The science of weight loss and why it's unhelpful

Options
Do you think our ancestors gave a damn about macros?

We are designed to live in a world where the only stress we have is worrying about predators, scarcity of food and warmth.

I appreciate we can't go back to these times unfortunately, but replicate as best we can our natural requirements, exercise, weight training and natural food, and stick as best you can to your your calorie requirements.

It's that simple, for most people, everything outside of this is jargon, designed to confuse and adds little benefit.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We were designed ? Exercise and weight training are 20th century artefacts surely, before that we had work and living.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    :) Yep . I wish. I thought about getting a fitbit, hrm or whatever. I didn't. Come on, one decade ago nobody had those and people managed to stay fit and not keel over during their workouts. Still in some societies today being fat is actually a measure of being well off
    Well, I don't walk miles to fetch water and tend my field. Can't replicate these day to day activities. While my food is fairly unprocessed (well... I process it myself), I still eat a fair bit of packaged foods. I think people make too much of a big deal labelling their diets and tracking data. Selection bias OP. If you want "natural" trackers, get out of MFP. Otherwise, Welcome to 2016
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    We were designed ? Exercise and weight training are 20th century artefacts surely, before that we had work and living.

Maybe I'm missing your point? I said replicate as best we can I.e having a strong body and cardiovascular system
  • robs_ready
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    :) Yep . I wish. I thought about getting a fitbit, hrm or whatever. I didn't. Come on, one decade ago nobody had those and people managed to stay fit and not keel over during their workouts. Still in some societies today being fat is actually a measure of being well off
    Well, I don't walk miles to fetch water and tend my field. Can't replicate these day to day activities. While my food is fairly unprocessed (well... I process it myself), I still eat a fair bit of packaged foods. I think people make too much of a big deal labelling their diets and tracking data. Selection bias OP. If you want "natural" trackers, get out of MFP. Otherwise, Welcome to 2016

Agreed, I like data (I'm a a marketing manager) so I like using mfp for that ad motivating others.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing your point? I said replicate as best we can I.e having a strong body and cardiovascular system

maybe I missed yours - I rephrased it -

I appreciate we can't go back to these times unfortunately, but perhaps we should replicate as best we can our natural requirements by using exercise, weight training and natural food, and stick as best you can to your your calorie requirements.
  • robs_ready
    Options

maybe I missed yours - I rephrased it -

I appreciate we can't go back to these times unfortunately, but perhaps we should replicate as best we can our natural requirements by using exercise, weight training and natural food, and stick as best you can to your your calorie requirements.

We are now now on the same wavelength my friend!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Where's the science? Did I miss it somewhere? You have an opinion. That's fine, but don't be confusing that with science because it's not.
  • robs_ready
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Where's the science? Did I miss it somewhere? You have an opinion. That's fine, but don't be confusing that with science because it's not.

Lol what?

Did you Even bother to read the thread?

You've completely missed the point.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nah, I like the accomplishments of modern people.

Exactly none of the things we eat today are the 'natural' things we used to eat in the mythical days of yonder, where we were super healthy, muscular and all six feet tall because we ate so well.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Nah, I like the accomplishments of modern people.

Exactly none of the things we eat today are the 'natural' things we used to eat in the mythical days of yonder, where we were super healthy, muscular and all six feet tall because we ate so well.

So do I, but our bodies are not designed for modern food.

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Lol what?

Yup. Did read the thread. I see you have an opinion. I don't see your point and I don't see the science. You said something about we can't go back to how things were a long time ago. You say something about the fitness industry just trying to confuse things, which again, isn't science. So I'm not sure what you're trying to advocate here. Again, none of this is science. The name of the thread is "the science of weight loss and why it's unhelpful".
  • robs_ready
    Options

Lol what?

Yup. Did read the thread. I see you have an opinion. I don't see your point and I don't see the science. You said something about we can't go back to how things were a long time ago. You say something about the fitness industry just trying to confuse things, which again, isn't science. So I'm not sure what you're trying to advocate here. Again, none of this is science. The name of the thread is "the science of weight loss and why it's unhelpful".

No, I didnt say half of what you mention.

Dont worry, if you don't get it now, no point explaining.

Okhams razor, let's leave it at that.
  • siluridae
    Options

Our bodies aren't designed by anyone for anything.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

Our bodies aren't designed by anyone for anything.

Defeatest, bad attitude mate
  • siluridae
    edited January 2016
    Options

Defeatest, bad attitude mate

Alright, man, you go back to eating all those natural foods you for sure know made our ancestors super healthy.

(pssst, there are none anymore. We bred them all to be better than that lousy stuff we used to eat.)
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Well I'd rather eat organic food than twinkies, cos as my thread pointed out, going back to the natural way AS BEST WE CAN, man
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're right. Let's give up on trying to improve or understand anything with science. It's all pointless. I'll be in my cave, drawing in the walls if you need me.

ETA: You know what helps when something has changed so much it is basically impossible to replicate without help? Education and science.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    I loved and enjoyed every one of my 405 Twinkie calories yesterday.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    You're right. Let's give up on trying to improve or understand anything with science. It's all pointless. I'll be in my cave, drawing in the walls if you need me.

Sigh. ..

Because digesting proper food and maintaining our bodies from an evolutionary perspective is anti-science?

Way to go at completely missing the point.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    It's incredible how easily people take things out of context.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I loved and enjoyed every one of my 405 Twinkie calories yesterday.

Almost beat my record. . Almost.