Protein Powders - To use or To not use

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    When I had a trainer protein powder was the one food he said that is unclean but he recommends. I put it in cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, shakes, oatmeal regular and overnight ,with milk or sometimes just water.

Idk what your protein goal is but I get 125 fairly easily without it.

I eat eggs, cheese, chicken, Greek yogurt, milk and cottage cheese almost everyday. I used to eat fish, pork and egg whites a lot more. If you like soy, tempah is pretty high in protein as well. I think beans are too...I'm just really picky about my beans. Just make it your focus each meal and it's easier then it seems.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oh and some protein powders have a lot of sugar,so if your watching for that sort of thing, check the labels before buying. I get body fortress from walmart. Under 20bucks, low sugar and not bad tasting.

ETA a friend of mine buys unflavored protein powder and adds it to coffee, oj, her dinners. Anything. So there's all kinds if uses for it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer protein powder was the one food he said that is unclean but he recommends. I put it in cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, shakes, oatmeal regular and overnight ,with milk or sometimes just water.

I eat eggs, cheese, chicken, Greek yogurt, milk and cottage cheese almost everyday. I used to eat fish, pork and egg whites a lot more. If you like soy, tempah is pretty high in protein as well. I think beans are too...I'm just really picky about my beans. Just make it your focus each meal and it's easier then it seems.

How do you know how much protein you need?

I ended up buying some strawberry protein powder that's low sugar and low in carbs to add to smoothies since I am getting a Nutribullet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I ended up buying some strawberry protein powder that's low sugar and low in carbs to add to smoothies since I am getting a Nutribullet.

Here's a great, informative thread that tells you all you need in the first post: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Colorscheme
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Here's a great, informative thread that tells you all you need in the first post: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Thanks. According to the .36x bodyweight formula, fifty grams of protein seems to be enough for me even though I'd say I'm fairly active. I mean, I'm a stay at home mom but I average 12-16k steps a day with my fitbit. Unless I am missing something and I actually need more.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Thanks. According to the .36x bodyweight formula, fifty grams of protein seems to be enough for me even though I'd say I'm fairly active. I mean, I'm a stay at home mom but I average 12-16k steps a day with my fitbit. Unless I am missing something and I actually need more.

Where in that post did you see .36x bodyweight for protein?
    We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

At a very low body fat percentage or with highly intensive workouts a slightly higher amount of protein is recommended.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I used trial and error. 40% protein seems to be my magic feel good number. Id have a hard time getting g the 153 for the .9 per lb of LBM that I'm supposed to do. I could do it, but I'd never eat another carb and I sdo like a few
  • Colorscheme
    edited December 2015
    Options

Where in that post did you see .36x bodyweight for protein?
    We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

At a very low body fat percentage or with highly intensive workouts a slightly higher amount of protein is recommended.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

I might have miscalculated. I don't know how much lean body mass I have so I just did .36 x my current body weight, but that could be wrong. I got a figure of about 57 grams of protein per day, so maybe I do need slightly more. And I got that figure from some online calculator.

The US Department of Agriculture recommends that all men and women over the age of 19 should get at least 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (or 0.37 grams per pound). That means a woman who is 130 pounds should get at least 48 grams of protein, which could look like 7 ounces of salmon or 7 eggs.

.37 x 158 lbs = 58.46
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein nearly every morning. I go to work really early so I like that it's quick, easy, tastes good, and helps me get in all my protein for the day. Everyone has their personal preference but I always get the chocolate Pure Protein powder. It's $18 at Walmart and if I remember right you get like 21 or 22 servings from it. I like to mix it with almond milk.
  • ellynkhoney
    ellynkhoney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a superfoods protein powder in my Nutribullet smoothies occasionally, my husband takes 6 tablets of Sprulina a day, this helps gives your body the protein you needs while trying to lose weight not muscle.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to start having a 110 calorie quest protein chocolate powder shake every AM for bfast. Does anyone have good results with mixing that powder just with water?
  • Rottiegrrrl
    Rottiegrrrl Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am not sure if another poster has already stated so I apologize. Human body can only digest between 8-12 grams of protein per hour (roughly). So a 30g protein scoop is not all being absorbed in shake. In fact liquid protein will be through body's system in about an hour so, 15 g is waste. Unless you take a digestive enzyme supplement right before shake. Then your body will absorb protein more efficiently.

You are better off eating your protein; longer in digestive system so more is absorbed in body.
    That being said, I have 1-2 shakes a day with enzymes. One for breakfast and one post workout (if I've lifted weights). It helps me to not be starving while preparing dinner and feeding family.

I like a basic whey protein in chocolate which I blend with frozen banana and skim milk. Or vanilla with orange juice, frozen fruit.

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting my protein goal so I try to have a shake a day. I have yet to find a brand I love, though.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein. It makes a convenient breakfast with the amount of protein I'm supposed to get (dealing with health conditions) and I use EAS which is one of the more reasonably priced ones. I also like to use cold coffee rather than water as the liquid. An added packet of sweetener helps. If I get their Lean 15 then I don't have to add teh sweetener. But the other kind is cheaper. If I had any calories to spare I would use milk rather than water or coffee, but I can't get away with that so I deal. I tried the cheap drugstore brand once and it was so gross I had to throw it out. All in all EAS lean 15 tastes best to me but EAS whey protein is better value for the money so which one I get just depends on whether I have the money or not at the time. Other ways to get more protein can be hard boiled eggs and such... I just don't like eating things first thing in the morning and would rather chug down the shake; your mileage may vary.
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    I put a scoop in my coffee every morning. It works for me.

:open_mouth: Genius
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with my cottage cheese. I'm forcing myself to finish myproteins Apple custard at the moment. The best tasting I've had are Vega plant and Quest strawberry- lol I have a sample of their peanut butter that I haven't used because of how much I enjoy strawberry. Even on black friday, I couldn't justify buying a tub for the price.
  • jakehope87
    jakehope87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comment above, work out your macros and what you should be hitting. I use a few supps just as in my job I haven't got the time to keep eating every few hours etc, if you can hit your daily nutrition through eating the right stuff, well done! But if you can't it's a best way to help you achieve what you need. To be fair if you're going to be lifting and actually going to take it seriously, I would suggest you get a shake to have post workout at least..
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I like them for when the family is eating something that is not healthy. This morning I had one for breakfast/lunch it's 45 g of protein total. I combined protein powder with protein power yogurt to get to that number. It sucks some days that I just want to eat a big meal but sacrifice is a good practice.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    All of this has been extremely helpful and I appreciate everyone chiming in and sharing.. I am averaging about 80g of protein a day and felt I should be getting more.. say some where closer to 100 to 120.. and while I am not lifting as of yet to build my strength I want to seriously make it easier for my body to burn fat and not burn off muscle mass so I have been looking at different options for protein.. maybe now that its after the first of the year I can really do some major research and find a few options when it comes to the powders and give them a try and see what I like and see how it works out for helping me with my goals...

I love the idea of using them in Greek yogurt as well as in oatmeal or even by themselves as a quick shake... Thanks everyone who has participated and been a part of all of this.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Anyone have luck mixing their powder with just water for a shake?