So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    kuroshii wrote: »
    I have no intention of decreasing how much cardio I do, because I'm not doing the cardio for weight loss I'm doing it for heart health per doctor's instructions. But this thread has convinced me (not that I needed convincing, mind you) that the resistance training I'm doing isn't enough and it needs to be *increased.* Thank you for all of this.

@kuroshii If you enjoy it and need it you should keep up on the cardio. Lifting also has benefits for the heart and several studies showed an increase in VO2max through lifting alone. The best part of resistance training is that there are a variety of methods, plans and programs out there. Try out some different things and pick something you enjoy.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have felt very discouraged while being on the forums lately (many beginners who think of themselves as "experts" and actively ignore/attack veterans who are trying to help)
    but the fact that this thread is still going gives me hope! Thank you!

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The shape and look of the abdominals comes down to genetics as well! Some have 6 packs some have 8 packs and some only get 4 packs that is all about the shape of the muscle itself! I'm lucky I get an 8 pack but I got that by lifting heavy and very very little cardio (which I do for 10min Max's couple times a week) but it's very important to train all muscles including the heart muscle! As they say abs are built in the kitchen!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bump after reading the OP yet again, and the last 10 pages.

Thanks for this, @usmcmp and kudos on your patience!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    56402831.jpg
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree with this and would only add if your fairly thin and have no abs you will likely be better served with small calorie surplus and a good ab routine....because you cannot display that which you have not built.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I agree with this and would only add if your fairly thin and have no abs you will likely be better served with small calorie surplus and a good ab routine....because you cannot display that which you have not built.

That would be covered under @usmcmp 's other post here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Again!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I want one, but never going to happen with this loose skin :(
  • usmcmp
    Options

@SteveMFP123 I have loose skin. I was obese each time I got pregnant and gained 50-60 pounds with each pregnancy. You can still get lean and have loose skin. Loose skin won't keep you from losing the fat.
  • SteveMFP123
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@SteveMFP123 I have loose skin. I was obese each time I got pregnant and gained 50-60 pounds with each pregnancy. You can still get lean and have loose skin. Loose skin won't keep you from losing the fat.

Looking at your photo I can't see any loose skin at all, obviously you work really hard though for your physique and honestly I'm too lazy to get anywhere close to you. Is the skin on your belly? For me my belly sucks, it's really ugly and feels like dough lol. I know there's still some fat in there as I'm not at my goal yet, but I really can't see my skin ever getting better even when I lose another 10lbs or more. It was just stretched for too long, being obese II (nearly III) for my entire adult life completely wrecked my skin. I would have it removed in a heartbeat if I could afford it as I really hate it. My arms aren't great either, same with my chest, basically I look like I'm melting all over which isn't ideal for a relatively young man.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Looking at your photo I can't see any loose skin at all, obviously you work really hard though for your physique and honestly I'm too lazy to get anywhere close to you. Is the skin on your belly? For me my belly sucks, it's really ugly and feels like dough lol. I know there's still some fat in there as I'm not at my goal yet, but I really can't see my skin ever getting better even when I lose another 10lbs or more. It was just stretched for too long, being obese II (nearly III) for my entire adult life completely wrecked my skin. I would have it removed in a heartbeat if I could afford it as I really hate it. My arms aren't great either, same with my chest, basically I look like I'm melting all over which isn't ideal for a relatively young man.

The skin is on my belly and when I first lost the weight there was a lot of it, but we are about the same age and there is hope that your skin will tighten up. The ugly/dough belly is definitely fat and you can slowly improve that. If you follow a lifting program of some sort you'll improve your body composition, which will also fill in the arms, chest, legs and back. You don't have to go "hard core" to make these improvements, you just have to stick to lifting long term. There is hope for you, but you have to trust the process.
  • SteveMFP123
    Options

The skin is on my belly and when I first lost the weight there was a lot of it, but we are about the same age and there is hope that your skin will tighten up. The ugly/dough belly is definitely fat and you can slowly improve that. If you follow a lifting program of some sort you'll improve your body composition, which will also fill in the arms, chest, legs and back. You don't have to go "hard core" to make these improvements, you just have to stick to lifting long term. There is hope for you, but you have to trust the process.

I actually recently started 5x5 stronglifts, I'm still at the very low weight stage though, and I'm doing it at home so I'm missing things like a squat rack so I'm limited by what I can safely lift over my head, which for now is fine because I'm weak but at some point that will really halt my progress so I'll definitely invest in one. I really hope I keep it up, I've always been really bad with exercise and have lost most of my weight simply by calorie counting. It's encouraging that my dough ball belly has a chance at improving though.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I actually recently started 5x5 stronglifts, I'm still at the very low weight stage though, and I'm doing it at home so I'm missing things like a squat rack so I'm limited by what I can safely lift over my head, which for now is fine because I'm weak but at some point that will really halt my progress so I'll definitely invest in one. I really hope I keep it up, I've always been really bad with exercise and have lost most of my weight simply by calorie counting. It's encouraging that my dough ball belly has a chance at improving though.

Sounds like you are on the right path! My stomach went through that stage multiple times before I finally got lean. I don't have that firm look to my stomach due to the skin, but I feel so much better. Stick with it, you will get there!
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly confused so if someone could help me out that would be brilliant.... I followed the link in the original post and it reckons I should be eating 1433 calories ? This seems so low, especially when I see so many posts on here where people get told to ignore the 1600 calorie setting on here ?

Thanks in advance :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I'm slightly confused so if someone could help me out that would be brilliant.... I followed the link in the original post and it reckons I should be eating 1433 calories ? This seems so low, especially when I see so many posts on here where people get told to ignore the 1600 calorie setting on here ?

Thanks in advance :)

@louiseshaw88 It could be how you entered your information into the calculator compared to how you entered it into here. If you are losing weight at 1600 calories you shouldn't drop your calories. Most women end up with their goal at 1200 calories on here and the calculator helps them see they can eat more.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So nice to see such a great thread again.