Heart rate call me crazy but please read

Options
so 2 years ago I started on mfp weighing in at 340lbs now I weight 236. When I first started on the tread mill my heart rate would avg 150 and I lost weight quickly. Now that I'm leaner I have a really hard time getting my heart rate above 125. Could that be the reason I'm not losing weight anymore. To get my heart rate above 125 I have to run 7.5 mph for 30 mins. I'm training for my first Ironman maybe its a good thing I have a low heart rate now. In resting mode its stays around 60. Any thought on this.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    But it's got to do the burning calories.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The reason you can't lose weight is most likely because you aren't in a calorie deficit anymore. You've lost a whole bunch of weight, so your body burns fewer calories still and moving, but none of that stops you from losing weight. You need less food now than you did then, stick with an appropriate, accurately measured calorie deficit, and let science do the rest.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So... I'm not a doctor.... but I went from 320 to (today) 165. In that time my resting heart rate dropped dramatically. Mine is in the low 50s and sometimes in the 40's now. This is a good thing - I had a cardiac stress test last year and was given a solid bill of health. They basically said I had the heart rate of an athlete (if only I had ANY of the other characteristics of one - haha).
    My first year of weight loss involved mainly cardio and I, too, found that eventually I had a more difficult time getting my heart rate up. I don't believe it had anything to do with weight loss though - that was really more a function of developing cardiovascular endurance through consistent physical activity. Weight loss still was (and is for me) determined by what I put in my belly. As I lost weight I just had to continue to adjust my caloric intake to continue to lose weight. That was the only way to continue to see weight loss progress.
    As my caloric level dropped though I did see some negative effects in gym performance. It's a bit of a balancing act in terms of fat loss and athletic performance.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    But it's got to do the burning calories.
    I think some elaboration is needed in their statement. It's great that you are able to bring your heart rate down to 125. It means it less taxing for you. However, most of your calorie deficit is created through your eating habits. so yes, you may get credit for less calories, but that should not stop you from losing weight unless you are eating more than you should to create a deficit. 60 heart rate isn't that low. How about your heart rate when you are actually outside running?

• walleyebob977
    Options
    Thanks for your response I'll struggling with the last 30 it's been tough.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    All the lower heart rate means is you are more fit. It has no relation to burning calories. Take running for instance. Other than the decrease in calories burned due to less weight, the amount burned by any person of the same weight and sex going the same pace with the same route will be the very much the same regardless of how high their heart rate gets as it will take the same amount of work energy and basically calories are a measure of energy. It is much more likely you need to tighten up your logging of what you eat or lower your calorie goal.
  • walleyebob977
    Options
    I'm sure my eating is getting out of hand.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The other thing is that I had to get MUCH more precise about my caloric intake as I lost weight. I simply didn't have the "wiggle room" at 220lbs that I did at 320lbs. If I think about my logging in the beginning, I was likely wildly inaccurate. I wasn't weighing or measuring anything and I was less diligent about choosing the right entries. But I was still in a deficit through eating less so it all worked out. As I got thinner I had to get much more serious about the accuracy of my intake to make sure I kept progressing. My workouts really had little effect on the scale because in reality I wasn't burning a ton of calories. It was all about what I ate. I worry about people who think they are burning 1500 calories in 30 minutes on the treadmill because some inaccurate device told them they did, and then they try to "eat back" those calories. It's a recipe for disaster. But I digress... sorry... !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    so 2 years ago I started on mfp weighing in at 340lbs now I weight 236. When I first started on the tread mill my heart rate would avg 150 and I lost weight quickly. Now that I'm leaner I have a really hard time getting my heart rate above 125. Could that be the reason I'm not losing weight anymore. To get my heart rate above 125 I have to run 7.5 mph for 30 mins. I'm training for my first Ironman maybe its a good thing I have a low heart rate now. In resting mode its stays around 60. Any thought on this.
    Your lower heart rate is great! It means you're getting healthier. That said, it also means you aren't burning as many calories from a work out. Have you modified your goals in MFP? Every so often you have to reduce your calorie intake to keep at a deficit. If you keep having this issue, consider changing to the TDEE-15% or TDEE-20% method and don't log your work outs here (or log them as one calorie), but first just try changing up your goals on here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response I'll struggling with the last 30 it's been tough.

When you're down to the last block of weight to lose, it's very very important to be honest and accurate with your logging. If you are: Using generic entries for things instead of specific brands, not using a food scale, not logging condiments, not counting any oil you use in cooking etc, then now is a good time to tighten all that up. Your margin for error is smaller now than it once was.
  • walleyebob977
    Options
    Thanks I just started today again with measuring cups I'm sure I'm getting sloppy
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks I just started today again with measuring cups I'm sure I'm getting sloppy

Do you have a food scale? Should be able to get one for 20 bucks max. Try to use the scale for everything that isn't a freely pouring liquid like milk. The food scale is very easy to use (some say more convenient than cups!) and will help you be very accurate