Under in calories, but feeling "fatter"....

Options
I could use some help, once again!! :embarassed:

I have stayed on track with my calories, and have been mixing up my exercising and doing it every day. The last few days MFP has said I have been eating too FEW calories, which surprises me because my belly seems MORE bloated than usual and I feel like I've gained weight. :cry:
I exercise every single day, I never just sit around. I never eat over my calories either. So, what am I doing wrong? Is it in my head that my belly looks fatter? It's not that TOM so that's not it either. I'm tired of having "fat" days, and I don't understand what else I can do to help along my weight loss journey....... I'm just discouraged. Any ideas on what I should or could do??? Thanks!!!

Replies

• wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    have you taken measurements? Best place for me to start :) good luck
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It could be what you're eating. I tend to bloat a little after drinking milk, but it levels out after the day.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I could use some help, once again!! :embarassed:

I have stayed on track with my calories, and have been mixing up my exercising and doing it every day. The last few days MFP has said I have been eating too FEW calories, which surprises me because my belly seems MORE bloated than usual and I feel like I've gained weight. :cry:
    I exercise every single day, I never just sit around. I never eat over my calories either. So, what am I doing wrong? Is it in my head that my belly looks fatter? It's not that TOM so that's not it either. I'm tired of having "fat" days, and I don't understand what else I can do to help along my weight loss journey....... I'm just discouraged. Any ideas on what I should or could do??? Thanks!!!

How can we even tell you if we can't see your diary. I'd assume you're eating a lot of carbs. Keep in mind that weightloss is not a "straight path" sometimes you will be up, some days you will be down. The point is how much you have lost in the long run. You lost 21lbs from the day you started, so that's good. Weight can fluctuate by 5lbs daily.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    if it's sodium, try straight lemon juice. Might be too much fiber, not enough water to balance it. Might be gluten intolerant.
    Fat days don't end. I feel like I've swallowed a balloon some days. Just how it is :)
  • dbzs
    dbzs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you take in too few calories you're body will start to store fat because it thinks you're starving. Don't get too extreme on the diet. Keep up the exercise, and make sure you're lifting weights. Lean muscle mass is what burns calories and increases your resting metabolism. Hang in there!
  • dmitche3
    dmitche3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Muscles weight more than fat so right now because u are toning muscles it seems that way then all of a sudden u will see a big drop i have the same issue but i stay movitated cause i know it's going to start to show.
  • mary4760
    mary4760 Posts: 3
    Options
    You know...this is crazy but its very true. Eating too few calories (under 1200) will make it hard to lose. Our bodies are kinda funny. If we arent getting enough cals our body will go into what is called "starvation mode" and our bodies natural response is, "Yikes, i'm gonna hold onto these fat cells because I don't know if I'm going to be fed." Getting enough calories keeps our metabolism burning, and if we arent getting enough (at the very LEAST 1200/day) our metabolism slows way down, making it hard to lose weight. So, to sum it up...if we eat too much we won't lose weight, and if we eat too little we won't lose weight. I can't stress this enough: water, water, water!! it helps flush your body of impurities. I hope this helps, and good luck!! Feel free to add me as a friend...I need all the encouragement I can get!!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that often until I found this site and adjusted my settings here to track my sodium intake. One day I had almost 5,000 mg of sodium!! So I watch that now, and don't feel bloated.

As for exercise, I seem to lose more when I exercise LESS. Then again, if you reduce the sodium and still exercise daily you might actually feel like eating more.

As for "muscle weighs more than fat," I really wish people would stop saying that. One pound of muscle = 1 pound, and 1 pound of fat = 1 pound. You might gain a little bit when you first start exercising, or when you do a new exercise, because there are enzymatic changes in your muscles that make them hold on to water more. That won't last long though.

Good luck!
  • registers
    Options
    You know...this is crazy but its very true. Eating too few calories (under 1200) will make it hard to lose. Our bodies are kinda funny. If we arent getting enough cals our body will go into what is called "starvation mode" and our bodies natural response is, "Yikes, i'm gonna hold onto these fat cells because I don't know if I'm going to be fed." Getting enough calories keeps our metabolism burning, and if we arent getting enough (at the very LEAST 1200/day) our metabolism slows way down, making it hard to lose weight. So, to sum it up...if we eat too much we won't lose weight, and if we eat too little we won't lose weight. I can't stress this enough: water, water, water!! it helps flush your body of impurities. I hope this helps, and good luck!! Feel free to add me as a friend...I need all the encouragement I can get!!

Sorry to say but this is highly inaccurate. If a woman who is 4'10" who weighs 110lbs would she be in starvation mode if she ate 1200 calories a day? NO. Is it true that eating less slows down metabolism? Yes, but there is a catch. It will slow down "IF YOU DONT EXERCISE" Exercising keeps your metabolism up so it won't slow down. How you think gastric bypass works, those people eat about 500-1000 calories a day, and they lose a ton of weight.

I noticed you just joined the site, sorry if I sounded rude that's not my intention. Welcome to the site, and good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Are you snacking on fresh veggies? I get into that habit this time of year. Celery, cucumbers, radishes, and carrots... the extra fiber makes me a bit bloated, but the source is good. Just don't overdo it.
    As for "muscle weighs more than fat," I really wish people would stop saying that. One pound of muscle = 1 pound, and 1 pound of fat = 1 pound.

Well, duh... a pound of feathers and a pound of bricks way the same, but thats not what is being discussed with that statement. One cubic centimeter of muscle weighs more than one cubic centimeter of fat. That's why muscle weighs more. Take two people who are similar in size, same height, same waist and hip sizes... if one has 20% body fat and the other has 15% body fat... the one with15% body fat will have more lean body mass and will actually weigh more. Lean body mass weighs more than fat at the same volume.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    possible TOM soon? if not, maybe look at lowering your carbs for a few days or weeks. i've been doing that recently and i have not been bloated at all (and i usually am for whatever reason). i have been trying to keep my carbs (net) to around 50-60 per day. just something to consider especially since you feel 'fat' without even consuming a large amount of calories.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Sorry to say but this is highly inaccurate. If a woman who is 4'10" who weighs 110lbs would she be in starvation mode if she ate 1200 calories a day? NO. Is it true that eating less slows down metabolism? Yes, but there is a catch. It will slow down "IF YOU DONT EXERCISE" Exercising keeps your metabolism up so it won't slow down. How you think gastric bypass works, those people eat about 500-1000 calories a day, and they lose a ton of weight.

I noticed you just joined the site, sorry if I sounded rude that's not my intention. Welcome to the site, and good luck on your weight loss journey.

Sorry to say, but this is not highly inaccurate, it is right on the money. Maybe for the 1% of the population that is 4'10 and weighs 110lbs (and does not even belong to MFP because she doesn't need it) it would work. You really need to stop telling people to eat under their calorie goals!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

Sorry to say, but this is not highly inaccurate, it is right on the money. Maybe for the 1% of the population that is 4'10 and weighs 110lbs (and does not even belong to MFP because she doesn't need it) it would work. You really need to stop telling people to eat under their calorie goals!

Go Carmen! ...this guy obviously gets something more out of offering his 'advice'...
  • mary4760
    mary4760 Posts: 3
    Options

Go Carmen! ...this guy obviously gets something more out of offering his 'advice'...

Thank you ladies for backing me up on this. Yes, I may be new to this site, but im definately not new at the whole losing weight thing! lol! My doctor explained it to me like this: Let's say I weigh 250 lbs. If I consume 2500 calories a day I'm going to maintain that 250lbs. If I eat below 2500 cals, im going to start losing weight (taking 2500 cals and reducing it by 700-800 cals for HEALTHY weight loss) If I consume more than 2500 cals, Im going to gain weight. Lets keep in mind that 1 lb=3200cals. I don't care whether someone has gastric bypass, or is on the hcg diet....It is UNHEALTHY (key work) for any body to only consume 500 cals a day, and obviously only by a doctors supervision. For everyone who wants to know, here is the formula:

***To maintain current weight: Multiply your current weight by 12. (this rule of thumb only applies to those who lead an inactive lifestyle). You would want to add 200-300 cals if you do moderate physical activity and 400-500 if you do strenuous physical activity.

Now...

***To lose: You would reduce the number of cals that it would take to maintain by about 300-400 if you are slightly overweight and 700-800 if you are substantially overweight.

***this is what I have learned from my research and speaking to my doctor...so, @asmcriminal, I would say that this is HIGHLY accurate....I'm sorry if I sound rude, that is not my intention. And ladies...good luck on your weight loss journey. And as always, your welcome to add me as a friend :)
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate that!!!! I get all confused and conflicted with the whole
    "not eating enough calories" thing. Everyone has their own opinions, and I've read quite a few,
    I just wish I knew what worked best for me!! I've been at this since March 1st, so I'm still learning!!! :smile:
  • registers
    Options

Once again carmen, where did i say "eat lower calories?!?!?!?!" you just randomly assume things.
  • registers
    Options
    Thank you ladies for backing me up on this. Yes, I may be new to this site, but im definately not new at the whole losing weight thing! lol! My doctor explained it to me like this: Let's say I weigh 250 lbs. If I consume 2500 calories a day I'm going to maintain that 250lbs. If I eat below 2500 cals, im going to start losing weight (taking 2500 cals and reducing it by 700-800 cals for HEALTHY weight loss) If I consume more than 2500 cals, Im going to gain weight. Lets keep in mind that 1 lb=3200cals. I don't care whether someone has gastric bypass, or is on the hcg diet....It is UNHEALTHY (key work) for any body to only consume 500 cals a day, and obviously only by a doctors supervision. For everyone who wants to know, here is the formula:

***To maintain current weight: Multiply your current weight by 12. (this rule of thumb only applies to those who lead an inactive lifestyle). You would want to add 200-300 cals if you do moderate physical activity and 400-500 if you do strenuous physical activity.

Now...

***To lose: You would reduce the number of cals that it would take to maintain by about 300-400 if you are slightly overweight and 700-800 if you are substantially overweight.

***this is what I have learned from my research and speaking to my doctor...so, @asmcriminal, I would say that this is HIGHLY accurate....I'm sorry if I sound rude, that is not my intention. And ladies...good luck on your weight loss journey. And as always, your welcome to add me as a friend :)

I am familiar with a "similar" formula. There are some gaps in the logic of the formula you're using... I am familiar with "eat the weight you want to be at x 10" pretty much what you said... if I want to weigh 250lbs I have to eat 2500 calories. so if we lead an inactive lifestyle multiply our weight by 12. 250 x 12 = 3000 calories. SO according to the original formula eat the weight you want to be at x 10. Wouldn't this put my weight up to 300lbs "according to your doctor" recommendations.

Another thing you heard about the starvation mode theory and such. I think that was our original discussion. I would say starvation mode is the point when you're on a reduced caloric diet... and not losing weight. No one can deny this doesn't happen. THe issue is the amount of carbohydrates you eat. You can be on a very low calorie diet and lose a lot of body fat. If your protein intake is enough. I am not recommending an extremely low calorie diet. Just making a point about "it's not all about calories." You also said Very low calorie diets are "unhealthy" I do partially agree. I think people have a tendency to generalize things, this limits their thinking. Fasting is one of the healthiest things you can do, some dr's even recommend it for cancer patients. Low calorie diets are linked to increase life span. Once again "i am not recommending anything, just stating a fact." I am not saying eat low calories, or high calories.

I am not saying believe what I say, or what your dr says or what anyone says, I am saying "think for yourself" so you're not mislead by inaccurate information.
  • registers
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate that!!!! I get all confused and conflicted with the whole
    "not eating enough calories" thing. Everyone has their own opinions, and I've read quite a few,
    I just wish I knew what worked best for me!! I've been at this since March 1st, so I'm still learning!!! :smile:

Sorry about the partial drama on your post. I think the best general advice someone can give is, eat clean food, i personally don't shop down the "isles" i shop on the outside where the fruits/vegetables/meat sources are at. The isles are filled with processed foods, there are a few exceptions. Also just be active, don't stuff your face with food, and don't starve yourself. Exercise is the real key to all this.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I randomly assume things? Seriously? We have been having this debate for what....a month now! I jump in on every post I see you tell people that you are fasting, so we must all try it too, and that it is okay for people to eat less than 1200 calories and starvation mode is a myth? Should I go back and bring up quotes of every time I have read you do this?

Please, please stop bringing up the 4'10" and 110lb woman scenerio.....how many 4'10" women do you know? I have 2 freinds who are about that and at a perfect weight and eat way more than I do because they are very active!!!! What about them? Are they freaks of nature? They would be in starvation mode at less than 1200 calories because they are normal women! Normal women need to eat more than 1200 calories at any point in life! Eating below is dangerous and not healthy for long term. You need to stop giving advice! Because I am going to stop arguing with you, it is pointless and frankly a waste of my time and energy! You obviously don't "get it", and I really think you never will!
  • registers
    Options
    I randomly assume things? Seriously? We have been having this debate for what....a month now! I jump in on every post I see you tell people that you are fasting, so we must all try it too, and that it is okay for people to eat less than 1200 calories and starvation mode is a myth? Should I go back and bring up quotes of every time I have read you do this?

Please, please stop bringing up the 4'10" and 110lb woman scenerio.....how many 4'10" women do you know? I have 2 freinds who are about that and at a perfect weight and eat way more than I do because they are very active!!!! What about them? Are they freaks of nature? They would be in starvation mode at less than 1200 calories because they are normal women! Normal women need to eat more than 1200 calories at any point in life! Eating below is dangerous and not healthy for long term. You need to stop giving advice! Because I am going to stop arguing with you, it is pointless and frankly a waste of my time and energy! You obviously don't "get it", and I really think you never will!

Carmen I feel it's the other way around, I get it, other people don't. Can you please copy and paste where i said "you should fast" or "eat under 1200 calories a day" ? We both know you can't because I never said that.