Whats your oupinion on National Don't wear a Bra Day?

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry. Don't get it. The idea was blatantly thought up by someone who is not a GG, and has not spent 6 years either pregnant or breastfeeding.

It's not about empathising, it's just stupid. I have all the empathy in the world. I lost one of my closest friends to cancer in March. Getting my tits out won't bring him back.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry. Don't get it. The idea was blatantly thought up by someone who is not a GG, and has not spent 6 years either pregnant or breastfeeding.

It's not about empathising, it's just stupid. I have all the empathy in the world. I lost one of my closest friends to cancer in March. Getting my tits out won't bring him back.

Let's not call it stupid because then you're calling every woman whom chooses not to wear a bra for the cause stupid as well. I lost an Aunt to breast cancer. I think she'd have a smile that I'm doing something (silly maybe) in her honor.

This is not about making women feel uncomfortable. If you do not want to do it...of course don't but let's not bash.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Its not supposed to be about how your floppy ginormous boobs look without a bra. Who cares. That is really not the point. Additionally, you have all the sympathy in the world but not the empathy unless you have actually had cancer yourself. The whole point is to actually be able to create a sense of empathy even if it is very tiny.

Sympathy is the broadest of these terms, signifying a general kinship with another's feelings, no matter of what kind: in sympathy with her yearning for peace and freedom; to extend sympathy to the bereaved.

Empathy most often refers to a vicarious participation in the emotions, ideas, or opinions of others, the ability to imagine oneself in the condition or predicament of another: empathy with those striving to improve their lives; to feel empathy with Hamlet as one watches the play (Random House Dictionary).

Normally, I am not one for splitting hairs and in this circumstance I feel I must since there is a difference and it is central to the point I am trying to make. Certainly if you feel that strongly against it please don't do it. However, perhaps you could try and empathize with those who feel that it makes a powerful statement.

Finally, I know I can empathize with your loss as I have lost two people in my life to cancer and am about to lose a third. I wish I could bring them all back and I know that it isn't possible. Yet, I can and will honor their memories and support women who have had or have breast cancer by participating in Don't wear a bra day. if nothing else, it will remind me of how truly blessed I am to have the choice of whether or not to wear one.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    i think i will stick to wearing pink. i dont think ANYBODY would be too happy about me not wearing my bra! lol. breast fed two kids! that speaks for itself! LOL.

Much agreed. .. I will stick to wearing pink. . . unless at home kickin it! :smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    What are you guys talking about? What is this "Breast Cancer" of which you speak? I'm not aware of it.

lol
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm for it...on a case by case basis
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So much joy-killery in MFP today. I think it's a fun idea and those that want to join in should do so with vigour, big or small, perky or floppy.

Wearing pink won't inherently ~RAISE AWARENESS~ or bring your dead friends back either, but it's a fun little thing to do to show your solidarity with others.

Finally: implying that not wearing a bra/wearing low cut tops = harrassment to men is hilarious and embarrassing.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    it is bloody stupid and its sexist.

why do all the "supposed" breast cancer awareness things, always involve telling the world what colour knickers youre wearing, writing on facebook "where you 'like it'", going without a bra for the day, - ALL awareness things seem to involve women doing something with sexual connotations

Its fab if you want to raise money for a worthwhile cause etc, but really there is no point letting your tits hang low for a day for the sake of awareness about something everybody is already bloody well aware of. Its not a sponsorship thing, and for most people its going to be bloody uncomfortable possiblyhumiliating, and unless youre a perky teenager or very very lucky, its probably not even going to look very nice.

You can let your boobs hang low all you want, but dont go insinuating that because you go along with a little internet game, that youre somehow more sympathetic to cancer than I am, or that youre raising awareness to ANYTHING. Do it for a bit of fun if you want, but thats all it is, and noone should feel pressurised into it. Do race for life or get a sponsorship for something challenging if you really care and want to help.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I don't think the point is to find a cure or make breast cancer all better.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • katschi
    Options
    I'm coming back as a man.
    I want to see what stupid looks like from the other side.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    what have you been doing for your boobs to be 'glistening'?
    i'm concerned about anyone who wants to show off their 'glistening' jigglers.

and if i went bra-less, the low cut top thing wouldn't bother me. that's because to see anything you shouldn't, i'd have to lift my t shirt from the bottom ;-0

but....... if you want to swing low, i say 'go ahead'! i'm a nurse- whatever you've got, i've seen worse! but i will say that if you have no bra AND no teeth, you're going to fit a certain... stereotype!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If we can do this.....why not Nation ED day.....erectial dysfunction day.....let it all hang out.....nah.....no one would have an issue with that now would they!!!!!! Big ones, small ones...thick ones, thin ones......I don't know who comes up with all these different ways to show support for cancer........if commando boobs in white tees is the only way to raise funds and awareness I think its time to hire a new PR team.
    i agree.... i've only ever seen small ones:laugh:
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just can't see how it would help or benefit breast cancer. Give $10 to your favorite charity..and keep the girls in their place...:smile:
  • katschi
    Options
    If women really wanted to show solidarity to their Sisters who have lost their breast(s) to cancer, perhaps they could strap their own to their chests to mimic what it might feel like, not show them off.
    Or carry placards of those women's chests who have lost their breasts (without faces for privacy).

Wouldn't showing what it looks like to NOT have your breasts because you've lost them to cancer raise more awareness?
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.

There are better activities to promote BCA and some things should remain private. I would tell you that I think I'll support my "girls" by wearing a pink bra that day, but OOPS! that would be too much information.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    If women really wanted to show solidarity to their Sisters who have lost their breast(s) to cancer, perhaps they could strap their own to their chests to mimic what it might feel like, not show them off.
    Or carry placards of those women's chests who have lost their breasts (without faces for privacy).

Wouldn't showing what it looks like to NOT have your breasts because you've lost them to cancer raise more awareness?

i agree.

way to make women with mastectomys feel sh1t by everyone showing off their lovely cleavages for a day
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm all for showing support (n.p.i.) however you like... I just hope I don't trip! lol
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    ihave a a ont wear a bra day every week its calle the weekend
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I, for one, love my breasts! I've had two kids and breast fed both of them. My breasts haven't been affected by gravity *thanks to good genes* I am surprised at how many people are offended or think this idea is stupid. Be proud of who you are and what you've got!

I will happily go braless in support of breast cancer!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I have decided to attend! I really do not like pink. :laugh: Though I may not do Turbo Fire, anything involving jumpping, jogging, or wearing a white t-shirt out in the rain. My girls are in a bra more than not, but hey why not!

Hey! Maybe we can inspire a bra burning event while we are at it! :drinker: