Picky Eater :(

This eating healthy thing is so hard for a picky eater! I try new foods and often gag (gross I know). Any other picky eaters out there with some picky-eater healthy recipes? I am so stuck in my ways and need to break free!

Replies

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    You're just not hungry enough ;)
    What kinds of foods do you like, that might help with ideas?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    It would help to know what you mean by picky...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    xMinueTx wrote: »
    This eating healthy thing is so hard for a picky eater! I try new foods and often gag (gross I know). Any other picky eaters out there with some picky-eater healthy recipes? I am so stuck in my ways and need to break free!

So then eat what you like, just less of it.
  • xMinueTx
    xMinueTx Posts: 5 Member
    Eating the same foods over and over again. Romaine Lettuce, chicken breast, and 3 vegetables, cucumber, celery and carrots (but they all have to be raw because i have a weird issue with textures, especially cooked veggies). I grew up eating very unhealthy, fries, fruit loops, chicken nuggets, and have a hard time swallowing new foods. What types of food would be a good transition? People said cauliflower, but how can I dress it up so it doesn't get old fast?
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Well if you like crunchy veggies you're better off than many.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Eating the same foods over and over again. Romaine Lettuce, chicken breast, and 3 vegetables, cucumber, celery and carrots (but they all have to be raw because i have a weird issue with textures, especially cooked veggies). I grew up eating very unhealthy, fries, fruit loops, chicken nuggets, and have a hard time swallowing new foods. What types of food would be a good transition? People said cauliflower, but how can I dress it up so it doesn't get old fast?

I love to take come cauliflower, toss is in a little bit of "fryin magic" or flour, drizzle with buffalo sauce and bake it. It's crisp and is somewhat reminiscent of buffalo wings

I, like you OP, was an extremely picky eater. I wouldn't eat any vegetables other than carrots and potatoes. It was so bad that I would refuse to eat food that was mixed with anything I disliked. Especially onions or mushrooms, it was game over.

Frankly, I was embarrassed. I'm sure I hurt many peoples feelings about their cooking and restaurant staff hated my modifications to all the food. That embarrassment combined with a desire to be healthier, fueled me to give everything a try.

Some of the foods that I "didn't like" I hadn't tried since I was little, and let's be honest, my mom was no wizard at preparing vegetables that tasted good too. I was surprised how many vegetables I realized I loved. Roasted vegetables are amazing and carry such a great flavor. I went from eating only 2 vegetables and now I will happily eat anything other than tomatoes. It took a lot to conquer my fear of "bad food", but what I had to remind myself is that the ABSOLUTE worst that could happen is that I don't like the taste. That just means I don't have to take another bite. I wasn't going to die, my taste buds weren't going to be altered for the rest of my life. It would be limited to a few seconds of a taste I don't like. That risk was beyond worth it in the quest to find my health.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    As a picky eater myself, yes, i dont like lots of food. But of course there are foods, veges, fruits, meat etc that i like, and you should have yours too.. and i focused on those that i like and learn to variate the recipes so that i dont get bored with it. ..

*Most of the times i search for new healthier recipes on pinterest and few blogs like skinnytaste.com, Kayotic kitchen.com, Steamy Kitchen.com and etc.
    Most sites have their recipes sorted by ingredient. So, click on what ingredient that you like and look at the recipes listed for it. Sometimes they even list it according to the way its cooked. Easy. (personally i like recipes which have less ingredient and took less time to cook ;) ) Its easier for you to search yourself because only you know what you like best. :smile:

Seriously, i love to try new stuffs because there might be chances that i can add some to my already limited 'food that i like' checklist.. Sometimes, its just depend on the way it cook that decide whether i like it or not.. Good luck!

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    I saw a show where they took kids who were picky eaters and had them try different foods blindfolded. Maybe not pre-judging the food before you try it will help you like things you wouldn't even try before. Maybe you can get a friend or family member to help you with that? Maybe make a list of some fruits, veggies, protiens etc.. that you've been too scared to try and have them buy them and make you taste them blindfolded.

If you're gagging it seems like some sort of a mental response to the food, not a physical one. Most adults don't physically gag on cooked carrots, even if they don't really like them. They just say "I don't like that". There is a mental block there that is preventing you, and you should try to work that out.

If you like raw veggies, maybe you could try adding in some flavored dips to help warm up the taste buds. Hummus, dill greek yogurt dip, etc... Maybe add some different veggies with similar textures that you can eat raw - broccoli, bell peppers, etc... Maybe try some recipes that have very all ingredients that you like, but add in one new one each time?
  • xMinueTx
    xMinueTx Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It is a mental issue I am dealing with when it comes to food. I like the idea of the blind fold.. maybe I will try this with roasted veggies and see how it goes!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    erinc5 wrote: »
    If you're gagging it seems like some sort of a mental response to the food, not a physical one. Most adults don't physically gag on cooked carrots, even if they don't really like them. They just say "I don't like that". There is a mental block there that is preventing you, and you should try to work that out.

It could be ARFID, which I also struggle with. It is not so much a food preference as a food phobia. I don't particularly like fish but I'm not phobic with it, I just don't like it, but certain other foods can induce gagging and nausea, occasionally to the point of vomiting.

A typical method to deal with ARFID is to treat it like other phobias, using graded exposure therapy. Rate common foods that you can't currently eat in order from least aversion to most aversion, and tackle them in that order (always tacking the food you are least averse to). Incorporate new foods into more familiar ones, for example by adding new vegetables to a dish you already can tolerate.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »

It could be ARFID, which I also struggle with. It is not so much a food preference as a food phobia. I don't particularly like fish but I'm not phobic with it, I just don't like it, but certain other foods can induce gagging and nausea, occasionally to the point of vomiting.

A typical method to deal with ARFID is to treat it like other phobias, using graded exposure therapy. Rate common foods that you can't currently eat in order from least aversion to most aversion, and tackle them in that order (always tacking the food you are least averse to). Incorporate new foods into more familiar ones, for example by adding new vegetables to a dish you already can tolerate.

This. Gagging is a sign of something more profound than "I just
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »

This. Gagging is a sign of something more profound than "I just don't like it". My eldest son is an Aspie and has several textural aversions. Ease into it, try something that is least offensive first and try it several different ways. One texture may be awful and another may be totally acceptable.
  • rediup1018
    rediup1018 Posts: 5 Member
    Cauliflower can be mixed with potatoes for mashed potatoes equal amount and fix normally you wont even know there there
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Eat what you would normally eat :)
    There is really no need to start introducing anything that you wouldn't normally eat just because it's "Healthy". By all means, try new things when you get the chance as it's good to expand your food knowledge - but just eat what you want in moderation. Track your calories.

Personally, I'm not a HUGE fan of 'healthy food'. But I have found that having brocolli and peas with my dinner in the evening fills me up a lot more than just having a big chocolate bar.
  • rlsmith326
    rlsmith326 Posts: 9 Member

I use cauliflower to make pizza dough or mashed potatoes. turkey meat for some stuff.... like tacos or spaghetti hides the taste. i don't eat many veggies...mostly just spinach....extremely picky eater here!!!