Is walking enough of an exercise?

Options

Replies

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey, if it is working for you and you enjoy it then stick at it. Weights, gym, running etc are not for everyone. Keep at it
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Used to run but now my knees are junk. Now I walk everyday - 75 minutes. I also use walking poles (but in trekking style (as opposed to nordic walking style) with the poles moving out ahead of your body.) Using poles helps with upper body and when I do cross country walks with my husband on weekends it helps keep balance on difficult or muddy terrain.

I love my poles when I am on the trails (I actually just use one. For some reason I balance better having a free arm). I don't use them normally, but a couple of people in my hiking club do because of bad knees.

Totally anecdotal but my brother and SIL took a trip to Machu Picchu with a bunch of friends (all in their early 60's, all fit). The walkers and bikers in the group had no trouble on the trails, especially the incline and the altitude, but the runners had a real hard time, even the ones who have had their knees replaced. One even had to be carried for part of the trail by the porter.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Used to run but now my knees are junk.

For the record......running does not damage your knees......

OP in terms of calorie burn a mile walked is a mile walked (mass over distance) in terms of cardiovascular benefit you will derive a greater benefit from bumping up the intensity a bit and raising your heart rate. Having said that you don't need to train for a marathon or bench press 200lbs to be healthy. Just getting out and being active puts you head and shoulders above the vast majority of the population.

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

However, if you already have knee issues, running can make them much worse or at the very least be uncomfortable. Good enough reason not to run with junk knees.

• vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love walking and usually go out 3-4 times a week for about 4 miles, or until I've gotten to the end of the chapter on whatever audio book I'm listening to. It's wonderful exercise that can be varied depending on whether I just need a mood lifter or am ready for a challenge.

That said, my body really didn't start to change until I started strength training. I'm still new to it but am gradually buying fitness equipment that I can use at home: adjustable dumbbells, mat, TRX, etc. I work one part of my body every day, rotating between lower body, upper body and core. It doesn't take that long and makes a huge difference to how I feel in my skin. And I still love my walks.

Mix it up, if you can. You may find it easier to stay engaged and your walks will become more and more enjoyable as you get strong.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

OP in terms of calorie burn a mile walked is a mile walked (mass over distance) in terms of cardiovascular benefit you will derive a greater benefit from bumping up the intensity a bit and raising your heart rate. Having said that you don't need to train for a marathon or bench press 200lbs to be healthy. Just getting out and being active puts you head and shoulders above the vast majority of the population.

If you do not develop a good running style you can damage a lot more than just your knees.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

If you do not develop a good running style you can damage a lot more than just your knees.

Citation?
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How about adding some light weights to that? You could wear them or carry them and you'll burn a few more calories while doing the same as you've always done. :smile: Also, you don't have to buy them. You can make them yourself.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I love to walk and am a big advocate of people going whatever they can given their current fitness level. At the same time we each need to kept pushing ourselves. If you're strolling with a book and faking this question, maybe that's a clue that you have the ability to pick up the pace a bit. Walk got the same length of time, but faster. Or go fast/slow intervals.

Sorry for the autocorrect, should say " If you're strolling with a book and asking this question, maybe that's a clue that you have the ability to pick up the pace a bit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. Period.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If walking is all you can do, or if it's all you want to do, then walk. Doing more is great, but not if you wind up burned out or in pain and want to quit. As for pace, distance, etc.: Do the best you can within your ability. Personally. I think walking the same distance but gradually increasing your pace is best. That way you can really see your improvement on the clock.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    IF a person weighs... 400 lbs... walking is awesome exercise... because person is humping a lot of extra weight on person's walk... if person needs to put rocks in person's pocket so a strong breeze don't blow him down the street like a dried leaf... then walking not going to be as much effort... moral of the story... what are your expectations? if you want more exercise add weight.. if you are enjoying a "maintenance" lifestyle ( IE not gaining or losing weight) then carry on...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    It's usually a casual stroll. Sometimes I walk on the treadmill and focus more on keeping a good pace and staying focused.. But normally I just carry a book or my phone and read for a few hours while I walk

That's what I usually do as well, partially because being able to read while walking makes the exercise more enjoyable for me, and partially because lately I've been having a lot of issues with my asthma so I've been avoiding anything that triggers it. Personally, I think any bit of activity is better than nothing. It certainly can't hurt. :)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As others have said, walking is perfectly fine. The calorie burn isn't mega-high, but it's good enough. I began weight loss by simply walking 5 miles a day. Later, I upped the intensity with running, and then workout videos, and now, after doing Insanity and an InsaniT25 hybrid for three months, I'm giving my body a break, and guess what? It's back to walking. :) I also do some yoga/stretching along with the walking. You do what works for you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just spent a week in Montreal, where we averaged 15,000 steps a day just strolling around the city. Despite eating our way across town, I didn't gain anything, and my hubby, who is sedentary, actually lost weight. I also noticed that unlike Americans, who hibernate in the winter, the Monteralers were all out and about, walking everywhere. Despite the plethora of cafes, pastry shops, and chocolatiers, I didn't see too many overweight people -- in fact, we were among the heavier people there. So, yes, walking is good. If you can read a book while walking, you might want to pick up the pace a bit.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Citation?

???
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're getting more than enough exercise for basic cardiovascular fitness. If you aren't doing any strength training, adding some would probably benefit you more than doing more cardio.
  • daphne944
    daphne944 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot at different speeds, for example:
    - when trying to catch the bus within the 4 mins I walk quite fast XD
    - When walking the dog, I alternate between fast and slow
    - At work I alternate between walk and jog
    - While going shopping, I walk leisurely
  • OldAssDude
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here is a walk i did a on 12/24...

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/330241032

you can see that i was in zone 4 & 5 most of the walk, and if you click on the "more" link (upper right) you will see that my average pace was 4.5 mph. So you can get a very good cardio workout by walking, but you have to push it.

I have a saying when it comes to power walking...

"If ya ain't huffin and puffin and sweatin... ya ain't doin it right"
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a Husky, that keeps me walking twice daily regardless of weather. I have 2 mile, 4 mile, and 5 mile routes to switch things up. Also he loves to run so I'll run occasionally with him. Usually I am sweating by the time I get back home....that's how I judge my 'workout'. One of the routes is wooded and not plowed in winter, so right now the only access is snowshoes....I am exhausted by the time I'm done. I also add a Zumba class once a week. I do need more strength work however.