Orangetheory

Options
In love with Orangetheory workouts, but really bummed with results. I've been going 3-4 times per week for over 4 months. Gained 4 lbs and 1% body fat. My diet is pretty clean and hasn't changed. So I'm burning more calories than prior to starting OTF. Is this my body adapting and it will change? Suggestions? Just makes no sense to gain weight and fat doing this workout.

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Calories In is as important as Calories Out.
  • aperz1
    aperz1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1300-1800. The thing is diet has not changed so I should be losing. Intake has not increased but output has.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    aperz1 wrote: »
    1300-1800. The thing is diet has not changed so I should be losing. Intake has not increased but output has.

That's a pretty wide range...and leads me to believe that you're merely estimating caloric intake, rather than truly accurately measure it (via weighing solid foods and measuring liquids).

Take the next couple weeks, and measure and log everything you eat.

My guess is you're eating a lot more calories than you think you are. That's not a criticism - it's almost universally true for all people who try to estimate their calorie intake.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale ?
  • aperz1
    Options
    I hear you, but I'm telling you my diet is not different than prior to starting OTF. I don't eat the same amount every day. So, my output is most definitely greater than it was.
  • aperz1
    Options
    I really don't think weighing my food is feasible or the answer. I have a good idea of portion control.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Two words, food scale. You are eating more than you think or you are burning less than you think.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I really don't think weighing my food is feasible or the answer. I have a good idea of portion control.

Your actual results say otherwise
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Why isn't it feasible? It takes no more than several seconds per meal.
  • schibsted750
    Options
    I have a good idea of portion control.

I thought the same thing until I started logging religiously with MFP. It turns out that all those years, I had no ****ing clue about the relationship between portion size and caloric content.
  • aperz1
    Options
    I appreciate the advice.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Before starting this program, how steady was your weight? If you were slowly gaining weight before starting, the increased "Calories out" may not be enough to tip the balance and may just negate some of the "damage".
  • aperz1
    Options
    My weight had been the same for years.
  • aperz1
    Options
    The thing is the scale, calorie count still does not answer the question since my eating habits have not changed.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating extra over Christmas/New Years that would have changed your "normal intake" and made it higher than normal - negating the extra exercise?
  • aperz1
    Options
    No, not really. The weight gain has been slow since I started OTF
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The thing is the scale, calorie count still does not answer the question since my eating habits have not changed.

Scale does not lie.
  • schibsted750
    Options

Let's assume all the pounds you gained were fat. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so that means you ate 14000 excess calories in the 4 month period. Divided by 120 days that's 120 extra calories day.

120 calories is a relatively small number. To put things in perspective, it's a little more than the number of calories in a single banana, and a little less than the number in two cups of skim milk. You can't realistically expect to notice a fluctuation of that size without taking precise measurements. It's even harder if the surplus was distributed unevenly, say during all your post-workout meals. When you're eating after a workout you intuitively feel that there's nothing wrong with having a little more than normal, but as you can see, it's quite easy to overshoot the mark.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it is fairly common when people take on a new exercise program that their appetite and therefore their intake increases slightly. Not enough to really notice, but enough to basically equalize the cals they are burning. Perception when it comes to food can be a wonky thing. I always thought of myself as being a light eater my whole life, yet I was slowly but surely gaining weight through my thirties. Weighing and logging my food was an eye opener, and the key to me losing the weight. Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    One option is water retention due to exercise.

Another option is increased food consumption without you being conscious of it especially since you are neither logging nor weighing your food.

The 1% body fat increase is within the error margin for a DXA scan much less any other method you're using for your estimate... so it is irrelevant.

For that matter your estimation of what is happening with your weight might be off. Enter all valid weight data you have either in a free fitbit account which you then connect to trendweight.com or enter it manually into weightgrapher.com, or Libra for Android, or Happy Scale for iphone. What is your weight level trend actually doing?