• CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dude your BMR is at least 1750. Add in activity (unless you just lie around a couch all day) and your exercise based on your age, you're more than likely closer to 2500-2700 TDEE minimum. So you're basically eating 1000 calories deficit a day. Why?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So if he is eating at a 1000 calorie deficit then why did his weight loss stop? I weigh 80lbs more than this guy and I eat 1700 calories to barely lose a pound a week. Maybe people don't always fit into these calculated numbers people toss around constantly.

Ask yourself the following questions:
    1. Do you exercise at all? The OP does cardio 3 to 4 days per week and weightlifting 4 days per week.
    2. If you do exercise, do you otherwise lead a sedentary life? Desk job, drive a car all day, etc.
    3. Is your food diary truly accurate? Do you weigh all of your food with a food scale, verify that you're using the right entries, etc.?

The amount of weight loss you see per week depends heavily on the answers to these questions. Also, are you 5'9" like OP? Your height affects your BMR. Keep in mind that you not only weigh 80 pounds more than OP but you're almost double his age which also plays a factor in your BMR vs his.

1. I lift weights 3-4 days a week. No cardio beyond bike rides for recreation when weather permits.
    2. Desk job
    3. I weigh and measure. I'm eating single item foods (that is, generally nothing like lasagne that has several ingredients) and meals that consist of 3-4 items tops. To get any more accurate, that is eliminate all room for error with simplicity, I'd have to switch to a prepared liquid only diet like Soylent. I've considered it.

Every single calculator I can find says even being sedentary my TDEE should be 2400. So 1900 a day should get me a pound a week. But it doesn't. Bottom line.

Then open up your diary and back up your claim.

Done. Didn't log Christmas or much Christmas Eve. Didn't go bonkers with sweets or anything. I've been doing this a while. I know how to make decent choices. Yes I did eat only 900ish calories the day after the holidays as a sort of balance. The last day I didn't log well before that was Thanksgiving. Same deal. Not shoveling food in my mouth. Just a mental health break from the OCD logging and plain jane foods I usually eat. A lot of my diet is repetition to the extreme.

And immediately we see '1 cup, 1 cup, 0.5 cup, 6 franks'.

These are not accurate measurements at all.

1 cup of cottage cheese which weights 234 grams. Which I measure. And seriously, you want me to measure the hot dogs I'm going to have tonight? Let's say they each weigh 5 grams more than they say. Or half of them do. The others are probably 5 grams less. What is the actual calorie difference there? Not that I even eat hot dogs that often. You'll notice a lot of chicken and cod. Should I do the same for my Oikos yogurt? Is it a big deal that it might be 123.2656 calories instead of 120?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dude your BMR is at least 1750. Add in activity (unless you just lie around a couch all day) and your exercise based on your age, you're more than likely closer to 2500-2700 TDEE minimum. So you're basically eating 1000 calories deficit a day. Why?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if he is eating at a 1000 calorie deficit then why did his weight loss stop? I weigh 80lbs more than this guy and I eat 1700 calories to barely lose a pound a week. Maybe people don't always fit into these calculated numbers people toss around constantly.

1. Do you exercise at all? The OP does cardio 3 to 4 days per week and weightlifting 4 days per week.
    2. If you do exercise, do you otherwise lead a sedentary life? Desk job, drive a car all day, etc.
    3. Is your food diary truly accurate? Do you weigh all of your food with a food scale, verify that you're using the right entries, etc.?

The amount of weight loss you see per week depends heavily on the answers to these questions. Also, are you 5'9" like OP? Your height affects your BMR. Keep in mind that you not only weigh 80 pounds more than OP but you're almost double his age which also plays a factor in your BMR vs his.

1. I lift weights 3-4 days a week. No cardio beyond bike rides for recreation when weather permits.
    2. Desk job
    3. I weigh and measure. I'm eating single item foods (that is, generally nothing like lasagne that has several ingredients) and meals that consist of 3-4 items tops. To get any more accurate, that is eliminate all room for error with simplicity, I'd have to switch to a prepared liquid only diet like Soylent. I've considered it.

Every single calculator I can find says even being sedentary my TDEE should be 2400. So 1900 a day should get me a pound a week. But it doesn't. Bottom line.

Done. Didn't log Christmas or much Christmas Eve. Didn't go bonkers with sweets or anything. I've been doing this a while. I know how to make decent choices. Yes I did eat only 900ish calories the day after the holidays as a sort of balance. The last day I didn't log well before that was Thanksgiving. Same deal. Not shoveling food in my mouth. Just a mental health break from the OCD logging and plain jane foods I usually eat. A lot of my diet is repetition to the extreme.

1 cup of cottage cheese which weights 234 grams. Which I measure. An seriously, you want me to measure the hot dogs I'm going to have tonight? Let's say they each weigh 5 grams more than they say. Or half of them do. The others are probably 5 grams less. What is the actual calorie difference there? Seriously. Should I do the same for my Oikos yogurt? Is it a big deal that it might be 123.2656 calories instead of 120?

All the tiny differences add up. If you want to make claims against things based on accuracy, you can't go around saying 'I cant be bothered to be that accurate'
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

2. Desk job

1 cup of cottage cheese which weights 234 grams. Which I measure. An seriously, you want me to measure the hot dogs I'm going to have tonight? Let's say they each weigh 5 grams more than they say. Or half of them do. The others are probably 5 grams less. What is the actual calorie difference there? Seriously. Should I do the same for my Oikos yogurt? Is it a big deal that it might be 123.2656 calories instead of 120?

All the tiny differences add up. If you want to make claims against things based on accuracy, you can't go around saying 'I cant be bothered to be that accurate'

So me not weighing my hot dogs tonight or my yogurt earlier (calm down, I'm going to weigh the chili) is going to account for the 200 calorie difference between what my TDEE is supposed to be and what it really is based off my eating? You're saying that because I don't weigh my yogurt, which I don't even eat daily, that's where the error is?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that even your one cup, 6 franks, etc entries are weighed on a food scale as you claim. I weigh everything and if the serving size says 2 eggs and I'm under the serving size in grams, I just keep it at 2 eggs or if I can't find something in grams in the database at times and I'm not in a place where I can make my own entry and I know a serving is 45 grams but mine is 47, I'll do 47/45 and round up the decimal and enter it like that. So let's assume you do the same. I know one other reason you may only be seeing a little less than a pound per week of weight loss; your sodium intake is INSANE. You probably retain a lot of water week to week and never let it go because you consistently have a sodium intake that is through the roof.
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No, I am saying that your diary has many of these types of entry. And that the accumulation of many small errors over time eventually results in a large error. How you log is up to you, everyone gets to decide what shortcuts they take. But as the weight comes off, and the margin for error gets smaller and smaller, it pays to be accurate. You made the claim that you were accurate and disputed another users post. I merely pointed out that you literally do not have the accuracy required to make such a claim.

Besides, TDEE's from calculators are estimates with an accuracy range, you'll note the poster you disputed gave a 250 calorie range as it is.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that even your one cup, 6 franks, etc entries are weighed on a food scale as you claim. I weigh everything and if the serving size says 2 eggs and I'm under the serving size in grams, I just keep it at 2 eggs or if I can't find something in grams in the database at times and I'm not in a place where I can make my own entry and I know a serving is 45 grams but mine is 47, I'll do 47/45 and round up the decimal and enter it like that. So let's assume you do the same. I know one other reason you may only be seeing a little less than a pound per week of weight loss; your sodium intake is INSANE. You probably retain a lot of water week to week and never let it go because you consistently have a sodium intake that is through the roof.

Wouldn't the losses be consistent though? Since the water is already there and I'm holding it. If you lose fat you lose fat. It's not like water rushes in to take it's place randomly.
  • Maxematics
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Wouldn't the losses be consistent though? Since the water is already there and I'm holding it. If you lose fat you lose fat. It's not like water rushes in to take it's place randomly.

Nope, especially since on some days of your diary your sodium level decreases. You said you've only gotten back into the swing of things in November. At first your sodium levels were only somewhat higher and now they're consistently in the 6000 to 7000mg range. Also, I posted that before seeing your exchange with @ultrahoon. Yes, those little inaccuracies can, and do, add up.
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Actually, that is one of the theories. The 'whoosh effect' theory. I'm not sure how heavily I believe in it, but it is a theory with a growing amount of research. The TLDR is that the fat cells have no idea if they will needed again soon (since your body is constantly storing and burning fat, regardless of deficit or surplus), so they take on water, then once they 'see' they aren't being used for some time, they shed.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Nope, especially since on some days of your diary your sodium level decreases. You said you've only gotten back into the swing of things in November. At first your sodium levels were only somewhat higher and now they're consistently in the 6000 to 7000mg range. Also, I posted that before seeing your exchange with @ultrahoon. Yes, those little inaccuracies can, and do, add up.

Those little things CAN add up if there are a lot of them. I'm asserting that there aren't enough of them in my day to account for the TDEE discrepancy. Even if all 6 hot dogs (OK this sounds bad but really, IIFYM right?) are 10 calories over and my yogurt was 10 calories over that's 70 calories. Where's the other 130? Oh yeah, and that would have to be DAILY. I don't eat yogurt daily even. My cottage cheese I weigh, and usually dinner is cod, salmon, or chicken. Weighed. Veggies. Yup, weighed.
  • ultrahoon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Those little things CAN add up if there are a lot of them. I'm asserting that there aren't enough of them in my day to account for the TDEE discrepancy. Even if all 6 hot dogs (OK this sounds bad but really, IIFYM right?) are 10 calories over and my yogurt was 10 calories over that's 70 calories. Where's the other 130? Oh yeah, and that would have to be DAILY. I don't eat yogurt daily even. My cottage cheese I weigh, and usually dinner is cod, salmon, or chicken. Weighed. Veggies. Yup, weighed.

Yes but my point is you don't know that because TDEE calculators, heart rate monitors, exercise machines etc are all estimates. You can't control the accuracy of a heart rate monitor or an exercise machine or whatever you use to determine calories out, but you can control (to a much larger extent) the accuracy in your calorie counting.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Also, I can see a few calories mattering if I was trying to go from, oh, 7% body fat to 6%. But for someone trying to go from 230 to 200 who's 27% body fat? You're telling me 50 extra calories a day more than 1700 is significant? Nope. Calling BS.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Yes but my point is you don't know that because TDEE calculators, heart rate monitors, exercise machines etc are all estimates. You can't control the accuracy of a heart rate monitor or an exercise machine or whatever you use to determine calories out, but you can control (to a much larger extent) the accuracy in your calorie counting.

Fair enough, so what is an acceptable error rate? There has to be one since by your own words it's nearly impossible to log 100% accurately. The different densities of fruits and vegetables alone is enough to produce some sort of error right?
  • ultrahoon
    Options
    Also, I can see a few calories mattering if I was trying to go from, oh, 7% body fat to 6%. But for someone trying to go from 230 to 200 who's 27% body fat? You're telling me 50 extra calories a day more than 1700 is significant? Nope. Calling BS.

I have made so much claim. The only claim I have made is that you do not possess the accuracy to make the statements you are making, not that I believe the polar opposite is true.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

5'11"

2. Desk job

Seems like you're missing the point. You're focusing on one thing. But, if you make those kinds of errors all the time, it adds up in a week, and more in a month. Sometimes, that is the difference between losing, or not losing, believe it or not.

It's ok to be sloppy. I'm very sloppy. But, I don't ask for help. If I did, before I asked, I'd clean up my act for a while first and see if I still had a problem or not.

You're really making me want to start weighing my yogurt out of the container to see how many extra pounds a week I couldn't lose. It's too late for today so maybe tomorrow. I'll do the hot dogs tonight for giggles.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Also, my favorite thing about this whole debate is the minute someone posts a question about eating out you're going to get a flood of "it's just one day! just estimate high and move on!" Me, I don't weigh my yogurt but instead trust the value on the container. "You're doing it wrong! That's why you're not losing!!!!"
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Also, my favorite thing about this whole debate is the minute someone posts a question about eating out you're going to get a flood of "it's just one day! just estimate high and move on!" Me, I don't weigh my yogurt but instead trust the value on the container. "You're doing it wrong! That's why you're not losing!!!!"

Except that I have never actually made that statement, the only claim I have made is that you do not possess the accuracy to make the statements based on accuracy that you are making. I have never asserted that that is why you are not losing at the expected rate, only that is is a controllable factor that might have impact, that is not currently being controlled to the highest of standards.
  • Maxematics
    Options

Yeah but that person posting about eating out isn't posting about not being able to lose more than a certain amount per week and thinking everyone else's theories on BMR are flawed.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Additionally (I work in the grocery industry in sales, packaging, etc) labels and the nutritional information printed can be inaccurate. Labeling guidelines allow for up to 20% over or under the stated volume/weight and nutritional info on the container.

This means, that using packaging labels alone could give you a 20% Margin of error. This is not your fault, mind you, it's the fault of a loosely organized and loosely upheld system of labeling.

In addition to that, companies are allowed to leave any proprietary blend of spices, flavorings, etc off of the label to prevent theft of their formula by competitors. Since this is not on the label, it does not have to be included in the nutritional facts. This is usually "accounted for" by the previously mentioned 20% margin of error, but not always.

This was kind of shocking to me, but we all had to learn about it when we started rolling out privately branded products.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Additionally (I work in the grocery industry in sales, packaging, etc) labels and the nutritional information printed can be inaccurate. Labeling guidelines allow for up to 20% over or under the stated volume/weight and nutritional info on the container.

This means, that using packaging labels alone could give you a 20% Margin of error. This is not your fault, mind you, it's the fault of a loosely organized and loosely upheld system of labeling.

In addition to that, companies are allowed to leave any proprietary blend of spices, flavorings, etc off of the label to prevent theft of their formula by competitors. Since this is not on the label, it does not have to be included in the nutritional facts. This is usually "accounted for" by the previously mentioned 20% margin of error, but not always.

This was kind of shocking to me, but we all had to learn about it when we started rolling out privately branded products.

I get it, I just think I simply don't eat enough pre-packaged foods to make a meaningful difference. Maybe the OP does. I dunno. I just think everyone has this "you're logging wrong" default response. "Tighten up your logging." How? Some days I literally eat 6 individual items. You're telling me if I trust the label on the one item that came from a box/container/etc I'm screwed? It's silly.