Gotta get to 13% bodyfat

Options

Replies

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Less than 20% bf, maybe 18% IMO. I'd recomp/cut to 12% bf and then bulk.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    After seeing your picture, I would not lose weight. I would look into a recomp .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're not 25%. Lift heavy and you're golden.
  • dragon44xd
    dragon44xd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did sl5x5 for 3 months and my strenght went up rapidly but now i have switched to PHAT should i switch back
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I hope that the experienced lifters chime in, but I don't think PHAT is a beginner's program. I think you would benefit more from continuing on a beginner's program. SL and Allpro's are good programs for beginners.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dragon44xd wrote: »
    I did sl5x5 for 3 months and my strenght went up rapidly but now i have switched to PHAT should i switch back

Do you like PHAT? If so, stick with it. SL 5X5 isn't a cure-all. There are tons of programs, PHAT included, that are just as good.
  • dragon44xd
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you like PHAT? If so, stick with it. SL 5X5 isn't a cure-all. There are tons of programs, PHAT included, that are just as good.

I do like it but im like super tried after it and its alot of volume but i still do it have been doing it for 4 weeks seen some cuts and growth but yea
  • codsterlaing95
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'd do Fierce 5. Best program for newbies who are cutting/recomping IMO. SL is a little much on a cut.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'd do Fierce 5. Best program for newbies IMO.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Fierce 5 is another good beginner's program. PHAT is probably kicking your a** because you may not have be ready for a program like it. I would definitely consider getting more lifting experience before progressing. Many of the beginner's programs were designed to run on a deficit, don't know if PHAT was.
  • dragon44xd
    Options
    Well my lifts are
    Squat 225
    Deadlift 245
    Bench 135
    My bench is the weakest but everything else improved by sl5x5 and phat i only been seeing cuts no real strenght and also i heard u can run phat for a cut or bulk
  • jemhh
    Options
    Well my lifts are
    Squat 225
    Deadlift 245
    Bench 135
    My bench is the weakest but everything else improved by sl5x5 and phat i only been seeing cuts no real strenght and also i heard u can run phat for a cut or bulk

Are you eating in a deficit right now? How much sleep are you getting? Those two things can affect you a lot. Fierce 5 is a good program, I agree. It has you doing more than SL but less than PHAT. The beginner program is 3 days vs PHAT's 5 days.
  • dragon44xd
    Options
    I get around 8 hours of sleep and to maintian my weight i need to eat 2723 but im at a deficit eating 1800 cal i dont mind phat since i have all the time in the world rn.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    L_Master wrote: »
    From 10% goal I'm assuming male. No way you are 25% BF at 5'10" 160. Either the bodyfat is wrong or height/weight is wrong.

Either way, if you're looking at 10% fat you're probably looking at needing to drop around 5-15lbs of fat. Very reasonable goal for to achieve by Mar 1, even if we are talking 15 lbs.

What you should do is eat less than you burn. Read about TDEE/calorie balance and use the website to track food and activity.
    No, it would be 33lbs.

Current weight 160. Times .25 is 40lbs of fat. 120lbs of lean mass at 10% is 127lbs. So that's more than double of what you're estimating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

@ninerbuff - That 33lbs assumes he is actually 25% BF. I assumed his BF is less than that, because it's next to impossible to be 5'10", 160, and also 25% BF. You'd basically have to have zero muscle (unlikely just be default of being 160, carrying extra weight generally requires at least a little extra muscle) and then on top of that have an extreme even by Kenyan type skeletal structure just to have that light of a lean mass.

As an example here is our good friend Asbel Kiprop:
    Asbel%20Kiprop%20-%20Berlin%20WCH%20Day%203.jpg

6'2" and 138. 17.8 BMI, which is exactly what we would be looking at with 120lb lean mass and 5% BF (race lean). It takes a pretty rare genetic freak to have a build like that. Kiprop looks skinny even by Kenyan marathoner standards. I'd be shocked if 1 in 100,000 adult males have the body structure to be 5-6% BF and BMI sub 18.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I get around 8 hours of sleep and to maintian my weight i need to eat 2723 but im at a deficit eating 1800 cal i dont mind phat since i have all the time in the world rn.

Eating at a 33% deficit and doing PHAT, especially with your stats, is insane in the membrane.

It kills me to see young guys do stuff like this. PHAT is a power/hypertrophy program. While you can build *some* muscle in a *moderate* deficit, it's not going to be nearly as much as if you were to eat at maintenance or above. You look good now. If you were to eat enough to really build muscle, you'd be great in a relatively short period of time.

You're a young guy. You have testosterone on your side. Seeing guys like you waste that opportunity with cutting nonsense is, to me, like watching somebody light stacks of money on fire and letting it burn. Don't throw away what you've got in your favor.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

If 2723 is really your TDEE, you're eating at way too severe of a deficit at 1800, especially while on a lifting program. That's why you're so exhausted after working out, you're running on empty. It's also likely hindering your strength gains if you're not eating enough to properly recover.

I recommend gradually working your way back up closer to maintenance levels (say, 2300?, make adjustments as necessary) to fuel those heavy workouts and aid in recovery.
    Also, make sure you're getting enough protein. If you haven't, check out IIFYM.com.

Hang in there. You're actually off to a great start. Just keep reading and educating yourself (check out the articles on bodybuilding.com) on what it takes to get what you're aiming for and how long it could take.
    You may not be at 10% by March, but you'll be looking great and well on your way to becoming a lean mean machine.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one else has asked but....prom? How old are you?
  • jemhh
    Options
    I'm surprised no one else has asked but....prom? How old are you?

I don't comment directly on age unless a poster brings it up. Most people I know turn 18 shortly before or during their senior year. My husband turned 18 in May of his junior year. I was a baby--turned 18 a month after graduating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    well i just toke this picture its not the best but hopfully some idea 88tkahm31c5w.jpg

you are more like 18%…

you can do the following:

recomp now
    cut down to sub 15% and then run a bulk.
    or just cut down to sub 15% and then recomp

look into a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine..or if you are more advanced something like wendlers or PHUL
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    Just slow it done to a 15-20% deficit. And think, once you hit 12% bf, you'll never have to cut for 3+ months ever again, assuming you bulk slowly.
  • dragon44xd
    Options
    Well i think im going to cut down to 13-15% body fat and then bulk from there and am going to follw fiecre 5 as most of you said its a good program to follow.thank you so much for helping me out