Easy to make breakfast high in protein

Options

Replies

• brittanyaetheredge
    Options
    I don't cook much-this morning I ate two whole wheat waffles with peanut butter. I can take them in the car and it only takes a few minutes to toast a waffle. The peanut butter had 8g of protein, the waffles had 4.5g. Total calories 358, if you're also watching calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with the others, but my preferred choice in the morning is Fage Greek Yogurt with a little bit of honey or fruit.

dai_total_0_plain_01_z.jpg

I am positive you can find this brand in store. This little cups like above are 100 calories for 18g protein! To put that in perspective, it's like 3 eggs worth of protein. :) I add 2-3 sliced strawberries and a tablespoon of honey for a filling treat thats high in protein but also low in cals.

It's also awesome to add to smoothies, shakes, etc. Where you literally just throw stuff in a blender and press a button. Fool proof, i think.

I love eggs, but aint no body got time to be cooking first thing in the morning.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No need to stick to traditional breakfast foods either...it's ok to think outside the box

You said you're bulking - how about a nice juicy hamburger for breakfast?
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions above; I'm adding another vote for eggs and Greek yogurt - although I use egg whites too, for extra protein without too much fat. I get them by the quart carton in the egg section of the supermarket. Some breads are higher protein as well. Husband does a cup of 2% cottage cheese for 20 grams of breakfast protein (I can't choke it down, myself).

I alternate MWF and TThSat breakfasts so I don't have to think about them. I'm limited to 1200 to 1400 calories a day, so you probably need more than what I list below, but here's what I do:

MWF is Chobani Simply 100 Greek yogurt, a Fiber One English muffin, a tablespoon of almond butter, and half a fruit serving. That's 344 cals/53g carbs/9g fat/22g protein.

TTHSat is Fiber One 100 toast, 2 tsp whipped canola/butter spread, half a fruit serving, and a cheese omelette: 1 egg, 1/4 cup egg white, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Olive oil spray in the pan. Sometimes I'll throw in some chopped peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach, leftover bacon or ham - whatever I have handy. That's about 350 cals/32g carbs/17g fat/ 23g protein.

I've done the breakfast cups in the past too. Hubby won't eat those (prefers the omelette) so I stopped making them.

Good luck!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Copying from a previous post of mine:

For breakfast, get some cartons of egg whites at the store, mix them with an egg or two (in my case, 6 servings of egg whites and 2 large eggs), and scramble them. You can then add whatever you want and keep the variety going forever. In my case, this morning I heated some oil in a pan and threw in some chopped veggies (mushroom, onion, bell pepper) and a handful of spinach. Once the veggies were soft/cooked down, I added some Sriracha, and then the egg mixture and black pepper. A few minutes later I had a huge amount of filling and tasty egg scramble that amounted to ~400 calories.

My diary is public and you can see this breakfast today.
  • dvis334
    dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't cook much-this morning I ate two whole wheat waffles with peanut butter. I can take them in the car and it only takes a few minutes to toast a waffle. The peanut butter had 8g of protein, the waffles had 4.5g. Total calories 358, if you're also watching calories.

Now this is the definition of easy. Will be trying this tomorrow morning. Thanks!
  • dvis334
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I agree with the others, but my preferred choice in the morning is Fage Greek Yogurt with a little bit of honey or fruit.

dai_total_0_plain_01_z.jpg

I am positive you can find this brand in store. This little cups like above are 100 calories for 18g protein! To put that in perspective, it's like 3 eggs worth of protein. :) I add 2-3 sliced strawberries and a tablespoon of honey for a filling treat thats high in protein but also low in cals.

It's also awesome to add to smoothies, shakes, etc. Where you literally just throw stuff in a blender and press a button. Fool proof, i think.

I love eggs, but aint no body got time to be cooking first thing in the morning.

Haha! Eggs: Ain't nobody got time for that! Lol tell me more about this cutting edge blending technology lol jk thanks for the image. Now i know exactly what to look for at the grocery store :]
  • dvis334
    Options
    No need to stick to traditional breakfast foods either...it's ok to think outside the box

That's what im talking about!
  • dvis334
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »
    Good suggestions above; I'm adding another vote for eggs and Greek yogurt - although I use egg whites too, for extra protein without too much fat. I get them by the quart carton in the egg section of the supermarket. Some breads are higher protein as well. Husband does a cup of 2% cottage cheese for 20 grams of breakfast protein (I can't choke it down, myself).

I alternate MWF and TThSat breakfasts so I don't have to think about them. I'm limited to 1200 to 1400 calories a day, so you probably need more than what I list below, but here's what I do:

MWF is Chobani Simply 100 Greek yogurt, a Fiber One English muffin, a tablespoon of almond butter, and half a fruit serving. That's 344 cals/53g carbs/9g fat/22g protein.

TTHSat is Fiber One 100 toast, 2 tsp whipped canola/butter spread, half a fruit serving, and a cheese omelette: 1 egg, 1/4 cup egg white, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Olive oil spray in the pan. Sometimes I'll throw in some chopped peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach, leftover bacon or ham - whatever I have handy. That's about 350 cals/32g carbs/17g fat/ 23g protein.

I've done the breakfast cups in the past too. Hubby won't eat those (prefers the omelette) so I stopped making them.

Good luck!

Wow this is great info. Thanks for being so detailed. Can't wait to try all this out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

True. We eat rotisserie chicken once a week. I usually eat some of the leftovers cold the next day, often for breakfast.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I keep it simple. Take 200 ml of low fat milk, add 1 scoop of whey (chocolate, 30 grams), blend, add 50 grams of oats, microwave for 1-2 minutes and done. 391 calories, 37 proteins, 9 fat, 42 carbs. If you are bulking just add more stuff.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs (splash of water instead of milk to thin them down a bit) with cut up pre-cooked turkey sausage onions and pepper mixed in. fry the sausage and veggies together to soften the veggies a bit then add eggs and cook on medium until done. I add a little shredded cheese, if your macros can support it
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Two eggs with a serving of Jimmy Dean Turkey crumbles. Lots of protein and all you have to do is microwave the two together.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    dvis334 wrote: »

That's what im talking about!

Agreed. My teenage son doesn't care much for typical breakfast foods, but will devour last night's leftovers - pot roast, lasagna, chicken pot pie, whatever. He likes and needs the protein. As long as I can get him on the bus with real food in his stomach, that's cool with me.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I usually cook breakfast for hubby. However, when I'm deployed, he tends to spend a few hours once a month making a buttload of breakfast muffins. Bake, cool completely, throw them into a Ziploc and freeze, thaw a few at a time, nuke, and eat. This is where he lives...

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015/04/28-grabandgo-egg-muffin-breakfast-recipes-low-carbgluten-free.html
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    nothing more simple than scrambled eggs....you can even remove a yolk or two if you want to keep your fat and cholesterol low
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You can scramble eggs in the microwave in about a minute.

If you can use the microwave in the morning, which i can't. Lolololol
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Eat a lot of eggs! Here is my breakfast :-)se231vz1c3b5.jpeg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can scramble eggs in the microwave in about a minute.

If you can use the microwave in the morning, which i can't. Lolololol

I do microwave scrambled eggs quite often. Break two eggs in a bowl, stir them up, throw them in the microwave for about 40 seconds, done.

Other quick items are greek yogurt, lean turkey sausage patties (1 minute in the microwave for 2 of them), or pre-packaged hard boiled eggs (if you don't want to hard boil them in advance yourself). We keep several dozen hard-boiled eggs in the 'fridge at all times, they're quick breakfast food and can also be used in salads, egg salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, etc.

I also saved a great breakfast protein shake recipe from Alan Aragon that's filling enough to usually get me through until lunch (it makes a huge shake!):

14 oz room-temperature or cold coffee (make this the night before)
    1 frozen banana
    1.5-2 cups ice
    2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    2 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1 oz. walnuts

How to make it:
    Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until you hit your desired consistency. If you want a thicker shake, use 2 cups of ice.

Calories: 565
    Protein: 47g
    Carbs: 53g (Fiber 11g)
    Fat: 22g

Sodium 401 mg
    Potassium 1062 mg
  • michellehoover2
    michellehoover2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Re: cooking eggs, super hack trick that rocks:

- Boil water and then STEAM eggs (double boiler) for exactly 17 minutes and the shells peel off like magic every time.

- chill eggs and keep handy for on the go

- Make a batch of egg white "salad" and chill, later to put on breakfast toast or make sandwiches (I chop egg whites/food processor & add red onion, pickles, mustard, nonfat Greek yogurt to taste.)