The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Some of the marathon training plans you are following seem to be calling for crazy high mileage. I am doing a 50k plan and my highest month will only get to 195 miles and only two weeks that get to 50 miles... Doing 245-250 miles a month is intense...

@MorningGhost14 I wrote my own training plan, adding about 5 miles per week to my range from my last training cycle. I peak around 250/month and 66/week. It's a lot, but I really enjoy doing lots of runs and a few longish ones per week. I saw huge gains in speed last cycle doing ~220/month and a peak week of 62, so I'm hoping to really solidify my BQ chances with this plan. Plus, somehow, I have fewer aches and pains when I run this kind of mileage (45+ per week) than when I used to run 30-40, so I keep at it.

This will be my third marathon training cycle so I plan to get to 65-70 miles/week range eventually this time around. I made it to 60-65 miles/week for a couple of months this past go round and about 55-60 my first time around. I can definetely see a difference when I up my mileage.

I am going to start out with a base build for a few weeks and add in some leg strength exercises and plyo.
    I already agreed to a mountain long run 2 saturday's from now. lol But hill sprints and VO2max workouts will also be on the list eventually. I hope all of this will shave 15-20 minutes off my time and get me a BQ. And hopefully the weather won't be in the 60's next December like it was for this year's RCM. lol

best of luck on your BQ quest @kristinegift

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I have a HM on 2/7 in Daytona Beach but I haven't been good about training for it like I did for the one I ran in October. The Holiday streak sort of took over all plans!
    I ran about 85 in December but I will have to taper the last week in January so I suppose I will just go for 75.

Thanks @stowshew71!
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In for 25
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm in for 45km

exercise.png

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Still determining what my goal race will be but I signed up to start an "official" half marathon training program with a goal of under 2 hours time with the RunKeeper program set to begin on 01/03 (it's the Gaudette program if I remember trainer's name right). I will not make goal for December but I'm close enough that I feel confident in upping goal to 70 for January.

I'm also going to shoot for 720 miles in 2016 overall. I may adjust that upward later in the year because I see my training program says it should end up with me doing around 45 miles a WEEK at some point. :o
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm setting my goal at 35, which was December's goal but I didn't reach it.

I'm not sure about where to go from here, I completed c25k, but I haven't ran for about 2 weeks I think, except trying to get back to it the other day and that didn't go well. I downloaded the 10 k app, which starts with 4 ten minute runs and 1 min walk in between them. Should I just start there and work on it, or back track a bit and build back up?
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Winter means
    • Colder Weather
    • Less Sunlight
    • Fewer RUNS

January
    In it for 50

exercise.png
    !

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    0ddb253816294d1.gif

• GBrady43068
    Options
    @becky_44: I would say that depends what "it didn't go well" means. Depending on pace, each 10 minute run interval could be anywhere from 1.25 miles down to around .3 . Can you give an idea of about how many miles you went and at what pace? That might give a better idea whether you should repeat part of the C25K or just go with the C210K and maybe make it a slower pace on the jogging intervals and build back up pacewise.
  • WushuDiamond
    WushuDiamond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im new to all of this, but i want to do it. I have bad knees so i may be walking alot, but i will do something. Thanks for the add
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the running challenge... My goal for this month will be 140miles
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am a newbie here. I am planning on trying to run a half marathon in May so I am looking to join groups like this for inspiration, motivation and advice. I wasn't really sure as far as what to set my goal at, so I'm going to try for 100 miles.

Wish me luck!

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 100+

Thanks for setting us up @Stoshew71 again!

Welcome all!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @becky_44: I would say that depends what "it didn't go well" means. Depending on pace, each 10 minute run interval could be anywhere from 1.25 miles down to around .3 . Can you give an idea of about how many miles you went and at what pace? That might give a better idea whether you should repeat part of the C25K or just go with the C210K and maybe make it a slower pace on the jogging intervals and build back up pacewise.

Thanks for responding! I already run as slow as about a 15 min mile so I don't want to slow it up more. I ran 5 mins then walked 5 mins then ran another 5 min, but my lower legs were too tight to get back into another run. The tightness is why I had to stop and walk. I think this happens from fluid built up, and though I'm usually extra careful about sodium, it was Christmas. I also have tendons tightening up too, especially my Achilles so I try to watch foods that cause inflammation. (We suspect I have RA, but hasn't been confirmed yet.)
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    @becky_44: My gut would be to go back and do part of the C25K since slowing pace isn't an option until your base builds back up a bit but I don't have experience with tendon issues personally (thank goodness) so I might want to defer to some of the other folks on that score. Anyone?
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »

Thanks for responding! I already run as slow as about a 15 min mile so I don't want to slow it up more. I ran 5 mins then walked 5 mins then ran another 5 min, but my lower legs were too tight to get back into another run. The tightness is why I had to stop and walk. I think this happens from fluid built up, and though I'm usually extra careful about sodium, it was Christmas. I also have tendons tightening up too, especially my Achilles so I try to watch foods that cause inflammation. (We suspect I have RA, but hasn't been confirmed yet.)

Honestly, I'd probably go back to the beginning of C25K. The first few weeks should be pretty easy on you, but that will help your pace improve and help prevent soreness or injury. If you don't feel like Week 1 is cutting it for you once you've done the first day, consider jumping ahead to Week 2. Listen to your body--it will tell you what to do--but you're better off starting with too little than too much, in my opinion.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In for 105. Love everyone's ambition!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had a mild to moderate case of extensor tendonitis after my full marathons this fall. In my case I loosened my laces to provide relief, especially my daily non-running shoes. I still lace my running shoes the same jsut not as tight. For my non-running shoes I went with the "ladder lacing" technique described in the link below. I noticed quite a difference from those lacing changes. I also took a couple weeks off of running, but did some walking. I found I had to limit my walking distance a little at first as I would start noticing it if I went too far.

http://www.foot-pain-explored.com/extensor-tendonitis.html
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/how-to-lace-your-running-shoes/

Hope it clears up quickly!

• dz9412
    dz9412 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    50 miles in January.

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Some of the marathon training plans you are following seem to be calling for crazy high mileage. I am doing a 50k plan and my highest month will only get to 195 miles and only two weeks that get to 50 miles... Doing 245-250 miles a month is intense...

@MorningGhost14 - Yes, it is intense. No, I don't know whether I can do it. I'll find out by trying. But one of my buddies went through this training schedule for Wineglass 2015, and it resulted in improving his time from Wineglass 2014 by almost 10 minutes. That improved his seeding for Boston 2016 and qualified him for Boston 2017 by 16 minutes and change.

I also have the advantage of having a plan written by my coach. If it starts looking like I can't hack it, I can go to him for modifications. Plan A is to not need the modifications; but if push comes to shove, avoiding the couch is more important than being the fastest runner I can be on Patriot Day. I've already made the modification of scaling the mileage down to the base I achieved before formal training instead of the nominal base the program asks for; but that's a standard adjustment, included in the instructions for the plan.

I'm more worried about being generally crunched for time and getting enough sleep than I am by the mileage. It helps to be an empty nester who can work from home 3 days a week.

Edited to add: January might look a bit high because it has 5 Saturdays, and thus 5 long runs. Throw in Resolution Run tomorrow plus the warmup before that race, and January gets about 22 of the 46 miles I run this week, plus 4 full weeks of training and an extra Sunday where the plan says 8-14 miles. That's one reason I don't think in terms of miles per month; the way the calendar falls can skew the result.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and I'm really looking forward to this challenge :) I'm going for 60 miles, good luck everyone :)