Protein Powders - To use or To not use

Options
1235»

Replies

• DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump ... looking for more input... and thanks for those of you who have already been a part of this... getting closer to making that choice and coming up with ways to use it effectively in the weight loss...
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did A LOT of research on protein powders during my last weight loss journey and I came to the conclusion that the best protein powder money could buy was a brand called Jay Robb's. No sugar, sweetened by stevia, no fillers, high quality whey isolate protein from cows not treated with hormones and antibiotics etc.

Here's the catch: They know it's one of the best on the market and price it accordingly. It is quite a bit more expensive than other protein powders you might find in walmart etc. However, I used it daily and lost 110 pounds and kept a lot of my muscle mass.
  • DBrooks1979
    Options
    kaosvarkas wrote: »
    I did A LOT of research on protein powders during my last weight loss journey and I came to the conclusion that the best protein powder money could buy was a brand called Jay Robb's. No sugar, sweetened by stevia, no fillers, high quality whey isolate protein from cows not treated with hormones and antibiotics etc.

Here's the catch: They know it's one of the best on the market and price it accordingly. It is quite a bit more expensive than other protein powders you might find in walmart etc. However, I used it daily and lost 110 pounds and kept a lot of my muscle mass.

Thanks for this info.. I will have to see if I can find this brand and see how much the cost is as well as the flavors offered before making a purchase...

I have several local locations to get some from so I am trying to find out as much about what people use and recommend from having used it before I go and make a huge purchase like that and then come to find out, I don't like it or there are issues with it.

Really wish I knew some place that sold sample bags to take home and try so you could find out which ones you really like.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if another poster has already stated so I apologize. Human body can only digest between 8-12 grams of protein per hour (roughly). So a 30g protein scoop is not all being absorbed in shake. In fact liquid protein will be through body's system in about an hour so, 15 g is waste. Unless you take a digestive enzyme supplement right before shake. Then your body will absorb protein more efficiently.

You are better off eating your protein; longer in digestive system so more is absorbed in body.
    That being said, I have 1-2 shakes a day with enzymes. One for breakfast and one post workout (if I've lifted weights). It helps me to not be starving while preparing dinner and feeding family.

I like a basic whey protein in chocolate which I blend with frozen banana and skim milk. Or vanilla with orange juice, frozen fruit.

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

I'm trying not to be snarky, but did you completely read the article you linked? Your body may absorb protein over time, but that doesn't mean you can't consume several hours' worth of protein in one sitting. From the article you linked:

In a study done on women, consumption of more than 54g of protein in a single meal versus across four meals resulted in no differences.[25] As these women had on average 90 lb of lean mass, it is highly plausible that more protein could be efficiently processed. The same researchers found that a single high protein meal was actually more effective in a population of elderly women.[26]
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Protein powder is just a food like anything else. It's not something super duper special.

If you aren't hitting your protein goal through things like meat, fish, yogurt, other dairy products, nuts, seeds, legumes, etc. Then i see no reason why taking a scoop or two of protein powder would be an issue.

By all means, increase the other sources of protein in your diet. But if you find yourself struggling to eat what you want and enjoy while hitting your calories and protein, just take a protein powder. It's quick, easy, tastes pretty good, and is usually low in calories.

Agreed.

Whey protein is perhaps the most popular bodybuilding and fitness supplement out there, and it's a great way to streamline your diet and make it easier to hit your overall daily protein needs.

However, many people shy away from protein powders under the assumption that consuming "real food" is superior in some way and that whey is somehow "unnatural".

What most people don't realize is that whey protein is actually a completely natural source of protein and is simply a component of dairy that is extracted during the process of turning milk into cheese.

Whey is just as much "real food" as is chicken breast, fish or steak. So, trying to compare "whey protein vs. food" or "protein powder vs. natural protein" really doesn't make any sense in the first place.

This is why I don't even consider whey protein to be a "supplement" at all. Really, it's just a convenient food product that is purchased in powdered form.

The only real difference between protein shakes vs whole food is that shakes are far more convenient and are much easier to prepare. While protein powder is not mandatory to include in your program, its liquid form does make it a lot easier for you to hit your daily protein needs. For example, it's a lot easier to have 3 whole food meals and 2 shakes as opposed to 5 whole food meals only.
  • DBrooks1979
    Options
    Well since my last post.. I have now tried 3 different brands and a few different flavors over the 3 brands... I have tried the Slim Fast Advanced Protein Shake with 20g of Protein -- and I have liked that one. I have tried the Special K Protein shake -- Again I have like that one as well and the third one I tried is the Pure Protein Premixed drinks in a Can... not as pleased with those... almost have a horrible after taste... gonna figure out which one is best and keep trying...

I know people here say get your Protein from food.. well I want to .. but the choices to get it from are not always working out..

So I am trying to find a low calorie alternative to try and help with achieving getting the needed protein for my diet to help my body not lose muscle while still losing weight.

Again look forward to hearing more input and advice and people's recommendations on type used, how used, and the taste as success of using it..

Thanks
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like a protein shake for an on the go breakfast. And my daughters who are distance runners like one for a recovery treat. We use vega one & add frozen fruit, power greens and Greek yogurt.
  • DBrooks1979
    Options
    Thanks Scolaris for this info.... I will have to look into Vega one and see what they offer...
  • DBrooks1979
    Options
    Last night my wife and I discovered Peanut Butter and Banana and no sugar added Ice cream added together makes a great treat.. and I thought that maybe I could thin this down and actually make it into a protein shake for breakfast or for a late night ending treat.... Uses PB2, Medium Banana, and No Sugar Added Ice cream...

Melted the ice cream just a little and mix in the PB2 and Stir..then mash the banana and add to the mixture and refreeze... Serve Frozen or slightly defrosted as a great treat... Just looking into ways to get more protein into the diet and protein powders that would make could meal supplements or additives to a meal to make it so that I am getting more protein into my diet...

Thanks again for everyone's input and would certain look for more ways and ideas as well as again brands people recommend and how you all prepare them.

Thanks
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if another poster has already stated so I apologize. Human body can only digest between 8-12 grams of protein per hour (roughly). So a 30g protein scoop is not all being absorbed in shake. In fact liquid protein will be through body's system in about an hour so, 15 g is waste. Unless you take a digestive enzyme supplement right before shake. Then your body will absorb protein more efficiently.

You are better off eating your protein; longer in digestive system so more is absorbed in body.
    That being said, I have 1-2 shakes a day with enzymes. One for breakfast and one post workout (if I've lifted weights). It helps me to not be starving while preparing dinner and feeding family.

I like a basic whey protein in chocolate which I blend with frozen banana and skim milk. Or vanilla with orange juice, frozen fruit.

https://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

Did you even read the link you posted?

Due to this high demand, the small intestines are able to absorb and hold onto a large amount of amino acids; waiting to release them until the body needs them, and can recycle some amino acids.[15]

you can consume a fair amount per sitting as the gut will tend to slow down absorption and feast happily on the amino acids.

In a study done on women, consumption of more than 54g of protein in a single meal versus across four meals resulted in no differences.[25] As these women had on average 90 lb of lean mass, it is highly plausible that more protein could be efficiently processed. The same researchers found that a single high protein meal was actually more effective in a population of elderly women.[26]

• amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nikkei74 wrote: »
    What I like about it is convenience. What I don't like is the taste or texture. I've tried multiple brands, flavours and types - whey, soy, pea, hemp - and have never found an enjoyable one. In my experience the pea and hemp ones are gritty, and all of them are ridiculously sweet. If anyone can recommend one that's unsweetened and is available in Australia, I'd love to hear it.

I don't know if you can find this one in AU, but I use this one. It's unflavored and unsweetened. I mix it with powdered peanut butter (PB2), some sugar-free chocolate syrup and ice for a morning smoothie on the way to work. I have MEGA texture issues and this is not gritty or chalky or funky at all. Has a smidge of an aftertaste, but all proteins do, I think. I can chug the whole thing, or sip it.

• DBrooks1979
    Options
    Well so far I have purchased one container of Whey Protein Powder to make some breakfast shakes and occasionally shakes at other times as well .. its a generic brand stocked at Wal-greens and so far I have found it delicious and will more than likely make another purchase of the same powder although I would love to find some other flavors besides Vanilla to try... also picked up a Super Shake and have only used it once.. and it was fairly good... will continue to see what I can try and find and see how it affects things for my diet...