Open vs. closed diaries

Options
I am noticing that I have friends with open diaries, friends with closed diaries, and friends who have their diaries open sometimes, and closed other times. Right now my diary is open.

My question for you all, is, what motivates you to keep your diary open? Does it scare you or make you feel uncomfortable that people may judge what you eat? How much or little you eat?

Why do you keep your diaries closed? Are you worried someone might think you eat too little? Too unhealthily? Or do you just thing it's nobodies dang business (wouldn't argue with you there! though mine is open now)

For those of you who have your diary open sometimes and not other times, what determines why you decide to keep it open or closed?

Mostly just curious about what's going on in people's brains.

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I had my diary closed at first just because it was the default setting. I wanted to use a spreadsheet I found online that pulled data from your log, so I opened it up.

I left it open because I decided that I really don't care what other people think about what I eat. I am losing weight marvelously, and if the junk I sometimes eat shows somebody that you don't have to eat perfectly to lose weight, I'm happy. Also, I discovered that it's fascinating to read what other people eat everyday, especially those from abroad. Since I'm a self-admitted diary snoop, I think it's only fair that I reciprocate!

I've seen some people complain that with open diaries they get PMs from people they don't know criticizing their food, but that hasn't happened to me and I would just ignore/block anyone who bothered me with crap like that.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed, tho I'm not 100% sure why. Part of the reason is I'm very introverted, hell I barely even update my feed with my updates. I guess I'm a little social media phobic, I don't even have a facebook :o

I do log almost every single day and if I have ever had any problems with losing weight, I'd open my diary for perusal.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Closed, I don't require any critique or advice from anyone on what to eat so no need to open it up.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary closed because it's no ones business what I eat lol. I'm not one bit embarrassed by my food diary and nor do I worry about being judged, but what I eat or what my calories/macros are set to are what is right for me, and not necessarily for the next person.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I'm sure that people are judging it, whatevs, judge away!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Closed, I don't require any critique or advice from anyone on what to eat so no need to open it up.

This is why my diary is private. My food is my business and I don't want unwanted critique or advice.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I had my diary open. I have recently closed it because I feel I'm not 100% honest with myself when it is open, especially over the holidays. Actually lost a couple friends over it... but I have to do what is right for me!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. There's been a few times where I would get into a debate with someone, and they would say something along the lines of "well you went over your calories three days ago, so your claims are invalid/you had a Big Mac five Sundays ago and not eating a 100% clean non-GMO diet, so I'm better than you" as a way to pathetically win an argument. Closing my diary prevents those headaches from occurring (why would anyone care what I ate yesterday?).
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    open. dont care what anyone else thinks of my choices.
  • tatiannajanel
    tatiannajanel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My diary has always been open. I don't care what others think about my eating habits because this app is for me to be aware of what I'm putting in my body. But I must admit that I love looking at other people's diaries. It gives me so many ideas on what I could eat too.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I dont give a *kitten*... if ppl wanna look, be my guest
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use MFP specifically for logging and motivation therefore the need to have it open is not necessary.
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Closed because I've done some form of logging since late October but my diary is just *wierd*. When it was open, I just tried to make myself look better even if I overate that day. Also because I like food, so my calorie goal is set a bit higher than someone for my height should be.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. As an example of how not to eat clean and still lose weight/maintain.
  • H4Life_2016
    H4Life_2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My diary was open at once, but now I decided to keep it private. I feel that people really don't care what you eat verses exercising.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if people want to judge me by what i eat, they can look at the 73 pounds I've lost and shove it ;)

in fact, the reason WHY i leave mine open is so people can see you can eat out, eat 'normal', drink and have chocolate, and still lose weight.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been open, since I know people like to look at diaries for ideas and I don't care at all what others think of my diet. I probably eat more junk than most on MFP, but I've never had someone criticize me for it.

I have it closed right now though, only because in the past week or so I've been having stomach issues so I haven't been eating much. I don't want someone looking at my diary thinking I usually undereat.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only, which I started when I took on a few "noobs" from the adopt a noob thread last year. I wanted people to see that you can eat all kinds of things and still lose weight; that you can have good and bad days and it doesn't have to mean the end of your goals.

I have been having some tummy issues for the past few months, so I may close my diary so I can use the notes section to document some TMI types of information about my symptoms. Discussing bodily functions or getting into medical issues is where I draw the line for sharing!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is all great info!

It makes me think about how it would be great if the diary had a little comments section like "felt sick today, couldn't eat much." or WHATEVER, not just for others, but for ourselves.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I had my diary open. I have recently closed it because I feel I'm not 100% honest with myself when it is open, especially over the holidays. Actually lost a couple friends over it... but I have to do what is right for me!

^^This

It is purely psychological for me. Although my trainer was reviewing my food logs weekly when I first started working with him, and I was always 100% honest. IDK why, but on this site I have to keep it closed.