are protein shakes/bars/chips etc processed foods?

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

I am shunning chicken breast too unless I catch a chicken in the yard.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think protein shakes/bars etc have their place.

If I had a hard workout, a couple of scoops of whey protein in some almond milk is a much more efficient way to reach my macros than trying to get that protein elsewhere. If I'm on the go and need a calorie boost, a Clif Bar is a healthy choice full of complex carbs my body can burn.

"Goddess knows what's in them." You do. You can literally read the label and it will tell you what in them.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

I guess that made them processed.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I think protein shakes/bars etc have their place.

If I had a hard workout, a couple of scoops of whey protein in some almond milk is a much more efficient way to reach my macros than trying to get that protein elsewhere. If I'm on the go and need a calorie boost, a Clif Bar is a healthy choice full of complex carbs my body can burn.

"Goddess knows what's in them." You do. You can literally read the label and it will tell you what in them.

Your point is well taken except the last sentence. Google this....its been found that protein supplement labels and food labels in general are off by as much as 40%
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Why does it matter?
  • NormInv
    Options

Why does it matter?

if you read the OP, you'd know why it matters
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Cannot wait to eat my delicious processed protein bar in the morning while simultaneously looking decent, and being fit and healthy.
  • NormInv
    Options

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.

organic would be less processed
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Why does it matter?

Read the OP...

Still don't understand why it matters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Of course they are. So're the steel cut oats I mix the protein powder with.

My favorite food out of a box or can or wrapper is the meat I get from a local farm. Or maybe the eggs from same. Or salmon or trout, which my fish vendor tends to wrap up when selling. Or maybe cottage cheese, Fage, or those pepperoncini peppers I love so.

And I admit a weakness for bagged greens -- so easy.
  • queenliz99
    Options

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.
  • NormInv
    Options

Why does it matter?

Read the OP...

i rest my case....processed food is B A D bad
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Why does it matter?

Read the OP...

If you raise your eyebrows a bit and say "ooooooooooo" afterwards...it'll sound even scarier. Like a ghost!
  • NormInv
    Options

Why does it matter?

Read the OP...

If you raise your eyebrows a bit and say "ooooooooooo" afterwards...it'll sound even scarier. Like a ghost!

while biting down on my pinky finger.....
  • NormInv
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.

it wasn't a trick question. I do take protein supplements....i know from prior research that labels are not accurate. also i don't know what trihedlidacide or oxymornoamitidites are. I could google but it will say they are some chemical ingredients.

so i was thinking if someone were to decide to get all their protein from natural sources, would that be a better approach. thats all.

now i know that some of you will say, well blood also has stupidahydrachlokardashianite in it, and i am sure it does....but the curiosity remains
  • queenliz99
    Options

Funny you say that, I have been pecked by chickens. I've scars to prove it. Chickens can be nasty critters.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

it wasn't a trick question. I do take protein supplements....i know from prior research that labels are not accurate. also i don't know what trihedlidacide or oxymornoamitidites are. I could google but it will say they are some chemical ingredients.

so i was thinking if someone were to decide to get all their protein from natural sources, would that be a better approach. thats all.

now i know that some of you will say, well blood also has stupidahydrachlokardashianite in it, and i am sure it does....but the curiosity remains

I'm not certain it matters in any significant manner. To be honest, I am certain I could meet my macros without it, but I'm a bit too lazy to put in the extra effort. A quick protein, veggie, fruit, chia seed smoothie in the morning keeps me going for a few hours and helps get my protein in. Quick and easy, but it works. I'm sure there are others out there who would shudder at the thought.

Do what works for you. Try eating it, try using the shakes, see if it makes a difference for you.