Open vs. closed diaries

Replies

• BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Closed, mostly because it's personal and as an Intermittent Faster I forgo breakfast and lunch which doesn't mean my diary will be very helpful for anyone trying to eat small snacks to see I ate all my calories in the form of a huge dinner. I also like to pre-plan, usually before I go to bed I have a good idea of all the food I am going to be eating the next day.

On top of this I see some stigma against fasting in this community, and I'd rather not press that button with my friends. I fast because it makes me feel good physically, not for weight loss reasons. I was fasting like this while maintaining my weight, now I'm fasting with a deficit.

On top of this there are days like Christmas for example where I counted my calories on paper but by the time I was home I was too tired to enter every separate thing so I quick entered the number, which doesn't look good but I wanted the number in there so my reports would stay accurate.

TLDR; I have a non conventional eating schedule, it's more for me to track me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »
    My insurance carrier requires I keep my diary public so they and my medical team can monitor my intake without them requiring a MFP account and me having to friend twenty dozen people. The same applies to some of my info on Fitbit. Open is easier for us all. If not for that, I don't know if I'd have it open or closed. Probably open, because I don't care.

I'm frankly shocked at this due to privacy regulations (which I realize don't currently cover MFP and activity tracker accounts, but still). All your health care team would need to do is create one shared account.

But then, I'm the sort of person who doesn't use my real name on FaceBook due to their history of privacy abuses.

It's a little off-topic, but I recently read that fitbit data was being admitted as evidence in litigation. One instance was a guy using his fitbit data to show a decline in activity after a car accident, and another was in a divorce to show that the other person was "active" when they claimed to have been sleeping. ;)

That's fascinating; thanks for sharing.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    My diary is open to everyone, who wants to look feel free. I fail to understand what the big deal is.

For anyone that looks, I am doing calorie cycling. Mondays and Tuesdays are my low calorie days - 1275 calories. Rest of the week my calorie goes and down. As long as I eat 11555 calories for the week, and able to exercise every day - that's my plan.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Mine is closed to the world and my profile is Private (no friends either). Why? Because that is what I prefer.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I know how to lose, maintain and gain weight. It's not rocket science, and I've spent the past 28 years educating myself. The food diary is there for my own benefit, and I use it quite effectively albeit perhaps not in a way that would be easily understandable by others.

See, now I have to ask. how do you use your diary?

Oh it's nothing mysterious. Just simple things -- like if we have a casserole and a salad for dinner I'm more likely to use the "quick add" feature instead of logging individual ingredients. I know the serving amounts and calorie counts on all my regular recipes, and if it's a new recipe that doesn't already include calorie info I use the USDA nutrient database (more trustworthy and quicker to use than MFP, IMO) to figure it out prior to deciding whether or not I want to make that recipe. For salads--I know how many calories are in the things I typically include, so I just tally it up in my head as I prepare it and enter it into MFP as a "quick add" amount. It works for me because I'm not overly concerned with macros and I know it's pretty darn accurate. But it would be of little to no use to anyone looking at it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I know how to lose, maintain and gain weight. It's not rocket science, and I've spent the past 28 years educating myself. The food diary is there for my own benefit, and I use it quite effectively albeit perhaps not in a way that would be easily understandable by others.

Oh it's nothing mysterious. Just simple things -- like if we have a casserole and a salad for dinner I'm more likely to use the "quick add" feature instead of logging individual ingredients. I know the serving amounts and calorie counts on all my regular recipes, and if it's a new recipe that doesn't already include calorie info I use the USDA nutrient database (more trustworthy and quicker to use than MFP, IMO) to figure it out prior to deciding whether or not I want to make that recipe. For salads--I know how many calories are in the things I typically include, so I just tally it up in my head as I prepare it and enter it into MFP as a "quick add" amount. It works for me because I'm not overly concerned with macros and I know it's pretty darn accurate. But it would be of little to no use to anyone looking at it.

Darn, I was hoping for more nefarious reasons or something but that makes sense! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

here i was thinking you wrote it all out in klingon or something lolol
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Mine is open (I think) which I did at one point for accountability, which in retrospect is not a good reason. If someone ever actually said something to me about my food or exercise I would probably not react kindly, and I also don't want to feel like I owe anyone anything or should be embarrassed or proud of what I'm eating, good or bad. It's really just a journal of what goes into my mouth. I think I've gotten to a point where I'm pretty apathetic about any judgment people might have towards what I eat, so open or closed is pretty irrelevant now.

I cook a lot and have a LOT of recipes saved so if there was a way that people could actually click the saved items in my food diary and access the ingredients, that would be cool since I love sharing/finding recipes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member

here i was thinking you wrote it all out in klingon or something lolol

Wouldn't understand a word of it but that would be awesome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    i don't keep a diary anymore, but when i did it was closed for most of the time as that was the default setting. i kept a diary for myself and never required critique nor does having other people be able to look at my diary particularly motivate me in anyway. i really see little point in having an open diary unless you're specifically looking for advice in that area.
  • shut_up_legs
    shut_up_legs Posts: 29 Member
    I think I set mine to open. Only really means anything to me anyway.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I'm pretty sure mine is open to friends. I figure if someone (mostly strangers) want to add me, then they are curious about what I eat. I've checked other people's diaries less than a handful of times in the couple of years I have been on here. I wanted to get meal ideas.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Mine has always been closed but I just opened it to friends on the 1st of this month. No particular reason why. I glance through my friends diaries (the ones that are open) for snack ideas. I figured why not open mine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure mine is open to friends. I figure if someone (mostly strangers) want to add me, then they are curious about what I eat. I've checked other people's diaries less than a handful of times in the couple of years I have been on here. I wanted to get meal ideas.

i never look at my friends, unless they are asking a specific question regarding it
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Mine is closed, no particular reason apart from I am doing OK, I eat boringly, and under most of the week. So cannot close it anyways. I do however use up my allowance come the weekend. This is not a diet for me but a life style.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    I've got nothing to hide. Actually I wish all my friends would log and keep theirs open. It holds me accountable and I love getting ideas as to what others are eating.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I am noticing that I have friends with open diaries, friends with closed diaries, and friends who have their diaries open sometimes, and closed other times. Right now my diary is open.

My question for you all, is, what motivates you to keep your diary open? Does it scare you or make you feel uncomfortable that people may judge what you eat? How much or little you eat?

Why do you keep your diaries closed? Are you worried someone might think you eat too little? Too unhealthily? Or do you just thing it's nobodies dang business (wouldn't argue with you there! though mine is open now)

For those of you who have your diary open sometimes and not other times, what determines why you decide to keep it open or closed?

Mostly just curious about what's going on in people's brains.

I feel like it's my business, and it made me feel weird to think that someone might judge what I eat... or drink... or how often I drink... ehhh
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I do not give two craps what people think about what I eat. Mine is open.

I closed mine once when I was doing what looked like a short term aggressive cut (I was eating more on the weekends). I would have felt comfortable showing it in a bodybuilding community but not here.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    My diary was open for many months but I recently closed it to anyone who is not a friend. Someone decided to go into my diary, after a LCHF debate, and took a screen shot of my diary which they posted with hopes of shaming me. They THOUGHT they had a picture of a day when I was eating way off plan and high calories but that person wasn't too bright and didn't read my notes at the bottom. It was actually a day that I posted my husband's food intake for the day when we were discussing his dietary needs and if eating high fat with me was not a good idea to combine with his high carb way of eating.

I closed my diary to non-friends because I don't need people like that viewing my diary. I was rather surprised and dismayed by the juvenile behavior. I thought I was decades past having to deal with the junior high mindset. Sigh. :(
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My diary was open for many months but I recently closed it to anyone who is not a friend. Someone decided to go into my diary, after a LCHF debate, and took a screen shot of my diary which they posted with hopes to shame me. They THOUGHT they had a picture of a day when I was eating way off plan and high calories but that person wasn't too bright and didn't read my notes at the bottom. It was actually a day that I posted my husband's food intake for the day when we were discussing his dietary needs and if eating high fat with me was not a good idea to combine with his high carb way of eating.

I closed my diary to non-friends because I don't need people like that viewing my diary. I was rather surprised and dismayed by the juvenile behavior. I thought I was decades past having to deal with the junior high mindset. Sigh. :(

Uhhh that is messed up. I mean, this is MFP not FB. What an idiot, hahahaha