Free Weights vs. Machines?

Options
I'm a cardio junkie but I'm coming to the realization that I need to start lifting to achieve the body I want. I found a circuit routine(?) with free weights that looks interesting to me (includes things like reverse lunge w/ overhead press, dumbbell swing, deadlift w/ front row, etc.) Is there a big difference in doing something like that and using the machines at the gym?

The gym I go to is always pretty crowded near the weight machines so if I can do the circuit training at home and get the results I want, that would be awesome.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a significant difference between free weights and machines? Yes. Is one inherently better than another? No. There are pros and cons to each... use the one that is best suited to your goals and ability.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A balanced machine program will take a lot longer than a compound movement, free weight program. Machines are basically all single-muscle movements. Free weights let you workout dozens of muscles with one lift. You need to do 3 or 4 machines to equal the workout of a single compound lift. Some small muscles - like stabilizers - can't be worked with machines at all.

Compound movements done with free weights also tend to be more "functional", that is, they mimic movements you do in real life. That will help you in your day-to-day life and reduce the chance of injury.

The key to any strength program, machines or free weights, is progression. You need to keep adding weight in order to make progress.

I'm not sure the weights you have at home are going to be heavy enough to do you much good. If all you have are light dumbbells, you'll quickly plateau and your workout will become just another cardio program. You're probably stronger than you think, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can already deadlift 100 pounds. If you don't have a barbell and a bunch of plates available, you may need to go to the gym to take advantage of their free weights.

Another option is to do a bodyweight strength program at home. Look into the book "You Are Your Own Gym", which also has a app to help guide you through the program.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    A balanced machine program will take a lot longer than a compound movement, free weight program. Machines are basically all single-muscle movements. Free weights let you workout dozens of muscles with one lift. You need to do 3 or 4 machines to equal the workout of a single compound lift. Some small muscles - like stabilizers - can't be worked with machines at all.

Compound movements done with free weights also tend to be more "functional", that is, they mimic movements you do in real life. That will help you in your day-to-day life and reduce the chance of injury.

The key to any strength program, machines or free weights, is progression. You need to keep adding weight in order to make progress.

I'm not sure the weights you have at home are going to be heavy enough to do you much good. If all you have are light dumbbells, you'll quickly plateau and your workout will become just another cardio program. You're probably stronger than you think, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can already deadlift 100 pounds. If you don't have a barbell and a bunch of plates available, you may need to go to the gym to take advantage of their free weights.

Another option is to do a bodyweight strength program at home. Look into the book "You Are Your Own Gym", which also has a app to help guide you through the program.

Awesome. That is very helpful. Thank you!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I'm not sure the weights you have at home are going to be heavy enough to do you much good."

A set of adjustable dumbbells will go from 5 #s to 50#s to start with additions to 90 pounds per hand. This should be sufficient for a while ;-). I like the PowerBlocks. FitnessBlender.com will give you many programs to use with and without those dumbbells at home.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Free weights for me; I like compound lifts. However, I'm injured now, so I'm doing lower body machines because something is better than nothing. Both options have their place.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "I'm not sure the weights you have at home are going to be heavy enough to do you much good."

A set of adjustable dumbbells will go from 5 #s to 50#s to start with additions to 90 pounds per hand. This should be sufficient for a while ;-). I like the PowerBlocks. FitnessBlender.com will give you many programs to use with and without those dumbbells at home.

Yeah, I have an adjustable set. I'm planning to start low to get alignment correct and get comfortable with the movements and then move up.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you lift alone, machines may be better as they are normally safer. However, you will get more out of free weights as they require stabilization of the weight as well. However, you have already made the most important move and that is including weight lifting into your routine. Nicely done!
  • lbinkley35
    lbinkley35 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agreed in the free weights it is easier on your body because you control the weight not the other way around and you get a better workout. It's a small learning curve on doing it correctly but it pays off.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Any kind of muscle resistance training strengthens and builds muscle but like TieriusClaudis said with free weights you get more out of it as they require stabilization of the weight as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is always pretty crowded near the weight machines so if I can do the circuit training at home and get the results I want, that would be awesome.

What, specifically, are the result you want?
  • Gologol2016
    Gologol2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a note of caution if you go the machine route. If you go machine, and then switch to free weights later, you may have issues with your form. For reason's I won't explain I could only do my squatting in a Smith machine. I just transitioned to a new gym with a power rack. I noticed form issues right away that were machine conditioned.
  • kevin_bvbfan
    kevin_bvbfan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of crossfit type of programming and circuits at home. I have a small bench, a mix of dumbbells and kettlebells. Machines are good also, but I prefer free weights. I think free weights forces you to focus more on proper form without injury
  • priscillabecho
    priscillabecho Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's good to get the best out of both worlds. I like to switch it up sometimes
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have an adjustable set. I'm planning to start low to get alignment correct and get comfortable with the movements and then move up.

Good plan! I try to use both machines and free weights, and change it up a bit each week. At some point I hope to move more toward the free weights and use fewer machines.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Free weights should be the base of a good strength program, but machines have their place. For example, if someone were to do a chest day, a routine might go like this: start with a bench press, then some incline bench, then some dumbbell flys. After that, doing some high rep machine chest presses and flies can be a good way to finish things up.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you lift alone, machines may be better as they are normally safer. However, you will get more out of free weights as they require stabilization of the weight as well. However, you have already made the most important move and that is including weight lifting into your routine. Nicely done!

Nothing could be more wrong than this. There is nothing inherently dangerous about solo barbell training, and even less so in a public gym. The most dangerous lift is the bench press, and all of that risk is mitigated with setting safeties in a power cage correctly.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    I like to do a mix of machines and free weights. For instance, I find that squats with free weights really hurts my knees (no matter the weight). So, I use a leg press machine, doing 3 sets of 15 reps with my legs in different positions. But, I find biceps/triceps/shoulders more effective with free weights.

If you are using a gym, I highly recommend using personal training services for 1-3 sessions. The trainer can help you establish a routine that works for you and make sure you are using proper form. They can also suggest resistance workouts that can be done without weights that will help work muscles and give you greater flexibility in your workout options.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm biased toward free weights over machines & don't really enjoy machine cardio. I enjoy circuit style training using a mix of bodyweight & free weight exercises.
    I workout solo most of the time. I use barbells, Dumbbells & kettlebells. For chest presses I mostly use Dumbbells or kettlebells only because I don't like how/where to bar sits for me in a power cage it's just not comfortable for me. One exception is occasionally I'll do a one arm chest press using the barbell only but my non working hand is ready to take/assist with the barbell if needed.