What are your bulking plans?

Options
Currently been bulking for almost 4 months. Think I'm going to go til early or mid April, then start a cut for summer. Proats to 180-190! Currently sitting around 170. Excited to see the gains made after the cut! Running a strength program right now, and lifts have been increasing! Probably run this for 2 more months, then do a 8 week hypertrophy or hypertrophy/ strength program for the last 2 months of my bulk, then I'll decide what I want to run during my cut when it comes around(: what's everyone else's plan?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I don't want to cut next summer so I'll be doing a slow bulk, ~1 pound a month for the next 14-16 months. Full body DUP programming 3x week.
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm at 187.5lbs I wanna be at a weight of 195lbs so bulking up and getting stronger in the process. Also about 1lb a month, not looking to gain bad weight.
  • ServeJesus2008
    ServeJesus2008 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Im at 166 been bulking about a month now trying to get to 170-180 to gain muscle mass and strengthening and results are slowly showing
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This is my first bulk. I hate to put a timeline on it but I'm only 10 weeks in and getting antsy. For now I'm going to say bulk through March, April if I can really muster up the courage. I already feel large and in charge. I really hope I can stick it out all the way out.
  • RobotPhysique
    RobotPhysique Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Think I'm going to go til early or mid April, then start a cut for summer.
    ^ this. $.

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Currently ~155lbs, building up slowly from a small deficit (2200) adding 150 cals a day each week until I get to a small surplus (~2800) Not going straight into a surplus now so that I can minimise the water/food weight you gain at the start. I also have a powerlifting comp in just over 4 weeks where my weight limit is 72kg (158.7) so I don't want to risk being over that.

Afterwards, I'll be continuing the surplus ideally until October, but it depends how I feel and how fast the weight gain is. I'd rather it be slow, so that I can build a decent amount of muscle and strength while minimising the fat gains. I might do a mini cut May-June time depending on how I feel.
  • Ttlklutz
    Ttlklutz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is my first bulk! I am 6 weeks in so far. I plan to bulk until the start of March and then cut until Summer. I am still sitting above 20% body fat so I have a ways to go to lean out. I don't think I am even at a surplus yet for calories. My intake is at 1700, I am making strides in the gym so I am just taking it slow. I want to put on as little fat as possible. I don't have a set amount of weight I am trying to gain at this point, just working towards the goal look. I also want to try crossfit...as soon as I can afford it lol.
  • RobotPhysique
    Options
    Ttlklutz wrote: »
    I don't think I am even at a surplus yet for calories.
    If you're truly seeking to add muscle mass, don't be afraid of a little surplus. Glad to hear you're making progress in the gym, but hovering around maintenance in an attempt to 'bulk' can leave you spinning your wheels and ultimately hurt your motivation due to lackluster results. Accepting the inevitable fat gain will ensure you're getting the most bang for your buck. Good luck with your goals.

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get to an uncomfortable point in my bulk, mentally. I've gained 10lbs in 4 months, and plan another 5lbs by the end of Feb...body fat went from ~17% to ~19.5% (calipers) I think that puts me at about 4lbs muscle gain so far, but I feel jiggly, so maybe that's a bit optimistic...

I'm running StrongLifts, but throwing in some extra glute work after reading Strong Curves.

I want to give myself enough time to ease into cutting and be bikini ready by July...I miss my abs :neutral:
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    I'm starting to get to an uncomfortable point in my bulk, mentally. I've gained 10lbs in 4 months, and plan another 5lbs by the end of Feb...body fat went from ~17% to ~19.5% (calipers) I think that puts me at about 4lbs muscle gain so far, but I feel jiggly, so maybe that's a bit optimistic...

I'm running StrongLifts, but throwing in some extra glute work after reading Strong Curves.

I want to give myself enough time to ease into cutting and be bikini ready by July...I miss my abs :neutral:

Why don't you just scale back the calories a little? 10lbs in 4 months isn't bad for a lean bulk, but does have the possibility of being a little lower, especially if you think 6 of them are from fat gain. What's your surplus at?
  • Ttlklutz
    Options
    I don't think I am even at a surplus yet for calories.
    If you're truly seeking to add muscle mass, don't be afraid of a little surplus. Glad to hear you're making progress in the gym, but hovering around maintenance in an attempt to 'bulk' can leave you spinning your wheels and ultimately hurt your motivation due to lackluster results. Accepting the inevitable fat gain will ensure you're getting the most bang for your buck. Good luck with your goals.

I am working my way up, I have been upping my calories 100 per week. I started at 1200 so I initially gave my body time to adjust. My older brother acts as my trainer, he's trying to see how my body will respond to each increase. Weigh in is today, hopefully another calorie increase will come with it :D
  • RobotPhysique
    Options
    @Ttlklutz Perfect... Sounds like you have a solid plan and good help. Adding some next week myself!
  • Ttlklutz
    Options
    @RobotPhysique It looks like I went to hard for Christmas, I had a 2 day Christmas binge and gained 7 pounds, I didn't even know that was possible. WOOPS! Fighting insecurities now haha. What are your goals?
  • arditarose
    Options
    @RobotPhysique It looks like I went to hard for Christmas, I had a 2 day Christmas binge and gained 7 pounds, I didn't even know that was possible. WOOPS! Fighting insecurities now haha. What are your goals?

This happened to me too. You know some of that is water.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat all the things till April.
    Smash the f*c& out of my powerlifting meet then cut like crazy till September!

That's mai plan.
  • Ttlklutz
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes and no. I know that is true but my brain has not been accepting that today. Mentally I'm taking it a little rough. After coming off a year of weight loss this is a hard pill to swallow. I know it's just part of the process though.

• RobotPhysique
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yeah dude don't stress it... just hashtag all your pictures #gainz for a couple days--that makes everything okay. But no really, I totally understand. I spent pretty much all of 2015 on a perma-cut, which come to find out isn't the greatest thing for you. After a while your you'll end up sabotaging yourself by gimping your metabolism. I did have a hard time coming to grips with the inevitable fat gain that comes with bulking, but after a few weeks convinced myself that a surplus is healthy and necessary after such a long cut. This was 2015 for me, Jan-Dec
    3t5z9qslc8ks.jpg
    Going to bulk for the remainder of my deployment, then cut ~8 weeks.
  • RobotPhysique
    Options
    After a while your you'll end up
    *Sigh*

• Ttlklutz
    Options
    Yeah dude don't stress it... just hashtag all your pictures #gainz for a couple days--that makes everything okay. But no really, I totally understand. I spent pretty much all of 2015 on a perma-cut, which come to find out isn't the greatest thing for you. After a while your you'll end up sabotaging yourself by gimping your metabolism. I did have a hard time coming to grips with the inevitable fat gain that comes with bulking, but after a few weeks convinced myself that a surplus is healthy and necessary after such a long cut. This was 2015 for me, Jan-Dec
    3t5z9qslc8ks.jpg
    Going to bulk for the remainder of my deployment, then cut ~8 weeks.

Hahaha. Making strides with my gains. My brother keeps making jokes that he hopes he can make these type of gains. I am excited to cut, I've never been lean in my life. Man, you did something right though, those results don't lie. Now you know for next time, lesson learned. Cutting for that long doesn't sound like any fun anyhow, but I love to eat so maybe that's just me :P I would post my starting to now pictures but I am not that brave.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes and no. I know that is true but my brain has not been accepting that today. Mentally I'm taking it a little rough. After coming off a year of weight loss this is a hard pill to swallow. I know it's just part of the process though.

I get that but at 1700...what is your TDEE?