Is it worth getting weight loss pills?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You'll notice diet aids always have the caveat "along with a balanced diet and exercise." That tells you what's doing the actual work.

This. Nevermind that many can be down right dangerous as they are not closely regulated. Ones that stay on the market for a long time (because they aren't found to be dangerous) usually are not effective.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's my anecdote.

I used phentermine for one month, I was prescribed the medication for 3 as my doctor uses it as a "jump start" for weight loss if patients seek it. We had a long conversation about the risks and benefits.
    I followed the prescription, took it first thing in the morning.
    If I would have taken it later than say, 9am, I would not have slept that night. It's basically speed.
    The first week I felt jittery, nauseous, and on edge. This subsided after the first week.
    I lost 12 pounds in that month (starting weight of 262). I was eating probably around 900 cals a day - IF I forced myself.
    After one month, my resting heart rate went from 70-80 to 136, so I elected to stop taking it.
    Had I gone back to my previous lifestyle, the 12lbs would have been negated. At first I went back up about 5 as my body adjusted to eating more as my appetite returned.

But, I took that jumpstart for what it was, and am now down another 60lbs. I did that with CICO, moving more, and eating less. I still eat pretty much whatever I want, just not as much. Sometimes as much, I'll be real. But most of the time, I eat a modest deficit and work out. Could I be further? Sure. Could it have gone faster? Sure. But this way... this way is sustainable. This way is forever.

Don't waste your money on over the counter crud, and know that anything you get from your doctor will be temporary, and speed. You won't eat three meals a day. You will choke on what you force yourself to eat. It can be worth it as a jumpstart, if you use it that way. Weigh the pros and cons out for yourself. I'm glad I did it, it got me going, got me motivated, and I learned a lot about portioning as I made myself eat when I wasn't even kind of hungry.

Best of luck.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    xNausicaa wrote: »
    I was looking for something to help boost my weight loss and the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Would it be worth getting? Some did also promote fat burning.
    Have any of you tried any weight loss pills? What were your results?

You name the 'miracle pill' and I've probably tried it.
    Please, please PLEASE save your money. They absolutely do not work.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you discuss it with your dr and your dr has concerns about your health and believes you absolutely need to lose weight fast, under medical supervision, then pills your dr prescribes might have their place.
    If you mean trying on your own, no. At best you will be wasting your money, at worst you will be risking your health.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    As someone who has taken Alli, the weight loss pills, here is my 2P as there is a reason I stopped at brand #1 that I tried.

I honestly do not recommend taking pills. Alli works by incapsulating the fat you consume and taking it out of your body. Does it do this? Yes it does. What they do not tell you though is all about Alli Ups!! Just google it, it really is TMI!!

Eat anything fatty in any shape or form and you get horrific cramps, wind and you get to spend some quality time in the bathroom and with the washing machine, as I promise you your laundry bill will rocket, no matter how quickly you run to the bathroom, unless you got bum cheeks made out of steel.

Did I loose weight? Yes!! I was terrified of eating, I nearly gassed my poor OH to death and had to throw away clothes, terrified of accidents, my social life suffered and I spent too much time online taking to other sufferers so I could cope with the pills. Cleaning a fatty toilet several times a day is also no fun.

If you are willing to put up with horrific side effects, then go for it. If you do your research on the side effects, I think you will see that they are just not worth it. 33lbs CICO and counting, slower yes, but much more healthier on you and your loved ones.

If diet pills was the answer, nobody would be fat, whatever you decide, please do your own research on the side effects of the pills you are tempted by.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Adderall should do the trick
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Hi Hun
    A couple of points to note:
    1. There are no fat burners- that's woo!
    2. Prescribed weight loss pills are amphetamines (same as Adderall/ Concerta etc. too) . They reduce your appetite and that's why you lose weight. You may have every intention of eating 3 meals whilst taking them - but have you ever taken amphetamines? They make it almost impossible to face eating, you just can't stomach it.

So , some things to consider.

That second part isn't necessarily true if they are being taken for reasons other than weightloss. Plus the other side effects are horrible, I don't know how a normal person reacts (I've been on them for the treatment of adhd) but I barely slept and was jittery and tired at the same time all the time.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!! Just a bandaid.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I say to each it's own. I believe the use of weight loss pills in conjunction w diet and exercise is ok of course under the supervision of your doctor. Sometimes ppl feel that they are at the ends of their rope when they've done all they can (i.e
    Changing eating habits incorporating exercise portion control counting calories) and they are not professing any further and they been doing all the right things for along time now. So I can say that I'm utilize meds and am under supervision of my doctor. I eat right and stay active and thus far it's working. My appetite is curbing and I don't feel like I'm deprived either. I don't have any of the side effects except dry mouth but I like water so I jusy drink more. Again it's different for everyone. Just my thoughts on it. Good to you all on whichever path is best in regards to your health.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I say to each it's own. I believe the use of weight loss pills in conjunction w diet and exercise is ok of course under the supervision of your doctor. Sometimes ppl feel that they are at the ends of their rope when they've done all they can (i.e
    Changing eating habits incorporating exercise portion control counting calories) and they are not professing any further and they been doing all the right things for along time now.

I agree with this. If someone is working with their doctor and their doctor believes that a prescribed weight loss drug would be more helpful than harmful, I think it can be a useful tool. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a period of time where you are not being driven by hunger to evaluate your eating habits and develop a realistic plan that you will stick with long term. As long as you go into the whole process knowing that you do have to do the work on your own--you will still have to develop a sustainable eating plan that you can maintain after you stop taking the drugs. Most of them are for very short term use. I think only a few have been approved for long term use & they are very expensive. Even the fda approved drugs have serious side effects. I would stay away from any over the counter ones. They are not effective--I have tried some of them in the distant past, & some of them proved to be very dangerous.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Go to Amazon and search for "Zeebo". Order their pills and download their free app to track your results. Guaranteed to be zero negative health effects, provided you're not allergic to the ingredients.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Go to Amazon and search for "Zeebo". Order their pills and download their free app to track your results. Guaranteed to be zero negative health effects, provided you're not allergic to the ingredients.

I'm glad I google before I respond :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

What a hoot! Thanks for that suggestion, the best part was reading customer reviews.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Changing eating habits incorporating exercise portion control counting calories) and they are not professing any further and they been doing all the right things for along time now. So I can say that I'm utilize meds and am under supervision of my doctor. I eat right and stay active and thus far it's working. My appetite is curbing and I don't feel like I'm deprived either. I don't have any of the side effects except dry mouth but I like water so I jusy drink more. Again it's different for everyone. Just my thoughts on it. Good to you all on whichever path is best in regards to your health.

How long has it been since you started the meds?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Anyhow, of the various types of pills:

1. "Fat burners" - most of these are just mild stimulants, and most of the benefit they have is in their caffeine content. Drink coffee, tea, or soda instead.

2. "Fat burners" that are actually thermogenics. Most are so mild they might burn a few calories, but won't have any significant effect. There has been one that is actually effective, although the fact that many people died even when doctors were administering precise dosages means it's simply too dangerous - the dosage range that is high enough to burn fat and low enough to not kill you is very narrow, and unpredictable even for people who had their dosages checked and adjusted by medical personnel. Don't buy these either. At best you'll lose money, at worst you'll die.

3. Appetite suppressants. These might be helpful if you have an issue with extreme hunger even when at a reasonable calorie deficit (for example, Prader-Willi syndrome). Anything here that isn't prescription only is a scam.

4. Orlistat / Xenical / Alli - this is a drug that prevents your intestines from absorbing some of the fat in a meal, so you excrete it rather than absorb it. It will reduce your calories in, but at the expense of some gastrointestinal side effects. You also need to be careful about getting your fat-soluble vitamins as this does block their absorption too. There is also a risk of kidney or liver damage. Alli is the half-strength over-the-counter version.

Of these, only the latter two are safe and effective, but even there, you can get the same level of results without the side effects by meal planning and calorie counting, and unlike the drugs, these will help you for the rest of your life. I think most people will find the drugs unnecessary, but if you choose to take them, I'd start with a doctor, and not buy from a random store selling "supplements" - which are nearly entirely unregulated.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

How long has it been since you started the meds?

Hi Janie

I started taking these meds for almost 2 weeks. I've lost some weight. I am monitored by my doctor w every 2 week visits. Each visit I get a script for 14 pills. I am measured weighed have EKG done all to keep me accountable.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

I Googled these. The reviews are great.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Hi Hun
    A couple of points to note:
    1. There are no fat burners- that's woo!
    2. Prescribed weight loss pills are amphetamines (same as Adderall/ Concerta etc. too) . They reduce your appetite and that's why you lose weight. You may have every intention of eating 3 meals whilst taking them - but have you ever taken amphetamines? They make it almost impossible to face eating, you just can't stomach it.

So , some things to consider.

I taken amphetamines and even though I wasnt hungry, I still ate because I knew I should.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the ones who were helpful. I am dieting and exercising by the way. With my hypothyroidism, it's hard dropping the weight like everyone else. I'm not being lazy, I just need a boost.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the ones who were helpful. I am dieting and exercising by the way. With my hypothyroidism, it's hard dropping the weight like everyone else. I'm not being lazy, I just need a boost.

The sooner you get around to eating within your calorie limit the quicker you'll lose weight.

There is no quick fix. Anything advertising that will make you lose some then you'll gain it all back and then gain more.