body fueled and healthy.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Read this, it might give you a different perspective

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I sorta wondered the same thing. I try to stick to my calorie goal, but it helps to keep me exercising too
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    I often wonder this too but some seem to be still losing weight go figure I'm one that does not eat them back
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. Especially when people use every movement they make throughout the day to count as 'exercise'.
    Making a sandwich 100 calories! Watching tv, 50 calories! Walking from the car to the store! 500 calories!
    Life isn't a video game.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Because many people have their activity level set to sedentary. MFP ALREADY builds in a deficit for you to lose 1-2 lbs a week with NO exercise. If you exercise you are to eat those calories because not eating them creates a bigger deficit. A caloric deficit that is too large can be unhealthy.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    because that is what people want to do, and if it is working for them, why question it? Sometimes I eat my calories, sometimes I am too full to. Either way, I am losing weight in a healthy manner.
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its not cheating at all...The plan already has you at a calorie deficit...In other words, eating low calories...And, exercising actually speeds up your metabolism, so you burn calories at a higher rate after your workout is done...I love the exercise calories...Its gives me a reason to workout more...Just my opinion...
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think it differs depending on the person. If I only ate my 1290 and still worked out...I would passsss out! For me, my body needs the calories to keep going- and my weight loss has been just fine. To be honest, if I didn't eat them I would lose TOO quickly and start a vicious cycle of gain/lose/faint!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i ate them back for a bit , on others advice gain 4 pounds. stopped eating them lost 5.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories but I see why people do. We're all different, we all need different levels of fuel to lose weight the healthy way. They may not lose weight faster if they don't eat their calories. 1200 was MFP recommendation for me, and I didn't start losing weight consistently until I upped my calories to 1500. I was averaging a pound a week, and I now average 1.7 pounds a week. MFP has a built in deficit, and you're right, the deficit is what makes you lose weight, but if you create too much of a deficit, your body's going to hold on to everything. The only way you're cheating yourself, in my opinion, is if you're not losing weight the healthy way.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Sorry, but you are wrong.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've just spent 3 weeks eating 1200 calories religiously, exercising 4 times a week and not eating them back and stayed at a plateau at 7lbs off for the whole time, I figured out as I was only netting around 900 cals a day 4 days a week de to exercise my metabolism was slowing down. I am now eating 1350 cals a day, exercising and eating back all my calories. I am still netting 1350-1400 calories but I am able to eat more and satisfy my body more and I have started to lose weight again already in 3 days!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    2psreiq.jpg
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    There's a point where your body knows you're out putting TOO much compared to intake. I'm almost a year into my journey (and 15lbs left to go!) and if I don't NET 1300 calories a day I don't lose weight, period. It's my body's line on weight loss compared to "ZOMG WE'RE STARVING". So when I exercise and put out calories I NEED to eat back at least some of them in the form of protein shakes/recovery drinks.

I've been very lucky that I haven't ever had a plateau since I started last Aug and I really think that it's knowing my body and reading about NET calories and workouts that helped me to not have that problem that so many people have.
  • Sedonafan
    Sedonafan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, it works for you. However, if its a crutch where you get an excuse to eat, that is not good.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well its because you are fueling your body and not letting it go into starvation mode. I eat about half of my excercise calories and I'm losing weight just fine. Everyone has their own ways of losing the weight whether they eat those extra calories or not. Just worry about what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • crazycat828
    Options
    I agree with innerfashionista... boost your regular calories and don't eat the exercise calories.. will speed up metabolism.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would research into how MFP calculates your calories for the day and WHY it adds on the exercise calories burned onto your calories to be consumed for the day. There's a reason for it... MFP already puts you at a deficit for calories which is why it is so important to eat them back..

I'd much rather eat them back, maintain a high metabolism and lose at a more steady pace than drop 5 pounds in a week and have a crappy metabolism.
This discussion has been closed.