Need low carb friends who want to lose 100+ lbs :)

Options
I'm pretty new to low carb and it'd be cool to have other people who follow the same WOE!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily subgroup. There are many members who have lost, or are losing, significant amounts of weight. Plus they are a very friendly and helpful bunch. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • amberforsgren
    amberforsgren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the Keto diet (low carb high fat) and need to lose 100+ lbs for sure!!!
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Besides LCD group there is a keto group too. Many keto'ers are in both. Good luck. :)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you? some people think keeping it between 50 to 100 is low, where others do 30 and below. Mine are all over the place but I do like to try to keep them at 100 or below
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How low carb are you? some people think keeping it between 50 to 100 is low, where others do 30 and below. Mine are all over the place but I do like to try to keep them at 100 or below

Me? I am very low carb. I eat a ketogenic diet, I try to keep my carbs at about 20g. I just feel good there and seem to have the best blood glucose and weight loss rate at around that level.

The LCD group has people mainly under 100-150g but some go higher especially if the carbs are consumed around exercise. Whatever carb level works best for you is the best level of carb :)
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Have always watched my carbs and sugars while dieting. I also have over 100 lbs to lose.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am a LCHF one .... I belong to the group mentioned above ..I would strongly encourage you to join ....Great bunch of people with lots of knowledge ....Wishing you much success ..Feel free to add me :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The LCD group has people mainly under 100-150g but some go higher especially if the carbs are consumed around exercise.

When I was there at least 80% of the posts were from the keto people. Technically, yes, the group defines low carb as at or under 150. But the culture there is overwhelmingly keto.

I think keto'ers are the most active there, but i am not sure if they are the majority. A keto post on the main boards doesn't go over that well....
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LOL at first I thought you typed crabby. Oops. :D
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lol me too.
  • Fat2FitMD
    Fat2FitMD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I will be starting my LCHF way of eating on Monday, Jan 4th. I just went grocery shopping today. I have my menus planned out and will have about 20 grams of carbs per day and moderate protein. I definitely need to lose over half my body weight to get to a healthy weight. I weight ABOUT 310 and should ideally weight between 120-135. All of that is secondary to me though. I just want to improve my health, get off my blood pressure meds, and be a positive example for my future patients after medical school is over. I'm only 5 feet 3 inches tall. I'm tired of the fatigue and feeling bad about myself. I'll definitely need the support and encouragement.
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fat2FitMD wrote: »
    Hi. I will be starting my LCHF way of eating on Monday, Jan 4th. I just went grocery shopping today. I have my menus planned out and will have about 20 grams of carbs per day and moderate protein. I definitely need to lose over half my body weight to get to a healthy weight. I weight ABOUT 310 and should ideally weight between 120-135. All of that is secondary to me though. I just want to improve my health, get off my blood pressure meds, and be a positive example for my future patients after medical school is over. I'm only 5 feet 3 inches tall. I'm tired of the fatigue and feeling bad about myself. I'll definitely need the support and encouragement.

Good luck. :). If you are cutting your carbs that low you may want to increase sodium to 3000-5000mg per day. Because of water weight lost through a low carb diet, your electrolytes might get low which can cause fatigue, headaches, and soreness. Sometimes it is called the keto flu but it is just an electrolyte imbalance. Extra salt on your food, a daily cup of broth, and maybe a bit of extra magnesium and potassium will help prevent that.

I know it sounds like a lot, but extra salt can really help... Being in med school, you probably already know about that. :)
  • Ebuka95
    Ebuka95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    College kid here....Been on a low carb diet for about 4 months now, and lost almost 40lbs. Hoping to continue this year if classes don't get me depressed and fat :( add me anyone
  • romeoandzeus
    romeoandzeus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi…
    Just got back on the keto wagon after my second pregnancy and a 6 month "comfort" period. I lost about 25 pounds back when I followed a keto diet, but stalled for months and got discouraged. Looking for some support from other LCHF dieters. Veterans or newbies :)
  • betullowcarb
    betullowcarb Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

20! I tried 50 but it really didn't do anything
  • betullowcarb
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try the Low Carber Daily subgroup. There are many members who have lost, or are losing, significant amounts of weight. Plus they are a very friendly and helpful bunch. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you!! I joined :)
  • betullowcarb
    Options
    Ebuka95 wrote: »
    College kid here....Been on a low carb diet for about 4 months now, and lost almost 40lbs. Hoping to continue this year if classes don't get me depressed and fat :( add me anyone

Same here.. And everyone at school keeps eating loads of carbs and sugar which makes it a 100 times harder to do this :(
  • betullowcarb
    Options
    Fat2FitMD wrote: »

Good luck! You can do this, we all can. We should keep each other motivated on here!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @betullowcarb I'm 3 weeks into my second foray into LCHF and also have 100+ lbs to lose, plus plenty of health issues to clear up. Please feel free to add me! I just joined the LCD group too, they have some great threads going.
  • maryoe123
    maryoe123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Low Carb seems a very effective way to go, however, I can't because am a living kidney donor so I have to be a bit more conservative with my approach. I am still trying to keep below 60, but have just started so I am not sure how that will work. I live with my daughter who does low carb.