So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• khaled3006
    Options
    i want to reduce the last inches of stubborn fat that hide abs what i do ?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Val901 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you are struggling with hunger that bad it might be a good idea to make sure your calorie goal is not too aggressive.

Really? I thought I would get used to it eventually or something, but I don't know - the goal I have set on MFP is 1440 calories a day, what do you think?

You said your body fat is 24%, but the weight you gave is normal and your ticker says your goal is to lose two pounds. I would suggest that you consider switching to maintenance and focus on strength training. You have age on your side to help you recomposition (meaning you'll stay about the same weight while losing fat and building muscle).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Looking at all the flabby pears in my family, sometimes i think i just don't have the genetics for it :(

My family carries their weight in their belly. I "don't have the genetics for it" plus I had kids. It's okay to say that the effort required to have a flat stomach or low body fat isn't worth it, but genetics doesn't mean you can never have it.

Here I thought it was okay to say whatever I want in America. My thoughts are legitimate even if you think your wording of everything is perfect. It can be discouraging to have an entire family with no fit people, especially when it's a very large family. So you can call me lazy in whatever backhanded way u want I still work my *kitten* of at the gym and try to eat healthy all the time with slow progress and it still lingers in my mind that maybe I don't have the genetics for it and I'm allowed to say what's in my mind last I checked. :/

In that case be a rebel - that someone your family can look-up to and say "We can do it. It's possible. She did it".

You may or may not get that chiseled 6 pack ab look but you gotta think outside the box. Take a different route b'coz if plan A doesn't work there are 25 other letters waiting.

And yes it's okay to say whatever one wants in America but it's absolutely OK in America to challenge that opinion.

Good Luck.
  • Valolden
    Valolden Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You said your body fat is 24%, but the weight you gave is normal and your ticker says your goal is to lose two pounds. I would suggest that you consider switching to maintenance and focus on strength training. You have age on your side to help you recomposition (meaning you'll stay about the same weight while losing fat and building muscle).
    That measument is off because I weighed myself with a fitbit scale a month ago because it's at my boyfriends house in the UK. I'm not actually sure how much weight I need to lose to obtain a tight stomach/hips tbh. When I got assessed I had a BFP of around 25%.
    I just used my mom's mechanical scale there and it said I was 8.1 stone? I guess that's something! I don't have calipers so I can't say about body fat %.. I have lost some weight around my stomach and hips since I started, but there's still that little bit extra that's really difficult to shift. I thought it was my sugar intake, but from what you and everyone else here says is the main factor of losing fat is caloric deficit, I was gonna give it a shot. I am focusing on strength training but if it's about maintenance then I could try it. I could post a pic, if that would help?
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Looking at all the flabby pears in my family, sometimes i think i just don't have the genetics for it :(

My family carries their weight in their belly. I "don't have the genetics for it" plus I had kids. It's okay to say that the effort required to have a flat stomach or low body fat isn't worth it, but genetics doesn't mean you can never have it.

Here I thought it was okay to say whatever I want in America. My thoughts are legitimate even if you think your wording of everything is perfect. It can be discouraging to have an entire family with no fit people, especially when it's a very large family. So you can call me lazy in whatever backhanded way u want I still work my *kitten* of at the gym and try to eat healthy all the time with slow progress and it still lingers in my mind that maybe I don't have the genetics for it and I'm allowed to say what's in my mind last I checked. :/

In that case be a rebel - that someone your family can look-up to and say "We can do it. It's possible. She did it".

You may or may not get that chiseled 6 pack ab look but you gotta think outside the box. Take a different route b'coz if plan A doesn't work there are 25 other letters waiting.

And yes it's okay to say whatever one wants in America but it's absolutely OK in America to challenge that opinion.

Good Luck.

I agree. That's why I'm always posting on here to get new ideas... tips on how to get healthy meals or quick workouts when you work long hours, etc. I was just posting what makes me discouraged just like others do. I didn't say it was impossible with my genetics, i just said i sometimes look at my family and feel that way. Some people have genetics that make it alot easier. The fact that I have to work alot harder can be frustrating. I don't see what's abnormal about that.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good Luck.

I agree. That's why I'm always posting on here to get new ideas... tips on how to get healthy meals or quick workouts when you work long hours, etc. I was just posting what makes me discouraged just like others do. I didn't say it was impossible with my genetics, i just said i sometimes look at my family and feel that way. Some people have genetics that make it alot easier. The fact that I have to work alot harder can be frustrating. I don't see what's abnormal about that.

Just for you posting my old pic. I rarely get this pic out. I'm at peace with that person in the pic and it's RIP.

I come from a family that called themselves "big boned, diabetic and cholesterol" and that's why in my original comment I said "be someone your family can look up to" rather than you looking at anyone and adding a reason to why something can't be achieved.

OP, Sorry for hijacking the thread. And now back to "I want a nice stomach."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Genetics are a factor, I am not denying that, but how do you know someone has genetics that make it 'a lot easier'? That's a big assumption when you do not know people's circumstances. Seeing the current avi of the poster above -would you think they had 'good genetics' or would not have to work really really hard to get to a low body fat?

We all have our personal challenges along the way - I do not think anyone (or at least most) have it easy. We just need to take them on board and forge ahead in the best way we can.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And they are allowed to voice their opinions or corrections as they want to. And you took what was said way too personally, not to mention inserted insult where there absolutely was none. :indifferent:
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

And they are allowed to voice their opinions or corrections as they want to. And you took what was said way too personally, not to mention inserted insult where there absolutely was none. :indifferent:

Well at least you'll know, and be fine with I'm sure, why a lot of newbies get uncomfortable and leave. You cant even post that you feel discouraged or people will jump down your throat about how it's not ok to have those thoughts and u have to think like all the perfect fitness people who have the correct thoughts and you're not even allowed to take that a certain, way, u have to be told how to feel about posts too :neutral:

Not that I'm new. i know i just have to try and focus on the positive and encouraging responses.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Well at least you'll know, and be fine with I'm sure, why a lot of newbies get uncomfortable and leave. You cant even post that you feel discouraged or people will jump down your throat about how it's not ok to have those thoughts and u have to think like all the perfect fitness people who have the correct thoughts and you're not even allowed to take that a certain, way, u have to be told how to feel about posts too :neutral:

Not that I'm new. i know i just have to try and focus on the positive and encouraging responses.

No one jumped down your throat because you felt discouraged. They simply pointed out the flawed thinking in regards to your genetics comment. And that should be something you or any newbie should appreciate because it helps to know that some old ways of thinking are incorrect. (Old ways of thinking meaning that you can't overcome certain genetic issues, especially in regards to weight/body fat %).
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Good Luck.

Genetics are a factor, I am not denying that, but how do you know someone has genetics that make it 'a lot easier'? That's a big assumption when you do not know people's circumstances. Seeing the current avi of the poster above -would you think they had 'good genetics' or would not have to work really really hard to get to a low body fat?

We all have our personal challenges along the way - I do not think anyone (or at least most) have it easy. We just need to take them on board and forge ahead in the best way we can.

Generally I'm referring to the people who eat like crazy and don't work out but dont gaim

Good Luck.

I certainly don't think all people who are thin have it easy. Generally I'm referring to people who eat junk all the time and don't exercise AT ALL and have thin parents and they're thin, though often I see it catches up with them. a girl was talking to me in the locker room this weekend. Literally tiny, like 5 '1, size zero. she had to skip her work out to meet some friends and I told her I didn't think she needed it so it was okay. And she said she works out 7 days a week, and that her friends always say they don't notice a difference because she's always been skinny all her life, but she says now she's starting to have muscle definition and not just be skinny. But then she said she tried meeting with the trainer and she hates them because they push her to work hard and sweat and all of that and she wants to work out at a leisurely pace so that its Fun. I count calories, workout regularly, etc and after a week lose 2 pounds and feel like I'm working harder and harder not having fun, and running on a treadmill or doing TRX or pushups or things using your own body weight or most things are super hard when you're over 250 pounds. So theres certain specific people that i think have it easier than me in terms of genetics. I realize that's like but doesn't make me any less frustrated to say that's life.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Generally I'm referring to the people who eat like crazy and don't work out but dont gaim

Good Luck.

I certainly don't think all people who are thin have it easy. Generally I'm referring to people who eat junk all the time and don't exercise AT ALL and have thin parents and they're thin, though often I see it catches up with them. a girl was talking to me in the locker room this weekend. Literally tiny, like 5 '1, size zero. she had to skip her work out to meet some friends and I told her I didn't think she needed it so it was okay. And she said she works out 7 days a week, and that her friends always say they don't notice a difference because she's always been skinny all her life, but she says now she's starting to have muscle definition and not just be skinny. But then she said she tried meeting with the trainer and she hates them because they push her to work hard and sweat and all of that and she wants to work out at a leisurely pace so that its Fun. I count calories, workout regularly, etc and after a week lose 2 pounds and feel like I'm working harder and harder not having fun, and running on a treadmill or doing TRX or pushups or things using your own body weight or most things are super hard when you're over 250 pounds. So theres certain specific people that i think have it easier than me in terms of genetics. I realize that's like but doesn't make me any less frustrated to say that's life.

More often than not, those people who "eat like crazy" just simply don't eat like crazy.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

More often than not, those people who "eat like crazy" just simply don't eat like crazy.

Agreed, you may see them eat like crazy but im sure they dont do it all the time even if they tell you they do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

It sounds like you are putting in a lot of hard work, but there is a chance you could work out smarter as well. Plus, two pounds weight loss per week is a lot.

Comparison is the thief of happiness. Stop comparing where you are and where someone else is. Be proud of the accomplishments and progress you are making without worrying about others.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Why do you focus so much energy on things you can't change?
    Are you frustrated by richer, prettier, smarter, funnier people?

My 10 year old asks me why her sister has a bigger slice of cake.
    She's learning to mind her own plate.

The whole fitness thing is about achieving the potential of your own genetics, not some random strangers.
    I'm sure you can find enough people that are worse off than you if you really need to spend time comparing "genetics".
  • Jozzmenia
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

The whole fitness thing is about achieving the potential of your own genetics, not some random strangers.
    I'm sure you can find enough people that are worse off than you if you really need to spend time comparing "genetics".

I didn't think i focused that much energy on it i was just explaining what sometimes frustrates me, a practice that some apparently want banned. I wish i could be sorry that it bothers you so much.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

It sounds like you are putting in a lot of hard work, but there is a chance you could work out smarter as well. Plus, two pounds weight loss per week is a lot.

Comparison is the thief of happiness. Stop comparing where you are and where someone else is. Be proud of the accomplishments and progress you are making without worrying about others.

I agree. I started working out with a trainer. All that stuff that uses your own body weight is soooooo hard but getting easier. I feel like if I'm not dying I'm not working hard enough.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

I didn't think i focused that much energy on it i was just explaining what sometimes frustrates me, a practice that some apparently want banned. I wish i could be sorry that it bothers you so much.

I wish you could understand when people are taking time out of their days to offer you advice that would improve your outlook.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

But not okay for her to respond? I'm pretty sure "'Murrka" covers her speech too.

Well, I mean, if the first amendment had anything to do with any "right" to say whatever you want on a privately owned message board without possibility of dissenting rebuttals...which it doesn't.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Not a single person is attacking your "American" (sic) rights to post (lol) or wants you or your post banned - but in the same sense of open expression you really shouldn't be surprised if it illicits a response. No amount of passive aggressive responses or victim card playing is going to reduce that on these boards.

The recommendation remains and is valid with regards to the thread topic - your genetic potential to have a flat stomach, abs, muscle, what not, is likely best served when you focus on what you can do and don't dwell in frustration on factors you can't change. I admit, sometimes it is incredibly hard but it's a different type of mental exercise that is needed to lead to an additional emotional success that is just as important as the abs one might want to achieve, in my opinion.