So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• evansmd10
    evansmd10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am looking to get my body back after a work spine injury 10 yrs ago. Meds caused a 110lb weight gain I am down to 138.5 want to be 125lb. Eating green training hard.,
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only part of my body is taking FOREVER to change is my stomach. The area right below my belly button is flat and firm, but the area just above it is flub. :( Just perfect for hanging over the waistband of jeans. It's getting smaller, but it's rather frustrating.

I do a lot of cardio (anywhere from 35-2 hours, 6 days a week), one day of rest, and five days of strength training. I haven't worked up the courage (or knowledge) to venture over to the free weight area of my gym other than doing planks. But I have to wonder if my extremely late start into the world of strength training is the cause of my stomach not shrinking faster than I hoped.

I do plan to add in some heavy lifting, something like the Stronglifts 5x5 workout, after I finish my half-marathons next month.

I'll keep working at it, and hope to see more progress. The only issue I have is the crazy deficit I've kept, but I'm getting better at shrinking it.

Thanks, again, for the tips. It's pretty encouraging to see that perhaps I'm not wandering in the dark in trying to flatten my stomach out. :)
  • beachgirl_
    beachgirl_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info OP!
  • evansmd10
    evansmd10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am eating really green and training 7 days a wk weights and cardio, because I know my abs get started in the kitchen
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    evansmd10 wrote: »
    I am eating really green and training 7 days a wk weights and cardio, because I know my abs get started in the kitchen

You posted that already. There wasn't a question, so I didn't reply. Abs aren't made in the kitchen, they are revealed through diet. Abs are made in the gym. Eating green isn't necessarily superior for getting abs, but if that's what you want to do and you get adequate protein then knock yourself out.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hello OP, I am in the middle of my 4th week of Stronglifts 5x5 now....and I occadionaly do 15-20 mins cardio after it..a total of 35-40 mins cardio plus 3x week SL. I am definitely seeing the result in strength as I never thought I could squat 1lbs more than my body weight....Do you suggest stronglifts over the long term? I mean it is designed for 3 months but many people suggest to keep doing it even for an year..and then switch to another weight training once I stall on adding weights...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello OP, I am in the middle of my 4th week of Stronglifts 5x5 now....and I occadionaly do 15-20 mins cardio after it..a total of 35-40 mins cardio plus 3x week SL. I am definitely seeing the result in strength as I never thought I could squat 1lbs more than my body weight....Do you suggest stronglifts over the long term? I mean it is designed for 3 months but many people suggest to keep doing it even for an year..and then switch to another weight training once I stall on adding weights...

Not the OP, but you can absolutely keep doing it for a year and beyond. If you are still progressing and are enjoying it, then keep going. In fact I would often recommend sticking to a program for more than 3 months (with necessary tweaks as you go) - but it depends on your goals, preferences and other circumstances.

Edited to fix as apparently I cannot type!!

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Not the OP, but you can absolutely keep doing it for a year and beyond. If you are still progressing and are enjoying it, then keep going. In fact I would often recommend sticking to a program for more than 3 months (with necessary tweaks as you go) - but it depends on your goals, preferences and other circumstances.

Goal is weight loss now as I have gone from 275 to 242 and weight is pretty much coming down now. I just had a stall right after I began Stronglifts less than a month ago. my journey is long but I also wanna be ready for when the fat will be gone...avoiding the skinny fat situation, trying to preserve muscle so that I can be able to build it later.....and yes i do want the six-pack cuz I have never had one...there is no way im not having a six-pack before dying lol....hope im doing the right thing with SL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Goal is weight loss now as I have gone from 275 to 242 and weight is pretty much coming down now. I just had a stall right after I began Stronglifts less than a month ago. my journey is long but I also wanna be ready for when the fat will be gone...avoiding the skinny fat situation, trying to preserve muscle so that I can be able to build it later.....and yes i do want the six-pack cuz I have never had one...there is no way im not having a six-pack before dying lol....hope im doing the right thing with SL

Stall could well have been water weight - when starting to lift/changing routines/intensity, you can retain more fluid in your muscle due to repair than usual - it can last a few weeks (water weight is offsetting fat loss).

SL is a good alround routine - there are quite a few out there but to be honest, most similar ones (full body with emphasis on compounds with decent volume/frequency and progression baked in) will give you more or less the same results with those pretty new to lifting (and by pretty new, we are looking at up to a year, and sometimes longer) or with more general goals such as LBM retention. The important thing is to pick the one you enjoy and will do it more consistently.
  • amyjoi16
    amyjoi16 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was directed here after posting in another thread about my belly fat. Frankly, I don't understand how a bench press or pull ups will help flatten the tummy. Crunches?
    Also, how can a good cardio routine NOT help with calorie burn?
    I think this advice is helpful, and I am already doing all of these things, but can't find the patient "button."
    Thanks!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    amyjoi16 wrote: »
    I was directed here after posting in another thread about my belly fat. Frankly, I don't understand how a bench press or pull ups will help flatten the tummy. Crunches?
    I think this advice is helpful, and I am already doing all of these things, but can't find the patient "button."
    Thanks!

OP didn't say that bench press and pull ups will directly correlate to a flattened tummy. Op Also didn't didnt't say that cardio will not aid in calorie burn.

Strength training will aid in improving body composition and retaining/increasing LBM (provided that your overall diet is on point and in line with you particular goals i.e. in a deficit if looking for fat loss). Cardio will aid in caloric burn, but isn't necessary for fat loss or obtaining an aesthetic midsection.

As for the patience button.... if it took you that long to reach a point of where you were not happy with you current body composition, you can't expect to undo it over night as well.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    amyjoi16 wrote: »
    Thanks!

LolBroScience nailed it.

Those moves (along with lifting and working the rest of your muscles) is for lean mass retention, not spot reducing belly fat. You can't spot reduce. The goal of lifting is so when you get close to your goal your body composition is better. You lose more weight as fat, instead of fat and lean mass. That means you actually have to lose less weight in the long run.

I didn't say cardio doesn't help. Too many people place emphasis on cardio. Cardio is a tool to aid in a calorie deficit. Keeping your diet in check and retaining lean mass are more important than worrying about burning more calories.
  • prudencemusic
    prudencemusic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only part of my body is taking FOREVER to change is my stomach. The area right below my belly button is flat and firm, but the area just above it is flub. :( Just perfect for hanging over the waistband of jeans. It's getting smaller, but it's rather frustrating.

I do a lot of cardio (anywhere from 35-2 hours, 6 days a week), one day of rest, and five days of strength training. I haven't worked up the courage (or knowledge) to venture over to the free weight area of my gym other than doing planks. But I have to wonder if my extremely late start into the world of strength training is the cause of my stomach not shrinking faster than I hoped.

I do plan to add in some heavy lifting, something like the Stronglifts 5x5 workout, after I finish my half-marathons next month.

I'll keep working at it, and hope to see more progress. The only issue I have is the crazy deficit I've kept, but I'm getting better at shrinking it.

Thanks, again, for the tips. It's pretty encouraging to see that perhaps I'm not wandering in the dark in trying to flatten my stomach out. :)

I know exactly how you're feeling! Keep at it and I'm sure you will be seeing the results soon :) Don't get discouraged!
  • prudencemusic
    prudencemusic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    evansmd10 wrote: »

Don't forget to give your body a rest day to recover from all the intense training during the week!
  • jdallen29
    jdallen29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

I think their reason for that comment was because you said "Cardio doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week." Do you mean that if you are getting about 400 calories less than your TDEE each day, and 4 times a week you are burning about 700-800 calories through cardio each time, you won't burn off fat even faster? Wouldn't 700-800 calories burned off 4 times a week substantially add to the calorie burn?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    jdallen29 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

I think their reason for that comment was because you said "Cardio doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week." Do you mean that if you are getting about 400 calories less than your TDEE each day, and 4 times a week you are burning about 700-800 calories through cardio each time, you won't burn off fat even faster? Wouldn't 700-800 calories burned off 4 times a week substantially add to the calorie burn?

I addressed that many many many times through the last 45 pages.

I didn't say cardio doesn't add much, I said that my suggestions for cardio doesn't add much. Preserving muscle is the main goal of the article, so nutrition and resistance training should take priority over burning 3200 calories doing cardio every week.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Looking at all the flabby pears in my family, sometimes i think i just don't have the genetics for it :(
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So question....I jumped from the 1st post to the last page so this might be answered somewhere in the 45 pages of this thread. :-)

Can you or someone explain TDEE to me or how I'm supposed to use the calculator in the original post? I did it and I got my rest calories and workout but I dont' know what it means. TIA!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So question....I jumped from the 1st post to the last page so this might be answered somewhere in the 45 pages of this thread. :-)

Can you or someone explain TDEE to me or how I'm supposed to use the calculator in the original post? I did it and I got my rest calories and workout but I dont' know what it means. TIA!

TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period. This includes when you are sleeping, doing normal activity, working and working out. Eating at 20% below that number ensures you are at an appropriate deficit, so you fuel your body well while losing weight. This calculator is a bit easier: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Looking at all the flabby pears in my family, sometimes i think i just don't have the genetics for it :(

My family carries their weight in their belly. I "don't have the genetics for it" plus I had kids. It's okay to say that the effort required to have a flat stomach or low body fat isn't worth it, but genetics doesn't mean you can never have it.