One more question, how often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only officially record once a week. The daily keeps in the forefront of my mind and the weekly helps to keep track of progress over time.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I like weighing daily, I feel like I get immediate feedback and it motivates me to eat well and exercise for the rest of the day, it also allows me to see if I'm making progress during the week, and what foods make me bloat. Its probably better to weigh weekly though, its easy to get obsessed.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think it will really depend on your mentality. I used to weigh weekly because seeing the little ups and downs was too much for me to do it daily. Then I started to weigh daily, while keeping in mind that my weight will fluctuate, so I could keep better track of how different foods and exercises effect my weight. So whatever you chose has to be right for you at this moment. Maybe it will be daily, maybe it will be weekly. That's for you to decide.

(sorry if I just gave you the politician's answer, I just know that nobody can make that decision for you)
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself very often at all, the scales are only a guide and they can lie, especially if you are working out and gaining lean muscle mass, the mirror and comparison photos 30 days apart are a good way to monitor your body :)
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly, I also check my muscle and fat percentage. Your body weight can vary day to day up to 2 pounds, so if you do decide to weigh your self daily only take a weekly average in consideration. I would say tho most often that I would ever weigh my self is weekly.
    I do prefer measuring my self, or comparing old clothes, etc. If you gain muscles and lose fat your scale might not show progress even tho you've made some.
  • lolowjc05
    lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I see that everyone is kind of pretty much of the mindset as to whatever works best for you.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Weekly - Wednesday mornings.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Just to buck the trend, I am planning to weigh WEEKLY. I think (for me) daily weighin would be demotiviating if I didnt see what I liked after what I thought was a good day the day before.

It's a matter of perspective. Your weight on any given day is maybe 10% about how "good" the previous day was, and 90% about your water balance or the contents of your digestive tract. Even if you're losing fast, that's 0.1-0.25 lb/day of fat loss. That's an entire order of magnitude lower than the typical fluctuations of water weight.

So when I weigh daily, I know that the day-to-day change is effectively irrelevant, and not a reflection on my success on the previous day. The long-term trend is, on the other hand, very informative as to how successful I am in the long term.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Weekly... Sometimes I weigh my self mid-week just to see what's going on though. I did that this week and was pleasantly surprised! Hopefully it stays that way!
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    lolowjc05 wrote: »
    I am leaning towards daily, I just need to remind myself that if I'm up a 1/2 pound or something that it's not a deal breaker but rather just a fluctuation with water or something. Especially if I have done all the right things with food and exercising.

Yep, this is exactly how I look at it.

I have been a Weight Watcher's member in the past. When I look back at all the weekly weigh-ins where I wanted to cry (and sometimes did) I now realize those might just have been a water-weight or hormonal fluctuations. Today - armed with the daily info - I'd take in stride. I use an app on my phone to record daily, and post a loss here once it's stuck for a few days in a row.
  • lolowjc05
    lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What app do you use to record your daily weight?
  • ClicquotBubbles
    ClicquotBubbles Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh every couple of months but try not to do it at all. It acts as a huge de-motivator for me. I prefer to measure and look in the mirror and judge by how I feel during workouts. I have a little scrap book that I note down in.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I weigh every couple of months but try not to do it at all. It acts as a huge de-motivator for me. I prefer to measure and look in the mirror and judge by how I feel during workouts. I have a little scrap book that I note down in.

If it works for you, that's great. I could never do that, largely because even at 70 lb down, I just don't see it in the mirror most of the time. Other people see it, I get a lot of comments, and of course I notice I am wearing pants that are 10 inches smaller in size, so clearly I should be able to see a difference, but mostly I don't. The scale moves far faster than my perception of my own weight loss.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    lolowjc05 wrote: »
    Through doing a couple different diet plans, I have been instructed a little differently as to what the frequency should be for weighing myself. One plan said, do it weekly and the other one said do it daily. Thoughts?

Daily, but as long as I'm reasonably on track, I only record new lows. That way I see the trend.

I have a relatively strong cyclical pattern: 2-4 days of new lows in a row followed by bouncing above the new low for 3-7 days (up to 5 lbs above, but more typically within 2 lbs), then another cycle of dropping. eo9yfqp1lsn2.jpg

If I recorded every day, those flat periods would be spikes upward.
  • ceilingfansandfryingpans
    Options
    Every single day because I'm OCD about it, and like others have said; more data=more information about how my body reacts to different foods and other factors.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As much as possible. Not sure if it's healthy but I replace eating cookies with stepping on the scale.
  • LuanneScott1971
    LuanneScott1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once per week for me.
  • ukr2amr
    ukr2amr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    every Monday
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining and a lifetime member of Weight Watchers so I go there once a month and record it here on MFP.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    tim201200 wrote: »
    I weigh daily..I need the check-in to keep me on track

ditto.. I weigh daily but don't necessarily log daily.