Weight loss has stopped

Options
So i was on a 1600 calorie keto diet for 6 weeks or so and i dropped about 7 pounds. As i was tired of being in keto, i decided to switch things up and change to a moderate carbs diet. I also boosted up my calories to 1850 calories per week. Its been about 3 weeks that i have been on exactly 154 pounds and weight hasnt changed. I want to lose more weight but im afraid that my metabolism would get worse than it already is... Please help me out!

Im a 5.9 feet male and 154 pounds. Also do cardio 3-4 times a week with 4 days of weight lifting

Thanks

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you we're losing at 1600 cals and are stalled at 1850, 1850 could be your maintenance.
    What is the calorie goal MFP gave you, how much are you trying to lose a week, and how much are you looking at losing in total?

Do you weigh your food with a digital scale, liquids with cups and spoons for liquids? If not you should. It really helps in your consumption accuracy.

Part of your stall is probably due to your increase in carbs, it is water weight and could be stopping you seeing a fat loss.

MFP is set up to give you a loss without exercise. It is highly recommended that you eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. If one is exercising one needs the extra fuel to perform well and still perform normal everyday activities without being grumpy and tired.

With your weight and height you should probably aim for .5-1 lb a week loss.

If your diary isn't open, you may want to open it. It will help people give you advice.

Cheers, h.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    3 weeks really isn't enough to declare weight loss has stopped. Especially when you just did something like going from low carb to moderate carb, which will cause water weight gain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    3 weeks really isn't enough to declare weight loss has stopped. Especially when you just did something like going from low carb to moderate carb, which will cause water weight gain.

Yup

Keep going

Also ensure accurate logging of food ...do you weigh your food? Do you eat back exercise?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bg4vn86w1c8i.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You went from keto to introducing some carbs - that will affect your weight by several pounds as the glycogen stores replenish with the carbs - its not real gain though and for a guy you're not eating that much - You should be able to lose eating around 1800-2000 if not more!

Its too soon to say though in general if you weight has really stalled, give it another few weeks and you'll find things will settle and the scale will move downwards.

Don't be eating any less for goodness sake, you want your body getting used to more calories and burning more.

I'm 5ft 2/woman and lose eating 1900 calories (if I wanted to lose that is- maintenance is 2100-2300), so keep up the good work, you will get the results you're after :smile:
  • kianrashidi123
    kianrashidi123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You went from keto to introducing some carbs - that will affect your weight by several pounds as the glycogen stores replenish with the carbs - its not real gain though and for a guy you're not eating that much - You should be able to lose eating around 1800-2000 if not more!

Its too soon to say though in general if you weight has really stalled, give it another few weeks and you'll find things will settle and the scale will move downwards.

Don't be eating any less for goodness sake, you want your body getting used to more calories and burning more.

I'm 5ft 2/woman and lose eating 1900 calories (if I wanted to lose that is- maintenance is 2100-2300), so keep up the good work, you will get the results you're after :smile:

I guess i will have to wait few more weeks to see what happens! Thanks a lot :)

• kianrashidi123
    kianrashidi123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you we're losing at 1600 cals and are stalled at 1850, 1850 could be your maintenance.
    What is the calorie goal MFP gave you, how much are you trying to lose a week, and how much are you looking at losing in total?

Do you weigh your food with a digital scale, liquids with cups and spoons for liquids? If not you should. It really helps in your consumption accuracy.

Part of your stall is probably due to your increase in carbs, it is water weight and could be stopping you seeing a fat loss.

MFP is set up to give you a loss without exercise. It is highly recommended that you eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. If one is exercising one needs the extra fuel to perform well and still perform normal everyday activities without being grumpy and tired.

With your weight and height you should probably aim for .5-1 lb a week loss.

If your diary isn't open, you may want to open it. It will help people give you advice.

Cheers, h.

I just opened it. Feel free to have a look :)
    Thanks anyways
  • ultrahoon
    Options
    I just opened it. Feel free to have a look :)
    Thanks anyways

Not showing as open on this end.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    So i was on a 1600 calorie keto diet for 6 weeks or so and i dropped about 7 pounds. As i was tired of being in keto, i decided to switch things up and change to a moderate carbs diet. I also boosted up my calories to 1850 calories per week. Its been about 3 weeks that i have been on exactly 154 pounds and weight hasnt changed. I want to lose more weight but im afraid that my metabolism would get worse than it already is... Please help me out!

Im a 5.9 feet male and 154 pounds. Also do cardio 3-4 times a week with 4 days of weight lifting

Thanks

What are your goals exactly? I'm guessing you're trying to cut right now but you lift for muscle retention as you lose weight? If so, then you need to wait more than three weeks. As others have said, switching back to a normal diet from keto will cause you to retain water for a while, but things will even out. Also, if you open your diary, we can get a better look at the accuracy of your intake. I can't imagine you not losing on 1850 calories being a 19 year old male at 5'9" and 154 pounds. I'm a 30 year old woman, 5'3", 116 pounds and I still lose weight on 2000 calories. Something doesn't add up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Dude your BMR is at least 1750. Add in activity (unless you just lie around a couch all day) and your exercise based on your age, you're more than likely closer to 2500-2700 TDEE minimum. So you're basically eating 1000 calories deficit a day. Why?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dude your BMR is at least 1750. Add in activity (unless you just lie around a couch all day) and your exercise based on your age, you're more than likely closer to 2500-2700 TDEE minimum. So you're basically eating 1000 calories deficit a day. Why?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if he is eating at a 1000 calorie deficit then why did his weight loss stop? I weigh 80lbs more than this guy and I eat 1700 calories to barely lose a pound a week. Maybe people don't always fit into these calculated numbers people toss around constantly.
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if he is eating at a 1000 calorie deficit then why did his weight loss stop? I weigh 80lbs more than this guy and I eat 1700 calories to barely lose a pound a week. Maybe people don't always fit into these calculated numbers people toss around constantly.

In almost all cases of this on MFP, it comes down to under reporting calorie intake or over reporting calorie burns. I've personally never seen a person claim they couldn't lose weight, but had an accurate food diary, and then have that claim turn out to be true.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

In almost all cases of this on MFP, it comes down to under reporting calorie intake or over reporting calorie burns. I've personally never seen a person claim they couldn't lose weight, but had an accurate food diary, and then have that claim turn out to be true.

I was gong to say the same. The comment made assumes that you are logging everything with spot-on accuracy, which in many cases is not correct at all. I could use my own experience to negate almost any comment made by someone, but that doesn't make me accurate or them wrong. It just means that something in my personal process is off/wrong/different. It took me a long time, personally, before I got my logging to be tight and it made an incredible difference in the end result of my goals.

Also, @ninerbuff gives good, well thought out advice, has his certifications openly displayed in his signature, and is a moderator. He knows what he's talking about.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ask yourself the following questions:
    1. Do you exercise at all? The OP does cardio 3 to 4 days per week and weightlifting 4 days per week.
    2. If you do exercise, do you otherwise lead a sedentary life? Desk job, drive a car all day, etc.
    3. Is your food diary truly accurate? Do you weigh all of your food with a food scale, verify that you're using the right entries, etc.?

The amount of weight loss you see per week depends heavily on the answers to these questions. Also, are you 5'9" like OP? Your height affects your BMR. Keep in mind that you not only weigh 80 pounds more than OP but you're almost double his age which also plays a factor in your BMR vs his.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1. Do you exercise at all? The OP does cardio 3 to 4 days per week and weightlifting 4 days per week.
    2. If you do exercise, do you otherwise lead a sedentary life? Desk job, drive a car all day, etc.
    3. Is your food diary truly accurate? Do you weigh all of your food with a food scale, verify that you're using the right entries, etc.?

The amount of weight loss you see per week depends heavily on the answers to these questions. Also, are you 5'9" like OP? Your height affects your BMR. Keep in mind that you not only weigh 80 pounds more than OP but you're almost double his age which also plays a factor in your BMR vs his.

5'11"

1. I lift weights 3-4 days a week. No cardio beyond bike rides for recreation when weather permits.
    2. Desk job
    3. I weigh and measure. I'm eating single item foods (that is, generally nothing like lasagne that has several ingredients) and meals that consist of 3-4 items tops. To get any more accurate, that is eliminate all room for error with simplicity, I'd have to switch to a prepared liquid only diet like Soylent. I've considered it.

Every single calculator I can find says even being sedentary my TDEE should be 2400. So 1900 a day should get me a pound a week. But it doesn't. Bottom line.
  • ultrahoon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1. I lift weights 3-4 days a week. No cardio beyond bike rides for recreation when weather permits.
    2. Desk job
    3. I weigh and measure. I'm eating single item foods (that is, generally nothing like lasagne that has several ingredients) and meals that consist of 3-4 items tops. To get any more accurate, that is eliminate all room for error with simplicity, I'd have to switch to a prepared liquid only diet like Soylent. I've considered it.

Every single calculator I can find says even being sedentary my TDEE should be 2400. So 1900 a day should get me a pound a week. But it doesn't. Bottom line.

Then open up your diary and back up your claim.
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Have u been checked by a doctor for thyroid issues? If u really cant lose weight and are logging accurately might be time for a doctors appointment.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

2. Desk job

Done. Didn't log Christmas or much Christmas Eve. Didn't go bonkers with sweets or anything. I've been doing this a while. I know how to make decent choices. Yes I did eat only 900ish calories the day after the holidays as a sort of balance. The last day I didn't log well before that was Thanksgiving. Same deal. Not shoveling food in my mouth. Just a mental health break from the OCD logging and plain jane foods I usually eat. A lot of my diet is repetition to the extreme.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Weight wise, I re-started my program in earnest November 2nd at 240. this morning I was 231 (232.something trend). That's about 8 weeks and about a pound a week.
  • ultrahoon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

2. Desk job

Done. Didn't log Christmas or much Christmas Eve. Didn't go bonkers with sweets or anything. I've been doing this a while. I know how to make decent choices. Yes I did eat only 900ish calories the day after the holidays as a sort of balance. The last day I didn't log well before that was Thanksgiving. Same deal. Not shoveling food in my mouth. Just a mental health break from the OCD logging and plain jane foods I usually eat. A lot of my diet is repetition to the extreme.

And immediately we see '1 cup, 1 cup, 0.5 cup, 6 franks'.

These are not accurate measurements at all.