I get super dizzy when on exercise machines .

Options
champion818
champion818 Posts: 65 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Every time I go on the elliptical and especially the treadmill I get super dizzy . I know that when I get off the machine I will feel as if the whole gym is going in a 360 motion . When I get off the treadmill my body is still in the motion of as if I was still on it . I drink plenty of water and eat prior to exercise so thats not an issue . I have no low blood suger so thats not an issue either. My heart rate is usually 175 bpm when exercise, which I dont know if its bad or good.

Replies

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Might be a good idea to see your GP & get this checked out. Could be lots of things from vertigo or ear infection to high or low blood pressure. Best to get qualified medical advice.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's clearly a sign you shouldn't be doing cardio :p (just jokes.... Kind of! Feeling dizzy isn't good but I'm not a fan of cardio either, haha)

Are you breathing properly? Getting enough good quality mineral salt?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a condition where his blood pressure drops SIGNIFICANTLY when stopping exercise. Get it checked by a doctor, it could be serious.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Every time I go on the elliptical and especially the treadmill I get super dizzy . I know that when I get off the machine I will feel as if the whole gym is going in a 360 motion . When I get off the treadmill my body is still in the motion of as if I was still on it . I drink plenty of water and eat prior to exercise so thats not an issue . I have no low blood suger so thats not an issue either. My heart rate is usually 175 bpm when exercise, which I dont know if its bad or good.

Thats not a good sign and migh indicate that something else is going on. What happens when you try to keep your heart rate lower? (like 130-150)?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Slow down. How fast are you trying to go?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    I am with those who suggest seeing your doctor. This could be something somewhat serious. Better to get it checked out than find out the issue is serious when something bad happens.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    First, I agree that a trip to the doctor is not a bad idea. Second, I used to have the same thing but don't anymore. When you're about done on the machine, slow it down by a small amount, then slow it down more, until you're at a slow walk. Then stop the machine and wait for 30 seconds or however long it takes to get your bearings. Personally, it seemed I just needed to get used to it. But maybe it could be related to blood pressure. Anyway, it is good to do a proper cool down to make sure your heart rate is at an appropriate level before you get off the machine.
  • sillekered
    sillekered Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get dizzy when first lying down or sitting up?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    175heart rate is pushing it. Slow down. Feeling dizzy while exercising is a common result of not eating enough, dehydration and improper breathing techniques. Not something that is considered normal or healthy. Could signal high blood pressure or heart disease. Definitely see a dr. They will probably schedule a stress test or echo stress test.
    How do you feel when you power walk? Try power walking on a track or at least off a machine. How long have you been active? Going from couch-to-active can bring this on, too. It sounds like your BP drops significantly. Definitely stop the exercise and keep your head above your heart, walk around or sit but don't lie down when this is happening. How does it respond with a small snack? Body should respond with water, a small snack (for blood sugar). Do you eat protein before exercise? Protein stabilizes blood sugar.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Make sure not to exercise without fuel, aka pre workout food. Also you might be pushing your self too much, or not taking enough time to cool off after exercise. After you're done try cooling off for another 10-15 minutes on the same machine. Never stopping completely, just lowering down intensity, until your heart rate lowers.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Doctor

And slow down
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could be dehydration - which can elevate heart rate quite a bit as well and cause dizziness, balance issues. Could be inner ear. Could be exercising too hard without enough fuel (try a bottle of sports drink about 45 minutes before you work out). Could be blood pressure.

Do you do proper warm-up (say 10-20 minutes in low heart rate zones) before jacking it up to the 175 bpm range? Do you do a nice cool down at lower heart rates after that before getting off the treadmill or eliptical?

Have you tried exercising on a recumbent exercise bike or upright exercise bike to see if you get the same "dizzy" feeling? I would be curious about that.

None of us are medical doctors, so I would agree with the advice above regarding seeing your GP to get checked out and see if anything is found.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doctor

And slow down

I agree. You're probably just pushing yourself too hard, but get it checked just in case.

• JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Doctor

And slow down

This. 175 is too high. You can use this calculator to estimate what it should be. You want to be between 55-85%.
    http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate
  • SingingSingleTracker
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Doctor

And slow down

This. 175 is too high. You can use this calculator to estimate what it should be. You want to be between 55-85%.
    http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

I would be careful to say that 175 is not too high for everyone. At age 54, 175 bpm is what I can sustain for 20 minutes to just about an hour in my Zone 4/front edge of Zone 5 on the bike. I'll take it up to 181-183 on the steep hill climbs and all out sprints.

The OP may have a much higher maximum HR and for her, 175 may not be too high. She claimed "My heart rate is usually 175 bpm when exercise, which I dont know if its bad or good."

Perhaps that is a good heart rate for her intervals. We need more information on the duration she holds that. Perhaps her treadmill and elliptical sessions are short HIIT sessions. We just don't know enough to speculate with a statement that 175 bpm is too high.

Those calculators that subtract your age from some number that fits all is not the preferred method to determine one's heart rate zones for exercise. Using that calculator, it recommends I target a HR of 91 to 141. However, my Zone 2 HR starts at 139 so I fear that if I used that calculator I would learn to go really slow on a bike.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Double - sorry.
  • christinaleigh44
    christinaleigh44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started using a treadmill and it was TERRIBLE! When I didn't let myself cool down for at least 5-10 minutes. While still using it, just slow down and wait before getting off.. I would also hold on to something nearby for a few minutes when you first get off. It went away after about a week or so of doing this everyday. I run outside now and have never had this happen to me outdoors. Hope it goes away for you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

It sounds like a blood pressure issue. Talk to your dr. And slow down in the meantime.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem many moons ago and AFTER checking with my doctor a friend who worked the front desk at a gym asked how much diet pop I drank, it was a lot. I stopped/cut way back and would drink some gatorade before my workout and it helped.

I am not arguing that pop or sweetners are all bad but limiting them helped me.

But before anything...check with your doctor.