Oatmeal

Options
I love oatmeal as a healthy breakfast or snack. I want to try different combinations to make my oatmeal more interesting but still healthy. What do you add to your oatmeal?

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oatmeal? It's not hot. It's cold. I use almond milk vanilla flavored, chia seed, oatmeal as a based and then I toss in fruits (raspberries, caramelized apple slices, peaches, mangoes).
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I add half a scoop of whey protein powder and some sort of fruit to mine. I like chocolate with banana or vanilla and berries. You have to mix the protein powder with a little bit of water before you add your oatmeal to it so that it's smooth. I've been having the chocolate banana one for breakfast every morning lately. It's also really good with a bit of peanut butter in it.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Basically you mix it the night before and refrigerate it for the next day!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You can also do overnight oatmeal in a slowcooker. I made an apple cinnamon one on Christmas day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have to add something to oatmeal for it to be filling.

Lately I've been eating instant steel cut with pumpkin, cinnamon, and Coffee Mate creamer

Another option: chopped nuts, banana and cinnamon.

If I make oats with milk, I get more protein.
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make mine slow cooked with fat free milk water using twice as much fluid as usual (takes longer to cook but there is more to eat for the same calories) then add unsweetened applesauce apple pie spice and a fe choped pecans. Like a warm apple pie.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like to make Irish Steel oats with a tablespoon of dried golden raisins with a little extra water. As it cooks, the raisins plump up and add sweetness without any other sugar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like adding honey, nuts, and bananas and possibly dried cranberries. Of course the calories add up really fast that way. I only eat it before long bike rides.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I add peanut butter and jelly to mine and it's fantastic.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I like mine with butter, brown sugar and a touch of maple syrup, but I consider that pretty healthy for a filling 270 calorie breakfast. Plenty sweet for me too.

l20zdz7lqf8n.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like to think i'm a genuis with this one, but i know others probably do this as well. LOL
    PBJ-Oatmeal-9629.jpg

I like to make pb&j oatmeal. I scoop out a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of jelly and plopp it on top. Then i swirl the top and eat away.

I have done it with fruits, nuts, etc. but i really just like plain pb&j oatmeal. Of course if you're watching cals you can use PB2 instead of plain peanut butter.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    You had me at peanut butter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually add protein powder and berries (I make steel cut oats in a rice cooker and add everything else after they cook). I'm more of a savory breakfast person (my usual breakfast is a vegetable omelet), so I'm intrigued by the idea of savory oats, though. Just haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Butter (and I make it with 50/50 water and milk).
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've been making oat flour tortillas - simply oat flour combined with a little water to form a dough, then flattened by rolling pin and tossed onto a hot pan. Been flavoring it up with my favorite ginger/cinnamon combo; but also savory spices like black pepper, Papa or Mama Dash, herbes de Province, allspice ... whatever my hand touches in the spice pantry.

Last night I combined the flour with half a raw avocado plus water. It came out messy but pretty good. Tonight I'm going to try it out as a kind of quickbread dough in the oven.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my weekday oats are pretty basic, but on weekends when I have more time I like making savory oats.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/savory-oatmeal-svoats-try-em-stick-to-your-bones_n_5850048.html

#10 on there is probably my favorite...I also really like the Kimchi one.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, hemp hearts and blueberries. Mix with oats and a little waterand let it sit overnight no need to cook (although I have eaten right away too). Other things I like to add in are Qia ( a mix of chia, hemp and buckwheat), berries, nuts, almond, bananas and cinnamon
  • tim201200
    tim201200 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love the flavor of oatmeal without adding anything, but when I do it's natural peanut butter or a little brown sugar
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Savory oats, y'all! Leftover veggies (usually onions and peppers, but also sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, whatever), leftover crockpot or rotisserie or bbq meats (chicken, pork), or sausage, or veggie sausage, or SALMON yes, salmon ermahgah. Cheese. Depending on what leftovers are in there, salsa or bbq sauce or soy sauce or sesame etc.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Savory oats, y'all! Leftover veggies (usually onions and peppers, but also sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, cabbage, whatever), leftover crockpot or rotisserie or bbq meats (chicken, pork), or sausage, or veggie sausage, or SALMON yes, salmon ermahgah. Cheese. Depending on what leftovers are in there, salsa or bbq sauce or soy sauce or sesame etc.

THIS.

Inspired by the classic southern "shrimp & grits" dish, I've been doing savory oatmeals for several months now. Sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach with about half a cup of canned petite diced tomatoes and then a heavy hand of cayenne and garlic powder is a GREAT way to start the morning!

But basically, if I'd put it in an omelet, I'll put it in my oatmeal!