Overcoming a slow work day

Options
Good day,

its the first day back for me at work, and like many other people (i hope) my job can be very slow from time to time.

how do you people bide your time at work? and refrain from eating your lunch at 10am?

i need some way to distract myself from googling 1. fad diets, 2. new gym routines 3. constantly thinking about food

i look forward to the suggestion, (good or bad)

Tim

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What do you do? Is there other work you can be picking up?
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    im an engineer and the work is seasonal as such, and it comes in big waves. so some times im super busy , other times im not. i do absolutely pick up all the work i can already. but it just seems like i still have lots of time at my computer without a lot to do.
  • mmat26
    mmat26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually make my weekly workout, meal plan and shopping list if I same downtime. I'm an engineer as well and the work tends to come in surges.
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have a job with very seasonal work - I use time to go for a run or do some body weight training. Do you have to be in the office when you don't have work?
    If you have to be in the office, you can create a standing desk - my husband did it for himself by raising the desk on cinder blocks (dirt cheap).
    Also, you can spend time googling healthy recipes and get yourself excited to cook when you get home. Likewise, spend that time googling various exercises. I find it very motivating to watch videos of personal trainers like Jenna Wolfe and Megan Ewoldsen. Good luck!
  • tbrain1989
    Options
    i dont have to be at my desk, that isnt an issue actually. ive never thought of taking a workout in the middle of the day. i usually run in the mornings. do weights Mon-Wed-Fri and have rugby Tues and thursday.

i think i associate boredom with hunger as its very easy to satisfy boredom with eating.

today ive written meal and training plans for the next 4 weeks so that took up my afternoon.

i guess i could actually do the shopping lists associated.

just have to find some thing to kill the time on tuesday. thanks
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Learn a language.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have this problem also. I tend to use my time writing meal plans/shopping lists/looking up new recipes if I have spare time on my hands! I have to do something otherwise I end up reaching for food...
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    tbrain1989 wrote: »
    Good day,

its the first day back for me at work, and like many other people (i hope) my job can be very slow from time to time.

how do you people bide your time at work? and refrain from eating your lunch at 10am?

i need some way to distract myself from googling 1. fad diets, 2. new gym routines 3. constantly thinking about food

i look forward to the suggestion, (good or bad)

Tim

This can be me -- I tend to stay pretty busy at work but do have slow times. I also have times of working on projects at my desk and even though I am busy I will still seek snacks out of boredom or whatever it might be.

So, I have upped my water. The more water I drink the less I think of snacking. I also pre-map out my day on MFP, it really helps me to see that I have more than enough food for the day but want it to last for the entire day.

I also set up meetings with myself pretty much on my work calendar, I know right before lunch and around 2-3pm are my danger times to seek candy and junk food. So, my calendar has private meetings on them that are motivational quotes and images. I put them at different times throughout the month with different images I found on Google, I will start thinking of wanting candy and BAM! one pops up and I am reminded why I don't want to do that.

I also downloaded an app that reminds me to stand up every 20 minutes, just breaking from staring at the computer really helps.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm not an engineer, but I work with engineers (Designer). Sit down job, 8hrs a day and some times it's dreadfully slow. Water and gum is your friend. Also, set an alarm every hour and go up and down the stairs. I have 4 floors in my building, I feel it by the 3rd..LOL. I just make it look like I have to go talk to someone. Me getting up and moving is the only thing that make the 8hrs go faster when I'm not busy (Like now...LOL).
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Back at work with winter bearing down and no holidays to look forward to now. I'm filling my time with vacation planning somewhere that's warm. You can easliy get lost in the endless world of beach house rental properties. Good luck.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    tbrain1989 wrote: »
    i dont have to be at my desk, that isnt an issue actually. ive never thought of taking a workout in the middle of the day. i usually run in the mornings. do weights Mon-Wed-Fri and have rugby Tues and thursday.

i think i associate boredom with hunger as its very easy to satisfy boredom with eating.

today ive written meal and training plans for the next 4 weeks so that took up my afternoon.

i guess i could actually do the shopping lists associated.

just have to find some thing to kill the time on tuesday. thanks

I have issues with boredom eating. My work is pretty seasonal and can be very slow at times and insanely busy at other times. To help with the boredom eating, I keep a bag of sunflower seeds in the shell at my desk. They're not very many calories, they take time to eat so you don't eat that many anyway, and they keep your mouth busy so your not thinking about eating more. All that, plus the protein in the nuts actually keeps your energy up and you're not as hungry.

I also force myself to drink 1 liter of water before lunch and another liter before the end of the day. You'd be amazed how occupied that keeps you.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    I also set up meetings with myself pretty much on my work calendar, I know right before lunch and around 2-3pm are my danger times to seek candy and junk food. So, my calendar has private meetings on them that are motivational quotes and images. I put them at different times throughout the month with different images I found on Google, I will start thinking of wanting candy and BAM! one pops up and I am reminded why I don't want to do that.

I love this idea!! Definitely going to try it!

I've been keeping my water intake up, so I know I'm not actually hungry or thirsty. I usually have a good breakfast to keep me full and then take some snacks in to have in the long morning. I usually push lunch back so I have a shorted afternoon. I eat in work purely from being bored.

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    sianlr87 wrote: »
    cessi0909 wrote: »

I love this idea!! Definitely going to try it!

I've been keeping my water intake up, so I know I'm not actually hungry or thirsty. I usually have a good breakfast to keep me full and then take some snacks in to have in the long morning. I usually push lunch back so I have a shorted afternoon. I eat in work purely from being bored.

Glad you like the idea! It has really helped me-- yesterday I was starting to think of venturing out in search of chocolate and one came up. It put my mind right back where I needed it to be

• tbrain1989
    Options
    i like lots of these suggstions, ive never thought of learning a language or something while im on my quiet times but that would be very helpful. Im going to mexico in June so thats somewhere to start.

i like the calendar appointments thing, right before lunch and around snack times just a pop up to remind me what im supposed to be doing.

im sure there is a thing such as sub-conscious eating. where you get halfway through your food before you notice you were eating it.

im also glad to hear (no in a sinister way) that other people are in this position.

thanks
  • karlis87
    Options
    Maybe there's a Spanish mfp you could join. :wink:
  • tbrain1989
    Options
    i cant decide if thats mean or helpful... haha
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    It helps me to make sure that I have healthy appropriate snacks available to me. I plan my food a day in advance, so I actually look forward to my snacks between meals. I'm not tempted by other things so much because I know exactly what my next meal is. Good luck all!
  • kareng_49
    kareng_49 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    what fantastic ideas! I just set up motivational reminders to help get me through the rough patches.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    cracked.com? Read some articles!
  • karlis87
    Options
    Meant to be helpful. I find conversing with people on the Internet a great way to learn a language.