What are your fav brands for cold weather walks/running?

Options
Im freezing ha ha :P I need to buy some things so I can leave the house. Please share your fav cold weather clothing brands! Links would be amazing ;)

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    In because, even tho I live in California, it *does* get cold here, people! :)
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Sorry, this is completely unrelated to the OP question, but I wanted to tell you I love your picture quote.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I live in southern Oregon :) And it is too cold for me right now ha ha :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Happymom83 wrote: »
    Im freezing ha ha :P I need to buy some things so I can leave the house. Please share your fav cold weather clothing brands! Links would be amazing ;)

Winter clothing for exercising outside? I just wear lots of layers. The Feels Like temperature was 18 degrees F today and I was still good with my sneakers and thicker socks. I'll be switching to my LLBean hiking boots soon.

I wore pajama pants under jeans, and a t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, turtle neck, flannel shirt, heavy hoodie, and a hat.
  • kshama2001
    Options

What's the lowest cold and the average cold? People in S Florida think it's cold when it gets lower than 70 degrees F and break out the furry boots.
  • glassyo
    Options

Sorry, this is completely unrelated to the OP question, but I wanted to tell you I love your picture quote.

Awwww thanks. I've gotten into the whole female superhero thing and then saw the quote (I think on a t shirt) and I didn't think it was appropriate to use my normal Matt Smith/Arthur Darville bromancey avatar on here so.... :)

• Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love my Columbia pants with "foil" like material inside; smartwood socks; I wear a water bottle belt, and as I take off layers I drape over belt. I usually wear an under athletic type shirt, a fleece sweatshirt and a warm underarmour vest. I open and close zippers, take off various layers and put back on depending on shade/sun, wind, etc. I have a pair of running gloves with have mittens that fit over the finger part. They latch together with a little toggle so I can hang them over my water belt too. A hat is very important for me -- I like underarmour fleece stocking hat.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Posting because I wear layers, but my cheeks got chapped in the 5 F weather this weekend. I am looking at a Balaclava hood with lower face mask. But I'm not committed to any brand so far.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it drops below 30 degrees my butt is staying inside.

just sayin.... LOLL ;)

actually last winter i think my cut off was 25.

cold is all in your perception and what youre used to.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not a brand but for suggestions what layers to wear when running, would this site help?
    dressmyrun.com
    It suggests clothing according to the current conditions in your location.

Or this one (I actually like it more because you can specify if you prefer to feel warmer or cooler):
    runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I love my Columbia pants with "foil" like material inside; smartwood socks; I wear a water bottle belt, and as I take off layers I drape over belt. I usually wear an under athletic type shirt, a fleece sweatshirt and a warm underarmour vest. I open and close zippers, take off various layers and put back on depending on shade/sun, wind, etc. I have a pair of running gloves with have mittens that fit over the finger part. They latch together with a little toggle so I can hang them over my water belt too. A hat is very important for me -- I like underarmour fleece stocking hat.

I need to get a hat and gloves for sure! Thank you for all the info ;)
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies :) Looking forward to more also :p
  • glassyo
    Options
    Ok fine. My cut off is like 45 degrees. :p

This is what I do for now. I wear a long sleeve thermal shirt under a hanes sweatshirt under a hoodie and thermal pants under sweatpants. I also have a pair of gloves (cheapo from Target) so my fingers don't freeze.

I just bought a puffer jacket from Walmart but haven't worn it outside yet. I tried it on inside and it seemed cozy but I don't want to take the tags off unless I plan on keeping it because I bought it specifically for outside.

My big thing is the wind and the rain. Mostly the wind. Or if it's raining hard. I've basically become a wimp. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ok fine. My cut off is like 45 degrees. :p

This is what I do for now. I wear a long sleeve thermal shirt under a hanes sweatshirt under a hoodie and thermal pants under sweatpants. I also have a pair of gloves (cheapo from Target) so my fingers don't freeze.

I just bought a puffer jacket from Walmart but haven't worn it outside yet. I tried it on inside and it seemed cozy but I don't want to take the tags off unless I plan on keeping it because I bought it specifically for outside.

My big thing is the wind and the rain. Mostly the wind. Or if it's raining hard. I've basically become a wimp. :)

thats why i joined a gym. it eliminated weather related excuses LOLOLOL

ironically as much as i hate cold, its only in the winter when i go for jogs. im not going out in the heat LOLOLOL
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Happymom83 Great answers from everyone. We are all unique with different metabolism and personal Body Quirks ( Cold Left Thumb due to a teenage misadventure) so what works for one person will be a disaster for someone else.
    This topic has been asked and answered at least twice a year, here are a few links to a few of them.
    Running-and-Exposure-to-cold, Running-in-Cold-Weather/pg3, Search for Running Clothes in Winter .
    The Runners World online guide is pretty good. Again you will find that your needs will be slightly different than they show. There is a member in our local Running Club who keeps a Weather/Clothing Log in the Back of her Running Journal that she refers back to all the time. Temperature - Wind - Clothing - Was I Warm/Cold etc.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    For some reason the difference between celsius and fahrenheit just won't combine to make sense for me. But I went out on the one day we've had freezing (celsius) temperatures here and it was my favourite! And I didn't layer, just a long sleeve top, long running leggings, regular everything else.

I do have some running gloves, a head band and jacket on standby but it would have to get pretty darn cold for me to wear all of it because I hate being too hot when I'm running. Maybe it's the hardy Scot in me that hasn't been completely diminished by living in London for a long time.
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky about brands, but when it gets cold for running I love these
    High-quality-unisex-outdoor-sports-cycling-headband-headwear-windbreak-thermal-fleece-font-b-earmuffs-b-font.jpg
    My ears are always the coldest thing and never seem to warm up. After than I would say gloves.

I always warm up way more than I thought I would running, so that long leggings and a windbreaker are enough for me for all the rest.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Layers are key for me. Glove with mittens, hat or head band with hood, and jacket over hoodie. In Nebraska the wind makes keeping warm challenging. Today it was sunny, windy with temperatures just below freezing. I needed to cover my nose and mouth when walking into the wind but was fine without when the wind was at my back.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Zellyrus wrote: »
    I'm not picky about brands, but when it gets cold for running I love these
    High-quality-unisex-outdoor-sports-cycling-headband-headwear-windbreak-thermal-fleece-font-b-earmuffs-b-font.jpg
    My ears are always the coldest thing and never seem to warm up. After than I would say gloves.

I always warm up way more than I thought I would running, so that long leggings and a windbreaker are enough for me for all the rest.

My ears were cold today until I flipped my hoodie hood up, and I was thinking about those. You say brand isn't really important?