What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Using fake sugar in place of real sugar. Sticking with a routine meal plan. Same foods everyday. Making sure to work out five days a week. And not buying trigger foods that will cause me to binge and go over my calories a day or two.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water.
  • Vodka97
    Vodka97 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I'm between meals, and I've had a snack but I'm still hungry but don't really have the wiggle room to have more meals (and of course, drunk water), I like to chew gum!
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8VhdQQqVvc2w4gC-bYMWr0-6gKpQjgNqdo_0k97xe3LoVyaWFgA
    I wish!

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Truthful weighing and logging. These habits work for maintaining weight, too.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Low cal brekkie and lunch so when I am vulnerable (in the evenings) it is much more manageable!
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    - making solid nutritional decisions

- portion control/moderation

- regular exercise

Yes. Also:

Drink lots of water/stay well-hydrated
    Use a food scale
    Log accurately
    Eat only when hungry

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My best habit is reminding myself WHY I'm tracking my food and WHY I'm working out.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My best habit is reminding myself WHY I'm tracking my food and WHY I'm working out.

^ oh, this has to be added to my habit stash! Maybe a bold daily reminder of some sort is in order...
  • capturethememories
    Options

Love this!
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Yes, this, too! Very important!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Any more suggestions?
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    13suzie wrote: »
    So, I saw this great quote: "Motivation is what gets you going and habits are what keep you going."

What are your best habits that have helped you lose weight? I know that replacing the urge to eat with drinking tea at night is a good habit that helps me with unnecessary eating at night. I would love to know other people's weight loss habits that make the weight loss journey easier and successful.

Pre logging my day rather than logging what I ate after I ate it.
  • Rytic
    Rytic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Putting away the body weight scale, meal prep (pre-packing all my food to meet my calorie and macros). That was the two biggest things i did to change. Its all about consistency.
  • hufflepie
    hufflepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying a mocha every morning and started drinking the perfectly fine, free black coffee at work.

Shopping in the produce/meat/dairy aisles, and avoiding the middle of the store.

Planning your exercise, packing a bag the night before, or sleeping in your running clothes.

Figuring out the best way to achieve 10000 steps. For me, it was getting off the train early and walking 35 minutes to work, taking a 25 minute walk break during the day, and then walking the 35 minutes back to the stop I got off on.

Finding the right vocabulary. Instead of "soda", I think "poison water". At least I'm aware of what I'm doing if I decide to have one. :smile:
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Accepting I will never lose it as quickly as I gained it.

Never again slashing the remaining three tires just because one came off the foodwagon for whatever day.

Being as accurate as possible/honest with calorie logging and not manipulating it. Accepting what the number is without berating myself over it and moving on.

Eating whatever I want, just adhering to the portion size stated or calculated each time I eat it and shooting to remain within the daily caloric range I have set at the time.

Not being orthorexic.

Not having a problem drinking plain water. Although, it does have to be warm/hot these days for some reason unless the outdoors temperature is super hot. Weird.

Not eating fast food/out as a routine but as the occasional treat of stuff I do not/cannot cook myself.

Not trying to create habits (like exercising at [w] time [x] exercise for [y] minutes/hours [z] times a week) I know in my heart of hearts is not sustainable for me as I will not keep them up.

Having a monthly food budget that is nonnegotiable - that's all there is and when it's gone, it's gone, so plan accordingly.

Never ever becoming complacent about what I stuff into my pie hole again.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Before I eat a meal or snack, I make a conscious decision about what I'm going to eat and how much, I put it all on my plate, and I eat only that at that meal and stop. No seconds.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Being realistic in my goals and consistency.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately

I want to log accurately but on MFP when I type in something generic so many things come up I am not sure which is correct. For instance, I had a greek salad with grilled chicken from a diner. I dipped my fork in the dressing rather than pour it on so I didn't use that much. When I type it into MFP I get all these different entries from restaurants and food stores. I don't know which is most like a diner salad. Any suggestions?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Hfeff wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Using a food scale
    +logging accurately

I want to log accurately but on MFP when I type in something generic so many things come up I am not sure which is correct. For instance, I had a greek salad with grilled chicken from a diner. I dipped my fork in the dressing rather than pour it on so I didn't use that much. When I type it into MFP I get all these different entries from restaurants and food stores. I don't know which is most like a diner salad. Any suggestions?

If it's something you made yourself, grab a food scale and measure out all the ingredients and make a recipe on MFP for it. It's a little more time-consuming but worth it in the long run.