Short, relatively small women in long-term maintenance

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also petite without much muscle mass - is because I'm low tone. I walked late and was always the slowest kid in gym class, chosen the last for teams.

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    What are everyone's stats and maintenance ranges?

I'm still working on trying to find mine. I was eating at 1450 while losing, and now have upped it to 1600 to maintain, which I *think* is around my current maintenance range, though I'm still trying to work it out. (Those numbers include exercise, by the way. I use the TDEE method.)

So far, maintenance doesn't feel much different from eating at a deficit. I don't know why, but I had this weird idea in my head that I'd be able to eat so much food at maintenance; the message boards are full of people transitioning to maintenance who are perplexed about how to add on so many calories. For me it's the opposite problem; I've arrived here and yet I'm still almost as restricted as I was during weight loss.

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I know this is a maintenance group, but in case there are any littles looking for support on the way to maintenance, please come join our new group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/110005-little-women

If the link doesn't work please PM me and I will send you an invite.

Maintainers also welcome! Would be great to have some tried and tested losers with us.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Currently 5'1, 110. Just started having to balance eating and exercise, mostly been under weight. This is all a bit daunting to me but.... Lost 4 lbs easily, over the last 2 months. Stopped losing. Now just trying to gain muscle rather than feeling spent with lower calories. I'd like to be at 105-108, more muscle/strength tho.
  • dkistner1111
    dkistner1111 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I am 5ft and maintain at 127 (which makes me feel quite hefty compared to many on this thread) but allows me to maintain on about 1500 cals which doesn't feel I'm depriving myself, and I've maintained for 4 years.
    Clothes are too bad in the main but bra's are tricky - I'm a 32FF! Other thing is short legs - especially now I'm looking for winter running bottoms.

I was glad to see your post after all the 5.1s and 5.2s who weigh a lot less than me. I am 63, 4'11", and started at the morbidly obese 208. I am now down to 121. My goal was 120 (smack in the middle of what the weight charts said was right for me), but when I went to see my doctor at 124, she told me I could lose five more pounds if I wanted to, but no more than that; that I was just fine at the weight I was.

I can see, however, that I'll never be able to stop tracking. The margins are just too close. MFP tells me my weight-loss calorie amount is 1200 and my maintenance amount is 1270. I do try to exercise, but the operative word there is "try." I was walking about 3.5 miles four or five days a week, but it's getting so cold and yucky now that I don't want to do it. When I DO exercise, I find I'm a whole lot hungrier and have much more difficulty not going over my daily goal (even with the extra exercise calories added back in). I've got serious osteoporosis, so that's made me kind of afraid of trying some of the more vigorous activities some of you do.

My plan for maintenance is to weigh every day. In the past, my pattern has been to steadily rock up and down within a 1-lb. range (on a steady downward trend, of course). So if I see I'm starting to deviate appreciably upward from that pattern, I'm not going to let it go more than a pound or two. The focus, always, is on health and good clean eating.
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 8,068 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread. Good to see as the posts went on that not all petites are under 120! I'm 5'3" and weigh roughly 135 lbs. A few years back I had gotten as low as 125 lbs but it wasn't sustainable. I'm not willing to reduce my calorie intake that much to get back under 130 plus I would probably end up losing some muscle mass. I think I look pretty good for a 55 year old. Would like to shed a few more lbs to get back down to around 132-133 and then work on maintaining that weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hi @dkistner1111, I am one of the lighter petites but, I am quite small boned, and need more muscle.
    A 120 weight range sounds great, and what an accomplishment! Congratulations on your loss.
    I like to have a 5 lb weight range to stay within.

It is amazing to look at the different weights we are all happy at, since we are within 4-5 in in height, from 95-132.
    It really does come down to personal comfort factor.

If you are limited in exercise, because of the osteoporosis, see if aqua fit is available in your area. It is a great workout combining resistance and cardio, and, because it is in water, very low impact. I am just a year younger than you and really enjoy it.

My maintenance is sedentary 1200, aqua fit gives me 200 per session so x3 a week and I up my daily calories to 1300. If I move x5 a week, even if it isn't structured exercise, I can get 1400. Right now I am trying to push to 1450, slowly.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @slimtastesbetter you look great in your avitar. If that is you in the 130's I would keep a range right there.
    Cheers, h.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi, Shorties! I'm 5'2.5" and 66 years old. Started at 179 lbs almost 2 years ago; weighing in at 127 lbs right now; medium frame. I'm currently wearing a US size 2/4 Petite. I figure 3.5 lbs or so to maintenance with a range between 124 -127 lbs. Losing only ounces now every other week or so. I began weight lifting quite early on with my weight loss and I believe that's what really transformed my shape. The body fat web sites put me at 25% but who knows.

I'm exercising 3-5 times per week weight lifting with some cardio; eating anywhere from 1600 - to 1800 calories per day depending upon activity. When sedentary I'm in the 1200 - 1300 calorie range. I definitely have to keep up with the exercise to eat at 1600 to 1800 calories. Also going to have to log everyday. With my fitbit to calculate, I'm averaging around 12,000 steps per day (10,000 just isn't enough with my short legs).

Petite clothing is hard to find! I seem to be short legged with a slightly longer torso so have to buy Petite sized pants and the Missy size small tops are also too big. Not complaining, mind you, since that's better than the US 14/16's I was wearing.

I'm game for anyone who wants to "friend" to work on maintenance. I'm hoping I can keep up my activity and stay around 1700 - 1800 cals per day on maintenance.

Regards,

Trina
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @trina1049, well done!

If you, and the other recent posters, @slimtastesbetter, @dkistner1111, @klove808, etc, missed the links, @segacs started a petites maintenance group a few weeks ago.
    Here is the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109137-petites-in-maintenance

Cheers, h.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch, thanks! Just signed on to the group.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    @trina1049, well done!

If you, and the other recent posters, @slimtastesbetter, @dkistner1111, @klove808, etc, missed the links, @segacs started a petites maintenance group a few weeks ago.
    Here is the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109137-petites-in-maintenance

Cheers, h.

@middlehaitch You beat me too it! I just clicked over to get the link to recommend that group. It's a great community of fun sized ladies. :smile:
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 at 132lbs, aiming for 120lbs and consider myself to be quite small. I am still trying to lose weight and this is what seems harder is that you have to be much more dedicated to your diet to lose it, well in for everyone who has reached their goal!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @erialcelyob, too true a scale really is your best friend when petite. I watched fractions of a pound per week dropping off when I was losing.
    Patience and perseverance really are a virtue.

@LeslieB042812 hee hee, that always happens to me I am such a slow typist, especially on my phone.
    FYI, after yesterday's All Pro I have a slight case of the DOMS so am procrastinating on MFP instead of moving to work them off :)

Cheers, h.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch, hi and thank you. Joined :). Awesome.

• lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    5'3, 120lbs, maintenance is 1700 but after a good workout, I'm usually eating more around 2000. Lowest was 110 (after a break up) and I felt HORRIBLE! Always cold, always tired, pale. It's so funny how everyone is different! Goes to show how what works for one person isn't necessarily best for someone else.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    lbaxandall wrote: »
    5'3, 120lbs, maintenance is 1700 but after a good workout, I'm usually eating more around 2000. Lowest was 110 (after a break up) and I felt HORRIBLE! Always cold, always tired, pale. It's so funny how everyone is different! Goes to show how what works for one person isn't necessarily best for someone else.

So true! It's also interesting how some people tend to gain under stress and some tend to lose....I'm a gainer! While I've always been jealous of losers, but your post made me realize that neither is healthy.
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 years old, 5'0, currently at 97 pounds from 126. I have one pound to go to round out a 30 pound goal (maintenance range 96-100). I am hypothyroid and my BMR is only about 960. I've been using Fitbit for TDEE - 25% and average around 900-1000 calories. I have no idea what my actual maintenance TDEE will be, probably between 1200-1300. I am on a vegan 40-30-30 diet. I know I have to exercise every day for the rest of my life because my BMR is so low.

I wear boys' (hoodies) and men's (T-shirts) clothes because they are higher quality and function than women's clothes, except for turtlenecks and elastic-waist "old lady" khakis from Landsend (I think they're available in Canada) which come with free hemming. I can't hem or sew to save my life. Also they are quicker to yank down due to endless rounds of urge incontinence. :) I think I can wear boys' size 14 or 16 pants.

I wear a size medium Champion plain stretch sports bra in various flavors. Target has them, as does Amazon. I think they are available in Canada as well.

I was in Target the other day and just for grins tried on a pair of size 2 women's skinny jeans. The legs were fine but the crotch was somewhere around my sternum and there was a horrible two inch gap around the butt into which you could place my iphone, because you sure as hell couldn't put it in any of the pockets.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    5ft 2 / 46 yrs/ maintaining 133lbs for 2 years now (am slim/fit at this weight)
    I'm a UK size 8-10 depending on brand/retailer.

I maintain on approx 2200 cals gross.

I workout 5 days a week / run / walk/ lift / yoga.

For me maintenance rocks :smile:

This is exactly where I want to be!!! (Sigh!). So close but so far away! (9 lbs) how much time do you work out daily??? I can't wait to reach maintenance!