The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here, and aiming for 45 miles in January!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You can tell I have a lot going on this evening.. And I've had a steroid shot... (Extra neurotic).

Who streaked? I know @ddmom081 (high five- you're awesome girl!) did. I petered.

Alright all you stalkers. Make a January goal. Come on, I know you are there thinking " I just don't have what it takes to hang with this group". I know its cold, I know its scary, and I know you wanna run. 10 miles? It can be in walking your living room or walking your dog. Where do you wanna be this time next year?

Lace 'em up folks!

I've said it before....we REALLY need a "like" button!

I'm in for 70!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You can tell I have a lot going on this evening.. And I've had a steroid shot... (Extra neurotic).

Who streaked? I know @ddmom081 (high five- you're awesome girl!) did. I petered.

Alright all you stalkers. Make a January goal. Come on, I know you are there thinking " I just don't have what it takes to hang with this group". I know its cold, I know its scary, and I know you wanna run. 10 miles? It can be in walking your living room or walking your dog. Where do you wanna be this time next year?

Lace 'em up folks!

I've said it before....we REALLY need a "like" button!

I'm in for 70!
    I agree - so many posts that I wanted to 'like'!

I am in for 120 miles. I have 3 races in February so I need to get in some good miles this month and then cut back going into February. Hopefully work and travel don't get in the way!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In for 45 km

Newbie with a sore hip muscle the past 2 days so I'm taking the first week off running to let it heal.

I don't feel any pain walking, and have done 13 km of steps today.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Gotta get my butt in gear and really work on that HM training--only 7 weeks to go! I'm going to say that I'm in for 120. That's my biggest goal ever, and a 20% increase from my normal.

1/1
    1/2

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Dropping down from 230 miles in December to 180 in January, as I'm tapering/resting after the Disney marathon on the 10th, then starting a plan for my May marathon once I finish the post-race recovery. I suspect a Boston qualifier will be out of reach for Disney based on the latest race day weather forecast, but it should be doable for the Pittsburgh marathon in May with the higher mileage plan despite the hillier course. Speaking of which...
    Some of the marathon training plans you are following seem to be calling for crazy high mileage. I am doing a 50k plan and my highest month will only get to 195 miles and only two weeks that get to 50 miles... Doing 245-250 miles a month is intense...

I took a bit of an independent approach for planning for Disney - following the Garmin II HR marathon plan, but adding extra long slow distance mileage and some team speedwork workouts - peaking around 60 miles/week. Still, I suspect I'll have a better shot at a Boston Qualifier time at my May marathon, so I'm going to give Pfitzinger's 18 week 70 miles/week plan a shot (see: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-advantage - but basing my garmin workout files on HR range). February mileage (despite only being 4 weeks) increases up to 260 and March peaks at 310 miles. With my half-ironman planned for early April, I may scale back March a slight bit, but I'll play things by ear based on how my marathon next weekend turns out.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Question about carbs during running.. I find if I run more than 5-6k non-stop it sends my stomach into havoc once I'm home. I'm trialling walking a bit after every few km's of running.. So far it's working and I don't feel so bad afterwards.

If I am walking for a bit after every 3-4K or so of running, would I need some carbs once I get over the 10K mark, like I would if I were running the whole way non-stop?

Also, what do you carry with you on long runs?

I am looking at a flipbelt to hold my phone and snacks, if I need them.. Though not sure how easy it will be to get things out of?

Do you carry a drink bottle or use some other hip carrying device that holds a water bottle? I'm trying to think ahead for long runs and want to start getting a few things together. I appreciate any advice you can give!

At the moment I just carry my phone in my hand and keys in my pocket but fine I can get a little dizzy running sometimes so not sure if this means I could benefit from one of those carbohydrate snacks or sports drink over water instead
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a January goal of 50km which is pretty low compared to most people's but for me running is secondary to swimming.

1 January: 6km
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60 miles :smiley:

I'm also doing the 2,016 miles in 2016 - but I'm including both walking and running.

exercise.png
  • jmatt67
    jmatt67 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm new and feeling inspired by this group!

exercise.png
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Question about carbs during running.. I find if I run more than 5-6k non-stop it sends my stomach into havoc once I'm home. I'm trialling walking a bit after every few km's of running.. So far it's working and I don't feel so bad afterwards.

If I am walking for a bit after every 3-4K or so of running, would I need some carbs once I get over the 10K mark, like I would if I were running the whole way non-stop?

I am looking at a flipbelt to hold my phone and snacks, if I need them.. Though not sure how easy it will be to get things out of?

Do you carry a drink bottle or use some other hip carrying device that holds a water bottle? I'm trying to think ahead for long runs and want to start getting a few things together. I appreciate any advice you can give!

At the moment I just carry my phone in my hand and keys in my pocket but fine I can get a little dizzy running sometimes so not sure if this means I could benefit from one of those carbohydrate snacks or sports drink over water instead

I have a Nathan water belt. It has a carry pocket and 2 bottles. I love it
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm starting running again after a break (for no reason other than laziness) since August. I ran 3.3km today at my slowest pace ever, but I'm determined to get back to where I was (I did a 12K in May). Goal of 35km!

ticker_designer.php?type=8
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• healthierhappierpaige95
    Options
    I'm in with the goal of 50miles for January 2016!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm back after a year on my backside!!! Starting the C25K again this time training my dog to run with me. So January's goal will be very small..just the 23 miles from me!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm in for 50 miles this month, with a 10km race on the 31st. Cannot wait!

1st Jan - 3.1miles Parkrun

Month to date - 3.1/50
  • MyLifeMyCreation
    MyLifeMyCreation Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    January GOAL: 120 miles

For 2016 I'm going to track my cumulative miles for the entire year (GOAL: 1000 miles)

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It couldnt hurt to try something.

The general rule is if you are going to be out running/walking longer than an hour have something at the first 45 minutes in. Then every 45-60 minutes and some water just, few oz,

As your body adapts you will be able to go longer with out supplementing sugars, because your glycogen stores have increased. Again you need water.

Everyone is different. I know there are some that don't bother with fuel for 1.5 hour runs. When I started logging 80+ minute runs (in the heat, cold may be diff) I needed something by 75 min or I was wiped out. I also made a point to run back by the car and get water.

I have a hydration belt with a zip pocket. I don't carry my phone, but if my HRM is down, I use a arm band for it. And I bought a neat little wrist pocket for my key, holds 2 GU packets. It fits my ankle. I make a point to find shorts/leggings with a zip pocket in the back for my keys. With the hydration belt I usually do 2 water, 1 Gatorade (from powder, to make a bit diluted).

You can go cheep, use raisins, m&m's, jelly beans, or buy gels, beans or blocks some with caffeine. I used the SportBeans training in the heat for my first half. I was sold on the no sticky GU, and vitiman B. The race offered GU, now I love the GU!

And there is a way to trick you body into giving up more glycogen. Once the glycogen tank is at a certain level, you are fighting to use it. You can swish with a bit of sugared drink and spit or chew something and spit it out. This may also force you body to use fat as fuel. Which ain't pretty cuz glycogen is easily burned, fat takes more energy to turn to glycogen. I'd be sloggin'. But others do it, and you adapt. Kind of a balancing act.

Oh short answer- yes, use mid run fuel :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lawlorka wrote: »
    I'm back after a year on my backside!!! Starting the C25K again this time training my dog to run with me. So January's goal will be very small..just the 23 miles from me!

Wow! Welcome. We all started with on mile!

@EmilyStopFlying, @jmatt6, @MyLifeMyCreation @emmab0902 @cali1675 and @healthierhappierpaige95 Woot woot! Welcome!

@ACSL3 were challenge pals! Anyone one else join Run the Year, officially or not?

Alright I see some miles logged. I'm assuming you guys are ahead of my time zone.. I'm going, really I am... It's early, but I see new faces, new miles, and I'm just sitting here looking a this surprise Buddha belly of mine, creeping on y'all. Makes me wanna run..