The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Marigoldie
    Marigoldie Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to the group and very excited. I have some time opening up so I want to use it to get healthier. My goal for January is 50 miles.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    I'm setting my goal at 35, which was December's goal but I didn't reach it.

I'm not sure about where to go from here, I completed c25k, but I haven't ran for about 2 weeks I think, except trying to get back to it the other day and that didn't go well. I downloaded the 10 k app, which starts with 4 ten minute runs and 1 min walk in between them. Should I just start there and work on it, or back track a bit and build back up?

I say pick a training week and see how ypu feel. Two weeks off sets me back quite a bit. The rule is every week off, sets you back one week, one month- one month. But you do come back quicker.

I had a hard time getting started and became frustrated with alll the plans. I had to change my goal to a time goal. I'd do 30 minutes a day, 2-4 days a week and that may have been a mile. Gradually my distance improved and I added more time. Especially if you may be dealing with RA, allow yourself to tailor your own goals.

I have a neuromuscular disorder that doesn't make running easy. I still do a lot of walking.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Question about carbs during running.. I find if I run more than 5-6k non-stop it sends my stomach into havoc once I'm home. I'm trialling walking a bit after every few km's of running.. So far it's working and I don't feel so bad afterwards.

If I am walking for a bit after every 3-4K or so of running, would I need some carbs once I get over the 10K mark, like I would if I were running the whole way non-stop?

Also, what do you carry with you on long runs?

I am looking at a flipbelt to hold my phone and snacks, if I need them.. Though not sure how easy it will be to get things out of?

Do you carry a drink bottle or use some other hip carrying device that holds a water bottle? I'm trying to think ahead for long runs and want to start getting a few things together. I appreciate any advice you can give!

At the moment I just carry my phone in my hand and keys in my pocket but fine I can get a little dizzy running sometimes so not sure if this means I could benefit from one of those carbohydrate snacks or sports drink over water instead

For long runs, I take an 18 oz Nathan water bottle, or a 10 oz one, depending on the weather and how long "long" is. Both are hand-held with a strap so I don't have to grasp it tightly, and have a little pocket to store keys, an ID card, and usually I can fit my dried fruit that I eat on long runs in there as well (I munch on dried pineapple and cranberries; high in carbs and easy to eat and not sticky!). I know a lot of people don't like holding things when they run, but I prefer it to anything around my waist or hips; when I run with something around my middle it makes me feel kind of sick. I don't run with my phone because it's just too big, I just wear my GPS watch and an iPod shuffle for music and podcasts.

I'm not sure carbs on the run will help your stomach, as your stomach doesn't work as well while running as when you're stopped. That's why it's important to find foods that agree with you to avoid stomach cramping during training or a race. However, you should defer to others here, since I've never had much of an issue with my stomach on the run.

If you are dizzy running up to 10k, it's more likely to be a hydration issue than a nutrition one, I think. I'd start with just bringing some water in whatever vessel you like best and see if that helps, rather than adding food to your runs.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Setting a goal of 62 miles for January. Recovering from pneumonia, so it'll mostly be walking until I can breathe freely again. Sitting on my bottom certainly won't help!
  • kpondskponds
    kpondskponds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50 miles. Newbie to the running group here.

exercise.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm in again with a goal of 50k. I'm not sure where my training will put me so I'll start there and adjust next month if needed.
    I didn't hit last month's goal because I stopped doing anything the last two weeks. I've really struggled with motivation but I have my 2016 goal races lined up and going to have to start training.
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 35 miles...need to start slow, I always end up hurting my foot or something if I start too much...and this time I am using the gym as well so will alternate...
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In for 100 miles! Let's go 2016.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Question about carbs during running.. I find if I run more than 5-6k non-stop it sends my stomach into havoc once I'm home. I'm trialling walking a bit after every few km's of running.. So far it's working and I don't feel so bad afterwards.

If I am walking for a bit after every 3-4K or so of running, would I need some carbs once I get over the 10K mark, like I would if I were running the whole way non-stop?

Also, what do you carry with you on long runs?

I am looking at a flipbelt to hold my phone and snacks, if I need them.. Though not sure how easy it will be to get things out of?

Do you carry a drink bottle or use some other hip carrying device that holds a water bottle? I'm trying to think ahead for long runs and want to start getting a few things together. I appreciate any advice you can give!

At the moment I just carry my phone in my hand and keys in my pocket but fine I can get a little dizzy running sometimes so not sure if this means I could benefit from one of those carbohydrate snacks or sports drink over water instead

When I first started running, especially in the morning, I felt sluggish as I ran. Quickly over time I just fought through it mentally and was able to overcome it. Now a large mug of coffee is all I need to get through a medium distance run (about an hour).

On longer runs I will carry with me a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade or PowerAde. It took me some time to get used to that cause it can feel heavy if you are not used to it. I just eventually got used to it that I can carry that bottle full for a good 90 minutes if I had to. Took me almost 2 years. Lol.

The other thing is to pre plant water bottles or other aid along your route ahead of time so you don't have to carry it. Maybe hide them in the leaves, under a bush, or behind a sign.

So scientifically speaking, your body should have enough stored energy in the form of glycogen and fats. It may take some time to break apart these fat stores n glycogen into usable glucose. The more you practice running this way your body will in time learn to do it better by developing more of the harmones and enzymes that break these down. The faster you run (beyond your aerobic zone) the more you force your body to use glycogen (a stored carb). You only have so much glycogen in your liver and muscles. If you run first thing in the morning fasted, you are pretty much running on depleted liver glycogen and only have muscle glycogen left. If you ate some quick carbs about an hour or 2 before you run, your body will replenish your liver glycogen.

The longer you run at an easy conversational pace, the more you stimulate the body's ability to use stored fat as fuel. Usually this involves a long run for at least 90 minutes to make this stimulation effective.
    The key thing is to run your long run at an easy conversational pace. Run harder and you overwork your aerobic capability and force your body to burn more carbs when you want to teach your body to use fat as fuel.

Over time your body will make the conversion to burn more fat than carbs much sooner and you will feel better during your run. Supplementation with carbs during the run also counters the body learning to rely more on fat. So it is best to use carbs on the run sparingly and fuel up about an hour or 2 before the run as oppose to during it.

Just some things to think about.

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    4 miles today. Left ankle is still aching a little from that 11 mile treadmill run I did about 3 weeks ago, but nothing major. It was cold, 25 degrees, with breeze in my face for the first two miles. May need to consider a neck gaiter to cover my cheeks and nose in the future, as my cheeks felt like they were about to fall off for the first mile or so.

Progress: 4 of 145.1 miles completed. :smiley:
  • terrifrost
    terrifrost Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My goal for January is 100km. Doing a 12km tomorrow which will put in a good start!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I wanted to hit 25 miles last month for my first month back after injury and I ended up at 30+. I think I will try for a stretch goal of 40 miles as I am trying add miles so I have a longer run once a week and 3 miles each of the rest of the runs.

1/1 4.0 miles. First run of the new year. Tripped over Neeko 3 times but otherwise good and already 2 minutes faster then last time.

4.0 down 36 to go
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles of pain - ITB started to kill me at mile 2 had to stop and cry (poor Skip she got so upset) I walked a bit and ran a bit for the last 1.5 miles - BTW give me a few days and I'll stop whining I promise

3.5 of 120 miles

exercise.png

Happy New Year!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In December's thread I posted a picture from my last run, which was in a winter wonderland in northern Wisconsin, but the photo was taken with my old (and now broken), crappy cell phone. My wife took a much better picture with her cell phone and if you'll indulge me, I'd like to share it here. For you new folks, a few days ago I had the magical experience of running 10 miles in this:

ifu4con1e6ee.jpg
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 that is just so beautiful. It's cold enough today for this but we don't have any.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I ran every day since last Saturday. Normally Sunday is my rest day but since I decided to trails last Sunday I haven't had a break yet. Plus I was squeezing in as many miles as I could get in this past month to make up for December's goal (which I missed by 15). So today is a rest day for me. I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow. I may however put in a couple of really easy miles later on with my wife if she wants to go. Otherwise the first day of the year will be a rest day.
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles of pain - ITB started to kill me at mile 2 had to stop and cry (poor Skip she got so upset) I walked a bit and ran a bit for the last 1.5 miles - BTW give me a few days and I'll stop whining I promise

3.5 of 120 miles

exercise.png

Happy New Year!

Maybe I need to run with Skip. You can then run with Jennifer. Lol.

@7lenny7 That picture is so awesome.

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

• Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    200 km at least ( 10 down 190 to go)
  • kittary
    kittary Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    New to running but want to give this a try. I will be using an app to kick this off. My goal is 30 miles for January.