Sharing: Frozen Meals That Don't Suck

Frozen dinners aren't ideal and surely get old, but sometimes you just need to eat something right now.

I like two of the Healthy Choice Steamers - Beef Merlot and Beef Teriyaki. I find the others too sweet personally.

So far the entrees from Blake's that I have tried are yummy. The portions are small and they aren't as cheap as others, but they seem like real food. I usually add a side of frozen veg to make it more satisfying without increasing the calories all that much.

What do you like? Or on the flip side, what do you avoid?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I've been getting into Stouffer's Fit Kitchen meals. I'm really liking them. I had the Steak Fajita and Monterey Bbq Chicken and they were both good. The Bourbon Steak one didn't really do anything for me. I didn't hate it, but I'm not in love with it.

http://www.stouffers.com/fitkitchen
  • abertrand87
    abertrand87 Posts: 36 Member
    I personally like the Healthy Choice Steamers grilled balsamic chicken and noodles and the grilled chicken marinara ones. I also buy Smart Ones (three cheese ziti and Creamy Rigatoni with Broccoli & Chicken).

those ones keep me the fullest. I definitely don't get lean cuisine because i'm just too hungry after them.
    they are usually my lunches so I can have a more calorie dense supper that I cook for supper for my kids/husband.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like the Amy's frozen dinners I've tried...enchiladas and some Indian food
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2016
    *Double post.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    I like Saffron Road's Beef Bulgogi and Chicken Biriyani.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Aldi makes a frozen pizza called Specially Selected Mozzarella, Cherry Tomato & Arugula - it's fairly small, 1/4 pizza = 280 calories. Delicious. Crunchy crust.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    If your in the uk some of the slimming world frozen meals are really nice. They are also nice and filling unlike some of the other 'diet' meals. Only complaint is they seem to have changed the recepie on the prawn noodle one and it's not so nice anymore :(
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    If I buy a frozen dinner to tide me over for a night or two between the end of one batch cookery and the whatever next I make, it's a Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmesan:

http://www.michaelangelos.com/product.php?productID=6

Either eat a whole serving as a standalone meal or eat half a serving with sides.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    we keep a few healthy choice 'simply' cafe steamers stocked in freezer. my hubby really likes the meatball marina for work lunches the most, its under 300 calories. i like the grilled chicken & broccolli alfredo the most, its under 200 calories.
    these are the two we always have on hand for lunches or a quick small meal. am not personally a boxed frozen meal person but, these taste pretty good to me.

i like the schwan's livesmart roasted turkey & vegetable frozen meal the best though, under 250 calories. more food than the cafe steamers but, still a small meal and it fills me up. their frozen livesmart meals however may be healthy & usually tasty but, they are a bit pricey at $4.50-$5.50 IMO!

don't recall seeing blake frozen meal, will keep an eye out for it, hubby would probably like the beef merlot.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    If I buy a frozen dinner to tide me over for a night or two between the end of one batch cookery and the whatever next I make, it's a Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmesan:

http://www.michaelangelos.com/product.php?productID=6

Either eat a whole serving as a standalone meal or eat half a serving with sides.

That one is pretty good. I do like the healthy choice beef merlot that was mentioned.

I often have a Marie Calendar meal for lunch, slow roasted beef, beef pot roast, or steak & roasted potatoes. All of which are 350 calories or less, taste good, and are very filling.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Agree with pp, Amy's kitchen. Sweet earth also makes great burritos.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    My two Lean Cuisine favs: five cheese rigatoni and the vermont cheddar mac and cheese. Sooo good.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    I like the Kashi entrees. I've only had the vegan ones so I don't know how the ones with chicken are. The Mayan Harvest Bake is my favorite.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I've been getting into Stouffer's Fit Kitchen meals. I'm really liking them. I had the Steak Fajita and Monterey Bbq Chicken and they were both good. The Bourbon Steak one didn't really do anything for me. I didn't hate it, but I'm not in love with it.

http://www.stouffers.com/fitkitchen

I saw these at the store today, but still haven't tried them. I will next time. Frozen meals are just convenient for work.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Stouffers mac & cheese! There are stverdl lean cuisine I like too!
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    The quorn ready meals are ok, they are in both the chilled and freezer sections of the supermarket. A little bland but they've saved me when I didn't have anything for a night shift.

The weight watchers mac & cheese was ok as well.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I've become addicted to Amy's cheese enchiladas. It isn't very big and isn't exactly cheap, but it tastes amazing. I love Mexican food so this gives me a great fix, and I can log the calories.

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Could you not make too much of something you cook yourself and freeze it for another day?
  • Tigerlily2u
    Tigerlily2u Posts: 8 Member
    Here are my fav frozen meal brands...Blake's, Luvo and Evol. I find then at SuperTarget! Flavorful food under 300 calories!
  • PhoebeJeebies
    PhoebeJeebies Posts: 15 Member
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Could you not make too much of something you cook yourself and freeze it for another day?
    Exactly....I can't stomach frozen dinners...they're unsatisfying and part of what made me gain so much weight in the first place.
    One of the tricks I've done (besides the above) is make bean and cheese burritos...take whole wheat tortillas, fill with refried beans and cheese, roll and wrap in plastic, then freeze.