what's wrong with cardio ?

I read some posts and it seemed people were not too keen on cardio. Just wondering if it was something they did not enjoy or an issue when trying to lose weight. I just started my weight loss mission and going on the elyptical a few times a week was going to be my exercise of choice.

Replies

• canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Theres nothing wrong with cardio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    NOTHING. It's good for you. Weight training is also very good for you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    There is nothing wrong with it and it is good for your health, heart and bone density. You should add in some strength training also.

Weight loss is down to eating less than you burn so you don't even have to do any to lose weight.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Depends on your goals. Is your goal body transformation or simply to lose fat? If its body transformation than I really think weight lifting is the best way for anyone to be lean and fit looking, couple that with a proper diet and some High interval cardio training (like sprinting, calisthenics), etc..you'll see a huge transformation in time.

I've seen this work a lot and I can tell you the difference between the Women that jog for an hour on the treadmill vs the women hitting the weights and the women hitting the weights to me look way better than those just on the treadmill, same for guys too. Look at a sprinter vs a marathon runner, the marathon runner looks almost sickly and the sprinter looks fit and healthy.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    There's nothing wrong with cardio. Exercise choices are personal, and if this is what works for you, go for it. Some people find it boring. Some people prefer weight training, exclusively.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Cardio = heart health
    Weight lifting + diet = body composition
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Cardio = heart health
    Weight lifting + diet = body composition

and combined they are magic!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    I read some posts and it seemed people were not too keen on cardio. Just wondering if it was something they did not enjoy or an issue when trying to lose weight. I just started my weight loss mission and going on the elyptical a few times a week was going to be my exercise of choice.

There's nothing wrong with cardio. I love cardio. Live for it. Endorphins high is free and wonderful.

Typically, based on what HR zone you are training in, you can bounce back from one day's effort and go at it gain day after day to burn the -CO portion of the CICO equation.

Your choice of the elliptical is fine. Running, cycling, swimming, hiking, power walking - it's all good to burn the calories. I managed to get 473 hours of it during 2015, 475 in 2014 and this year I'm upping it a bit (hope to get 500 hours or more).
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    If you find the right combo of exercises, you can get a mix of both, and that burns tons of calories and really slims you down. Kettlebells are great for this, for example. You're lifting/swinging heavy weight and working many different muscle groups which increases your heart rate.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Nothing wrong with it. Since you are on MyFitnessPal it might be safe to assume that you are trying to control your weight. Steady state cardio burns calories. Assuming that you don't use a tracker and eat your carbs back it will help you loose weight, but not keep it off. Adding muscle helps you burn calories constantly, not just while you are exercising so it helps you keep it off. But then you may have other goals. Runners run, lifters lift, throwers throw.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Nothing wrong with cardio. Just that weight lifting is superior in terms of calories burned. I do both cause I like running and lifting weights
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Other than being frequently known as boring... nothing.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Chiruadr wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with cardio. Just that weight lifting is superior in terms of calories burned. I do both cause I like running and lifting weights

You need to run faster if you think weight lifting is superior in terms of burning calories. ;-)

Take it up to HR Zone 4 with a few dabbles in HR Zone 5 for an hour and see what the burn is.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Other than being frequently known as boring... nothing.

Not boring to most of us....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLuqKNKOqs
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member

You need to run faster if you think weight lifting is superior in terms of burning calories. ;-)

Take it up to HR Zone 4 with a few dabbles in HR Zone 5 for an hour and see what the burn is.

Weight lifting (and I mean serious weight lifting not 20 reps stuff) is superior in terms of calories burned. You are thinking of calories burned through the duration of the exercise. A heavy lifting session will let your body in a recovery state and increased metabolism for around 2-3 days.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Nothing wrong with cardio. It gets you off the couch and gets your heart pumping. With an elliptical, I would be a little wary of the calorie burns the machine estimates. They are often wildly inaccurate, which will throw you off your goal for the day, especially if you're eating back your exercise calories. People tend to underestimate portions and overestimate exercise burns. Good luck!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Nothing but adding weight training can help more. Nice healthy mix
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Chiruadr wrote: »

What is HR Zone 4or 5???
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I think some people just don't like cardio. There is nothing wrong with it, its just personal preference.
    This possibly has a lot to do with how boring and monotonous it can be.
    There are so many ways to get in homecare. Trick is to find something that interests you.

I love walking in the countryside, I take my camera and look for interesting things to photograph.
    You could try taking a class: maybe zumba or street dance.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    There is nothing wrong with it and it is good for your health, heart and bone density. You should add in some strength training also.

Weight loss is down to eating less than you burn so you don't even have to do any to lose weight.

Agreed!
    I much prefer running to resistance training, but a good mix of both is ideal if you want to improve your overall fitness. Some people do not prioritise cardio because a) they don't like it or b) it doesn't further their goals. If you like the elliptical keep using it.