What's the one kitchen tool?

Options

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Food scale, followed by a food processor. Having a food processor makes it easy to slice, dice and shred veggies, which makes it easier for me to eat and enjoy.
  • 321BooM
    321BooM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Scales. I couldn't believe the difference between what I thought was a 100g portion (for example) compared to what it actually was when I weighed it
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Scale. It helped that I was used to using it for baking already.

I'm having a lot of fun with my new pressure cooker, though :smiley:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Food scale and blender
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The things I use everyday: scale, good knife, cutting board, small nonstick skillet, spatula for skillet. Several times a week: crockpot, measuring utensils and cups, medium pot with lid.

The digital scale is the one thing that has made the most difference.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale with tare function. Used it to help lose 95 pounds. Stopped using it and gained back nearly 25 pounds in the last 2 years. Yep - it's a must for me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Scale for sure. But I do like my spiralizer.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @s0987 The votes are in and by a large margin #1 = Scale.
    In addition to that my must haves are; Good Measuring cups, High Quality Knives, Crock Pot with Timer, George Foreman Grill, Freezer ( Budget Shopping = freezing on sale products) and the Good Old BBQ.
    I have enough Bread, Veggies and Meat ( Chicken Breasts, Pork Chops, Beef and Christmas Turkeys) frozen that I won't have to do a major shopping trip ( excluding Dairy and Fruit ) until the End of February.
    Thank You Post Christmas Sales.(Pre Christmas Turkey $45.00 - Post Christmas $15.00 )

Why is a Scale So Important ? Here are a few links to great posts by some MFP members.
    Your probably eating more than you think
    Logging accurately step by step guide
    How and why to use a digital food scale.

Some Stickied Topics that I recommend to all who are New to MFP as they helped me and I still refer back to them.
    Most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well the scale for sure.
    Followed by my cutting board and knives.
    And then the Ninja blender.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said.
    Scale
    Ninja Blender
    Pressure Cooker
    WOK
    (I hardly ever use my spiralizer, but it is cool)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Before you spend $$ to $$$$ on a spiral cutter, this works just fine to determine just how much you'll actually cook/eat foods cut in such a manner:

https://www.oxo.com/julienne-peeler-208

I have something similar--you can do all kinds of things with it and it is much cheaper (and easier to store) than a spiralizer. It works just fine for zoodles. I also use it a lot for carrots and sweet potato shoestrings.

You NEED a food scale. They are not optional. Beyond diet, it is just something that any decent cook should have and use.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Digital weighing scales, and a slow cooker!!!!!
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh! and LOTS of tupperware!!!!!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale 100%. Also crockpot. Measuring cups. I have 2 sets of measuring cups since now that I measure everything, my half cup and third cup are always dirty.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Oh! and LOTS of tupperware!!!!!

Yes!

I have a color-coded system involving Rubbermaid easy-find food storage with different colored lids. It's as much a household management thing as a diet thing, but they are really handy.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Scale followed by crock pot.

This is my kitchen life. Plus a rice cooker and cast iron skillet. 4 most used things in my kitchen.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Don't think I've seen this one yet.

Chopsticks.

Slows my normal two fisted shoveling of food into my mouth which gives my slow-talking stomach time to tell my brain when its had enough.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Having a partner who is willing to eat my less calorific dinners so I don't have to cook twice - bless him :)

Oh and a digital SCALE with a tare function lol
  • sandie25610
    sandie25610 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My ninja blender. I make the most yummy fruit/veggie smoothies. My ninja turns ice cubes into snow in mere seconds.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Here are my top 5 gadgets:
    1. Scale
    2. Crockpot
    3. Good knife
    4. Rice/all purpose steamer (can cook not only rice but also fish, veggies and other lean meats on top)
    5. Dishwasher safe cutting boards (I cut a lot of fruits and veggies and got tired of hand washing several times a day)