are protein shakes/bars/chips etc processed foods?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    kkenseth wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

I am shunning chicken breast too unless I catch a chicken in the yard.

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

I guess that made them processed.

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.

organic would be less processed

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.

Funny you say that, I have been pecked by chickens. I've scars to prove it. Chickens can be nasty critters.

And people make fun of my fear of chickens and their beady little eyes.

They don't have beady little eyes after you chop their heads off and pluck their feathers. But then they are processed and less healthy :wink:

Your post, it rings true
    But it's just not a haiku
    And it's real gross, too.

Haiku rhyming foul
    Although my post may be gross
    It is less shameful

:tongue:

Must report dis post
    Attacking is not allowed
    Go away you troll

:angry:

@kkenseth
    I am so sorry
    You must have missed my tongue out
    Sarcasm font broke

:flowerforyou:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I admit, i am completely baffled in your op as to what the actual point was.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.

Funny you say that, I have been pecked by chickens. I've scars to prove it. Chickens can be nasty critters.

They don't have beady little eyes after you chop their heads off and pluck their feathers. But then they are processed and less healthy :wink:

I have a dreadful story regarding a chicken running around the yard without its head. It's not pretty.

Me too! I found geese to be meaner though.

Turkeys can be badbutts too.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    After head chopped off
    If bird power walks instead
    Is it still processed?

Only if it doesn't walk very far.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

I mean, does it have to be in the yard?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

Do chickens have talons?

Yes they do. I have a scar on my leg from a mean rooster we had when I was a kid.
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member

Why does it matter?

Why do you care why it matters to him lmao.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

Organic would be grown in different conditions but could be processed identically.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    There clean if you don't drop them after you take the packaging off.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I can't believe none of you made a comment that my haiku wasn't correct. I waited and waited for someone to say "that isn't a proper haiku!" Lol
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Why does it matter?

Why do you care why it matters to him lmao.

Why do you care why I care why it matters to him?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I can't believe none of you made a comment that my haiku wasn't correct. I waited and waited for someone to say "that isn't a proper haiku!" Lol

I noticed...but didn't want to derail this titilating discussion of protein bars into what is proper haiku form
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

To correct haiku
    Is against forum guidelines
    As is this haiku
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

Your post, it rings true
    But it's just not a haiku
    And it's real gross, too.

Haiku rhyming foul
    Although my post may be gross
    It is less shameful

:tongue:

Must report dis post
    Attacking is not allowed
    Go away you troll

:angry:

@kkenseth
    I am so sorry
    You must have missed my tongue out
    Sarcasm font broke

:flowerforyou:

Everything broken
    It's a sad forum world
    Still love you long time
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Do chickens have talons?

Not exactly talons, but they do have nasty spurs.

How do you calm a chicken? Put rose colored glasses on it:

de3ae951-a9b0-409e-8626-f6dd832c7f43_zpsbovlc0jk.jpg

Yes, these are real and yes, they prevent fowl from pecking an injured bird to death. The color keeps them from seeing blood. My Dad used to help out at a game farm putting these on the pheasants.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Absolutely correct. They are processed and come in a wrapper.

Is there seriously a 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet? The diet industry just gets crazier and crazier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Killing, bleeding, de-feathering, etc. is referred to as "processing" the chicken. :) Even if it comes from your yard.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member

That's where all the fiber is.