Is eating 3-4 slices of bread will harm my weight loss???

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.

Yes, I don't find bread especially filling when compared to foods like legumes, which is a staple for all the healthy vegetarians I know.

I don't find bread especially filling on its own, but I'd never eat it on its own. (I am not that into bread, so also won't overeat it anyway. I do find some sandwiches or pasta with vegetables and lean protein perfectly filling.)

I always find it odd how people talk about foods as if they weren't normally eaten in combination with other foods. A good meal is typically a mix of protein, fat, and carbs.

Yes, bread is something I have eaten on its own. Additionally, I find a meal consisting of bread, protein, fat, and veggies less filling than one consisting of a different type of starch and all the rest.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ilyo777 wrote: »
    Carbs don't slow weight loss; it's about calories.

Not strictly true. It's not simply about calories in / calories out.

Many people are becoming insulin resistant over time and they will definitely see a dramatic difference in adopting a low carb strategy. If you're interested in this stuff I highly recommend reading Gary Taube's excellent book Why we get Fat and what to do about it

I think Taubes is full of woo

http://weightology.net/gary-taubes/what-gary-taubes-can-learn-from-evolutionary-theory-an-open-challenge-to-his-hypothesis.html/

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/gary-taubes-and-the-cause-of-obesity/

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/01/book-review-gary-taubes-why-we-get-fat.html

http://2lbsofstarch.com/2015/05/20/gary-taubes-vs-alan-aragon-epic-debate/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.

Yes, I don't find bread especially filling when compared to foods like legumes, which is a staple for all the healthy vegetarians I know.

I don't find bread especially filling on its own, but I'd never eat it on its own. (I am not that into bread, so also won't overeat it anyway. I do find some sandwiches or pasta with vegetables and lean protein perfectly filling.)

I always find it odd how people talk about foods as if they weren't normally eaten in combination with other foods. A good meal is typically a mix of protein, fat, and carbs.

Yes, bread is something I have eaten on its own. Additionally, I find a meal consisting of bread, protein, fat, and veggies less filling than one consisting of a different type of starch and all the rest.

That's going to be personal, though. If OP has trouble staying satisfied she can experiment with changing up her diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Really? Eat bread on it's own? Like you just have a Brioche bun for a snack or something?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Really? Eat bread on it's own? Like you just have a Brioche bun for a snack or something?
    I love eating bread on its own. 3 slices of honey wheat bread works for me. Has to be fresh. Sometimes I might even toast it. I think thats like 12 or more grams of protein. Dont let me get ciabatta bread...thats gone in a hurry

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

People are telling me I won't lose weight because I'm eating too much carbs~

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

I can only do 30 mins of walking

A person can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies... as long as they keep their calories in check. (Obviously a Twinkie diet is far, Far, FAR, and away NOT a healthy diet.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

For me it was freshly baked bread.

I just looked at a diary where someone had a plain english muffin for a snack.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @PeachyCarol and other vegetarians - what are your thoughts on spending lots of calories on bread?
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you burn.
    You do not have to eat a low carb diet to lose weight.
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

1. People are stupid. Stop listening to them.
    2. You don't have to do hours of exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out. Each gram of carbs has 4 calories, each gram of protein has 4 calories, and each gram of fat has 9 calories. A calorie is a calorie. Eat all the carbs you want, as long as you're within your calorie goal.
    3. Why can you only do 30 minutes of walking?
    drdocument wrote: »
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

I never knew protein will get stored as fat~

So proteins are same as carbs they both get stored as fat??

Extra calories will be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if they're calories from protein, fat, or carbs. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you'll gain fat. Period. Simple.

Isn't 30 minutes of exercise enough to lose weight
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

2. You don't have to do hours of exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out. Each gram of carbs has 4 calories, each gram of protein has 4 calories, and each gram of fat has 9 calories. A calorie is a calorie. Eat all the carbs you want, as long as you're within your calorie goal.
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

Extra calories will be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if they're calories from protein, fat, or carbs. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you'll gain fat. Period. Simple.

You can lose weight without exercise.
  • samira8080
    samira8080 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know losing weight without excersize is possible, but is losing weight based on excersize without diet is possible?!!
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    samira8080 wrote: »
    I know losing weight without excersize is possible, but is losing weight based on excersize without diet is possible?!!

Hey Samira... how many profiles do you have?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Besides getting adequate nutrition, I mainly pay attention to calories. I eat bread regularly, but I switched to sandwich thins for sandwiches because I wanted to spend my calories in other ways. Like chocolate and wine. I've been at maintenance for over three years and I've eaten plenty of delicious fresh bread (and butter) and made quite a few grilled cheese sandwiches with fresh sourdough bread.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options

If you're consistently eating less calories than you use in a day, then you'll lose weight. You can't eat more than you burn and expect weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Sure, I've lost weight by ramping up my exercise and not counting a single calorie. I was eating a lot of high volume/lower calorie foods those days. Now that I am cooking higher calorie foods for other people, I prefer to weigh and log my food.

I've also gained weight by going from an active job to a sedentary job and not changing what I ate.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2016
    Options

MFP says someone my height and weight will burn 153 calories by walking 30 minutes, and because MFP calorie burn estimates are inflated, the real number is about half that. That's not a lot of calories. One large egg has 74 calories.

Walking 30 minutes is definitely better than nothing, especially if you do it every day. Why are you limited to 30 minutes? Because of time or because that is all your body can handle right now?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol and other vegetarians - what are your thoughts on spending lots of calories on bread?

My thoughts are... do what works for you. If you find it satiating and it fits your goals? Go for it.

Me personally? I have celiac disease and gluten free bread is not as satisfying and gluten-containing bread. I do, on occasion, like a poached egg on toast, but don't eat bread by itself because gluten free bread isn't all that great.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

My thoughts are... do what works for you. If you find it satiating and it fits your goals? Go for it.

Me personally? I have celiac disease and gluten free bread is not as satisfying and gluten-containing bread. I do, on occasion, like a poached egg on toast, but don't eat bread by itself because gluten free bread isn't all that great.

You aren't joking about the gluten free bread...yuck.
  • kshama2001
    Options

That's right, you don't eat gluten.

I was thinking it would be hard for a vegetarian to get enough protein if they were spending a lot of calories on bread.

• samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

You can lose weight without exercise.

But don't you have go low carb on the days to not exercise??