wearing Fitbit on ankle?

Options
Sorry if I sound ignorant or not very knowledgeable, it's probably because I don't know that much.

I ordered a Fitbit Charge HR, and I should have it within the next couple of days. I'm very excited and I've been trying to read a lot about it. I know how it works, but it seems like things can get complicated, and have seen a lot of people complaining about overestimating, underestimating, solutions that work and those that don't...

So here's my question: would it work better if I wore it on my ankle?
In one discussion thread someone said that's where he wears his and it's pretty accurate.
-I was thinking by wearing it on the ankle the step could would be accurate, and the arm swings wouldn't add additional calories.
-I tend to talk with my hands, so I'm thinking that could make it think that I'm burning more calories. I'm a teacher, so when we go back to school, I'll be standing in front of my class talking, using my hands, I won't be exercising, but I think Fitbit my think I am.
- When I walk, I often don't use my right arm, I'm either holding unto my dogs' leash, or holding my purse, etc, although I could wear it on my left.
- Let's say I'm cleaning, washing dishes, vacuum cleaning, my arm will be working a lot but I wouldn't be burning too much calories. If it's on my feet, I think it would be more accurate.

Please let me know, and sorry if this is a silly question.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    FitBit tends to adjust to you over a couple of weeks. I don't see why it wouldn't qork, but if you change your mind and start wearing it on your wrist, I believe you'll have some inaccuracy until it adjusts.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The newer activity trackers are very reliable, even for the biggest hand-talker. I love mine and have found I can wave it around and even try to add steps by shaking it and it doesn't count them!

(not to mention wearing it on the ankle might not look like an activity tracker... If you know what I mean!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it's designed to go around your wrist

it's an HR tracker and needs the pulse point

another reason I prefer the zip
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    FitBit specifically states that they do not recommend wearing it on your ankle.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    It has settings for dominant vs. non-dominant hand. As for the step counting, I believe it does it by sensing the impact. It is possible to rack up steps by swinging your arm, but you have to do it with force for it to count them. Normal arm movements won't do it.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually wear it on my non dominant wrist (left) but set to dominate so I don't get credit for steps I don't take.

I do wear it on my ankle when I go grocery shopping or I'm pushing my 1.5 year old in a stoller....since it won't count steps when I'm pushing a shopping cart or a stoller.

I've checked that the accuracy is close by wearing my fitbit one at the same time. It's pretty close. And my heart rate seems consistent with what I'm doing...usually just walking so it's in the 90's to 120's. Which is the same if I were warring it in my wrist.

I don't wear it all day like that though. Just maybe an hour here or there.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it does count steps when your arms arent swinging. it truly does. however, as to accuracy, mine alerted me that i reached my 10k steps the other night while i was sitting at my computer...so, you have to take it all with +/- of accuracy. its good but not perfect. (i have the surge and if i wore it on my ankle, i truly would feel like i was under house arrest. its enormous)
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love my Charge HR but I have two gripes: the three steps into my house do not a 'flight of stairs' make but Fitbit says it does.
    The other gripe is the screen was VERY easy to scratch. Very very. So I ordered a set of screen protectors from Amazon, and they work like a phone cover. Get a multi pack because you'll be brushing this against clothes, bags, etc, and they will peel up. Put the protector on it when you first get it. I got a nasty scratch on my screen in the first 6 hours.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit flex that was so inaccurate (it never "adjusted" as someone suggested), I eventually just trashed it. If you are looking for your heart rate - you need to wear it at a pulse point (wrist). If you are looking for accurate steps - you may want to try it on your ankle. I found that talking with my hands, scrubbing the stove, hammering a nail - all added steps to the Fitbit. My real suggestion - cancel the order and get another brand.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options

ammp wrote: »
    Love my Charge HR but I have two gripes: the three steps into my house do not a 'flight of stairs' make but Fitbit says it does.
    The other gripe is the screen was VERY easy to scratch. Very very. So I ordered a set of screen protectors from Amazon, and they work like a phone cover. Get a multi pack because you'll be brushing this against clothes, bags, etc, and they will peel up. Put the protector on it when you first get it. I got a nasty scratch on my screen in the first 6 hours.

My Fitbit does the opposite - it doesn't count flights of stairs. I live on the second floor in an apartment, and I can go up and down 5x in a day, and it'll tell me that I've climbed one flight. I agree with the scratching. I was pretty upset at first, but it hasn't affected the ability to read the screen, so I'm over it. It really should be tougher to scratch, though.
    besaro wrote: »
    however, as to accuracy, mine alerted me that i reached my 10k steps the other night while i was sitting at my computer...so, you have to take it all with +/- of accuracy.

I haven't had that happen. I wore my Fitbit Charge HR along with my old, cheap hip pedometer one day for a 45 minute walk, and the Fitbit gave me 2,500 less steps, so I don't worry about it giving me too many. I do mentally subtract 10% from the total daily calories burned that it gives me just for peace of mind, but since I haven't actually tried eating all of those calories, I don't know if that's necessary or not.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're over thinking things. Use it how it's intended to be used (on your wrist, as an activity monitor) and understand that all this calorie counting stuff (both cals in and cals out) are just a series of estimates.

Any increase you see from talking with your hands is going to be insignificant. Any "lost" cals from moving with stationary arms will be insignificant. If you think about it... a hard workout lasting 1 hour will burn 600 cals, and probably not even that. That's going at a high intensity consistently for an hour. How much do you think you're burning walking around a grocery store? I'm not saying you aren't burning cals, I'm just saying that things like that are insignificant in the bigger picture.

For most, "accuracy" is far more dependent on your consistency than it is on a particular method.
  • tanyamclattenburg
    tanyamclattenburg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wear mine on my non-dominant wrist by default but when I sleep at night, I put it on my ankle. Gives my wrists a breather and still allows me to track my sleep movement.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I was tempted to do this when grocery shopping because having my hand on the cart causes it not to register steps. Unfortunately, I can't fit mine around my ankle.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    You're over thinking things. Use it how it's intended to be used (on your wrist, as an activity monitor) and understand that all this calorie counting stuff (both cals in and cals out) are just a series of estimates. For most, "accuracy" is far more dependent on your consistency than it is on a particular method.

Agreed... IMO fitbit is the best tracker out there... they all are going to have faults, just use it as it is intended and see how it works for you... after a month or two you decide to switch it up then fine but at least give it a shot the way its intended.

I really love how my fitbit calculated my TDEE and helps me know when I've gone over budget or I'm under and need to eat a bit more... if nothing else my fitbit challenges me to get more steps every day, find more ways to get "active minutes" and shows me just how light a sleeper I am :smiley:
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It's designed to be worn on the wrist. If you have a good reason to not wear it on your wrist (not allowed at work, for instance) then you can perhaps wear it on your ankle, taking reassurance from the fact that some people have experimented with wearing it on their ankle and said it seems reasonably accurate. However, that is anecdotal - it hasn't actually been studied.

It does not count arm swings, so don't worry about holding onto books, dog leashes, purses, etc. Fitbit has to filter out arm swing movement to detect the acceleration generated by a step. Yes, it will miss some steps that it should count and count some arm movements it shouldn't, but it evens out. Especially since Fitbit takes into account the intensity of the step when computing calories. A missed step won't have been intense enough to count for much calorie burn and a "phantom" step from daily activities probably won't be very intense, either. It's best not to obsess over your exact step count and trust Fitbit to have figured it out for the most part.

Pushing shopping carts is the one activity where I worry about it missing steps. I try to push one-handed when I can. Another option is to turn off the HR function and put it in your pocket, but I almost lost mine once doing that. (You do need to turn OFF the HR function because it will get really wild, really inaccurate HR readings in your pocket.)

Yes, the screen scratches more easily than would be ideal. A cautious swipe with a little acetone or a rub of toothpaste with a Q-Tip will help if your screen is hard to read. For some reason, I had more trouble with this when it was new. Now that I've had mine for almost a year, I don't seem to get bad scratches much any more.

Stair climbing counts are unreliable - at best. On a windy day I can get 100 flights just walking around the house, without going near the stairs. Other times, it completely misses it when I do climb a flight of stairs. So, I set my daily stair goal to 1, and ignore it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ammp wrote: »

My Fitbit does the opposite - it doesn't count flights of stairs. I live on the second floor in an apartment, and I can go up and down 5x in a day, and it'll tell me that I've climbed one flight.

Do you stop on the stairs? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34950765/#Comment_34950765
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I was tempted to do this when grocery shopping because having my hand on the cart causes it not to register steps. Unfortunately, I can't fit mine around my ankle.

That. I realized some time ago that it does not track when I am in the store. Sometimes I will push the basket with one hand or I intentionally leave my basket and walk down the aisle to get what I need and go back to the basket. Otherwise, I just chalk it up to knowing that I have walked in a store for however many minutes.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Interesting. I keep moving, but I do have to turn because the stairs are in a Z shape, so maybe that midpoint is enough to throw it off?
  • xysters
    xysters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr and wear it on my ankle when riding my bike. It might not count all the steps, but it is better then wearing on my wrist when biking. It also keeps my heart rate on my ankle. I wear it inside my socks.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, very informative, although of course a lot of people will have very different opinions. But I get it, it doesn't seem beneficial to be wearing it on my ankle. And no, I don't want to look like I'm on house arrest, especially since I'm a teacher at a school where quite a few of my students are on it lol.

I'm not that worried about grocery shopping accuracy because that doesn't take up that much of my time and the calories I'd be burning don't amount to much.
    But I do walk my dogs every day, I have 2 German shepherds and I'm holding both leashes in my right hand. They walk very nicely, but I have to hold the leash with a strong grip (2 dogs equal to 170 lbs) so that arm doesn't swing. I guess maybe during that time I could put it on my left wrist? When I jog with just the one dog my arm can swing, so it's ok.

Most of my exercise calories come from taking Zumba, about 3-4 times / week, (and of course walking, and I'm gonna really start jogging regularly), and I assume with Zumba and the heart rate monitor, it should be pretty accurate.